• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How I cured my sleep problem dramatically without side effects (Cissus Quadrangularis)

Did Cissus Quandrangularis improve you sleep

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

prioris

This post may help those trying to sleep. I didn't see the supplement mentioned by anyone.

Over 15 years ago, I had FMS for many decades. I cured it with the original minocin within one week. It has never come back. I was able to finally sleep restfully. As I aged the sleep problem started to creep back. I tried 5-DHT and tryptophan but had terrible side effects like headaches and anxiety. Those were not options for me.

Within last year, I was trying to cure tendonosis when I happened upon a supplement called Cissus Quandrangularis. I chose the Primaforce Cissus brand. I took it in the morning on empty stomach just to make sure I absorbed it. That night, I slept very restfully. I woke up restfully. I wondered if it was just a fluke reaction that would wear off but after taking it for at least last 6 months, I still have restful sleep. Not only that, it helps with pain. It is known to effect serotonin levels also. Even helps with testosterone. It had no side effects either.

Cissus has many other benefits. Ideally one should take it 30 minutes before a meal to get those other benefits especially to aid the bones and collagen probably to take advantage of the nutrients in the meal. It activates the fibroblasts, chondroblasts and oseoblast cells. I was taking it wrong for many months so didn't optimize the benefits.

https://blog.priceplow.com/joint-supplements/cissus-quadrangularis

I hope people sleeping badly give this supplement a try. You will know quickly whether it works. Please report back if it worked for you.

p.s. damn! i can't correct grammar and misspellings in title ... lol ... THANKS TITLE FIXED

my dosage was 3 tablets (1500mg). it was still effective even if took it at night. when i stopped taking it for one day, i could feel my sleep restfulness declining. So something one needs to take every day.

Last edited:

prioris

I remember when people use to say to take a deep breaths and that will relax you. Well that never relaxed me. I don't think these people really knew how they were getting relaxed. I came across something on you tube video that demystified and explained how it really works. I tried it and it worked.

There is a vagis nerve that runs from your brain through the rest of your body. Your diaphram is connected to this. That separates your chest and stomach area. When you breaths, one needs to breath through the stomach area. It needs to rise and fall. What this does is MOVE THE DIAPHRAM which stimulates the vagus nerve which in turn causes calming neurotransmitters to be released in your body. Well that's the theory anyway. This isn't particularly about sleep but it is something that may help people while their not sleeping.

prioris

I found out the solanine in the nightshade family of foods was poisoning me and the reason I had difficulty sleeping. I think it effected my breathing too.

I had know in the past year that boiled pototoes and ketchup were clobbering me but never could connect it with nightshade problems since I did not seem to have problem with tomato sauce, french fries. Also redand green peppers I didn't notice the effect. I thought I may have brain insulin problem but that was a dead end. In reading about autoimmune diets, nightshade was mentioned as something to eliminate. I decided to eliminate all these foods.

I am on week number three of detox and it is helping with other symptoms also.

I don't think chili peppers have solanine in them.

I was taking Cissus as a workaround which it did well where I could actually get rested so don't seem to need Cissus to sleep anymore but good to have as a back up.

Gondwanaland

I had know in the past year that boiled pototoes and ketchup were clobbering me but never could connect it with nightshade problems since I did not seem to have problem with tomato sauce, french fries.
I very rarely eat small amounts of fresh tomatoes (but never at dinner). Canned/bottled tomato products are a no-no for me. Recently I have added some capsaicin to my cooking with great pain relief. I also do well on potatoes as long as they are freshly boiled (I think the methyl donors from resistant starch activate xanthine oxidase).

What greatly helps me with sleep is seasoning my dinner potatoes (or quinoa, or chick peas, or cassava) with a tsp mustard (with whole seeds) + a tsp fresh parsely for their tryptophan content. Most of times I get very refreshing sleep, unless something triggers high levels of inflammation during the day.

How did your solanine detox go?

prioris

I very rarely eat small amounts of fresh tomatoes (but never at dinner). Canned/bottled tomato products are a no-no for me. Recently I have added some capsaicin to my cooking with great pain relief. I also do well on potatoes as long as they are freshly boiled (I think the methyl donors from resistant starch activate xanthine oxidase).

What greatly helps me with sleep is seasoning my dinner potatoes (or quinoa, or chick peas, or cassava) with a tsp mustard (with whole seeds) + a tsp fresh parsely for their tryptophan content. Most of times I get very refreshing sleep, unless something triggers high levels of inflammation during the day.

How did your solanine detox go?

I think I know why Cissus works for me. It blocks the cortisol receptors located all over the body from being affected by high cortisone levels. I have high cortisol levels. This will help a person decide whether it is suitable for them.

I gave come to the conclusion recently that my shoulder/arm pain us due to two problems - calcification and bursitis. When I detoxed from nightshades I got almost the fill range of my arm back. I was hoping it would solve the entire problem but didn't. I think it only helped the calcification so got my fuller range of flexibility back. After more analysis this month, I came to conclude I also have chronic bursitis. I did go down the bursitis path earlier last year but the calcification blocked any remedy. I just started this past week to replenish my synovial fluid with biocell HA. I take 5-LOX and curcumin for inflammation. I think this will take a couple weeks or more to take effect and nurse.

I have tried various supplements that balance cortisol but they give me methylation symptoms. I will dabble with basil extract after I get the bursitis under control.

When I get my bursitis managed, I will dabble with eating those foods moderately like once a week. Hopefully.

I am also decalcifying my body with very high dose MK4 and a little MK7.
I will do that over the next year at least.

Gondwanaland

I have high cortisol levels.
Me too. What are the effects of blocking the receptors?
I did go down the bursitis path earlier last year but the calcification blocked any remedy.
I was in a similar situation and what helped was magnesium malate. It dissolved a lot of whatever was deposited in my joints causing something like a gout crisis. 30 days later I had a blood test for uric acid and it was the highest reading I ever had, but I believe it was already much decreased from eating and taking every xanthine oxidase antagonizer I could put my hands on since the crisis.

However after I took the malate 2x I got overwhelming salycilate intolerance, and now I can't even eat half a cherry because it gives me breathlessness and nausea. So obviously I can't take the malate for as long it would be needed to dissolve the whole barnacles from my joints.

I take 5-LOX
This is the 1st time I see any reference to it
and curcumin for inflammation
I can't handle curcumin, I think because it antagonizes estrogen / promotes progesterone
I will dabble with basil extract
I usually get inflammation from Basil. I think research showed it increases Th1 response, or it has a hormonal effect similar to curcumin
I am also decalcifying my body with very high dose MK4 and a little MK7.
This is something I want to try, but 1st I need a non-salycilate blood thinner/ COX inhibitor. I have been finding systemic enzimes useful.

prioris

5-LOX was created to fix a known negative long term side effect of taking boswellia extract. It also has higher concentrations of active ingredient than boswellia extract. The Apres? whtever stuff allows better absorption also.

Magnesium is very important for calcification. I knew I was getting enough so I knew that wasn't the answer. I think one needs to take a 1 to 1 ratio of calcium to magnesium when using calcium. The only calcium one should ever use is MCHA calcium but never without cofactors. The best magnesium I ever took was Magtein. It is highly absorbed. It is only magnesium which crosses blood brain barrier so highly therapeutic. It may even address brain calcification. I take it every night. It was the only supplement that improved cognition. Too many of the other brain supplements cause methylation problem.

I used to take magnesium glycinate since it didn't cause diarrhea but it did cause methylation symptoms.

The active ingredient in Cherries and Malate is malic acid. When I was exploring the gout option, I found that supplements that worked for people had one thing in common - malic acid. The most direct and cheapest route to cure Gout for many people is using malic acid directly. You should be able to take malic acid. It doesn't contain salycilate from what I know.

I take 2000mg D3, 1 cod liver oil (~2500 retinolic palmitate) and the K2 supplement - Relentless Improvement K2 MK4 Mk7. I take first two items once a day and the K2 supplement 2 times a day. I swallow them with a little coconut oil to make sure the K2 absorbs. I have reduced my borax dose to 1 to 2 times a week so sort of maintenance just to make sure my parathyroid is getting nourishment.

I also take some Chanca Piedra for maintenance to protect against kidney and gallstones. It increases flow of bile and also removes calcium from body too.

I have discarded the Th1-Th2 ideas a while back. They aren't advancing knowledge in terms of practical solutions. I think those ideas will grow old and be discard. The immune system is very complicated so I would take what you read with a grain of salt. It all comes down to whether you can distill something that helps you. That's good to have your feed back about Basil.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

5-LOX was created to fix a known negative long term side effect of taking boswellia extract.
Interesting, this is also the 1st time I read about side effects from boswellia, even though I never tolerated it in the 1st place. I took 2 doses and got pain in all my joints at the same time, plus I kept burping incense :depressed:
Magnesium is very important for calcification. I knew I was getting enough so I knew that wasn't the answer. I think one needs to take a 1 to 1 ratio of calcium to magnesium when using calcium. The only calcium one should ever use is MCHA calcium but never without cofactors. The best magnesium I ever took was Magtein. It is highly absorbed. It is only magnesium which crosses blood brain barrier so highly therapeutic. It may even address brain calcification. I take it every night. It was the only supplement that improved cognition. Too many of the other brain supplements cause methylation problem.

I used to take magnesium glycinate since it didn't cause diarrhea but it did cause methylation symptoms.
From the types of magnesium I tried, glycinate was the worst (there's the glycine), and the only one I could take was magnesium oxide, but at some point I became intolerant to it - I think that is when my bursities started really bothering me. I will have to order a ionic magnesium to give it a go. Other intolerable forms were aspartate (excitotocity), citrate (tinitus + unwell feeling), sulfate (anything sulfate is just horriblefor me), chloride (my thyroid hates it), malate (salycilate intolerance), glycinate (my kidneys, lower back and calves hate it). I would only get diarrhea from MgO if I took over 600mg daily. Up to 600mg it never even helped with constipation, zero, zilch.
I take 2000mg D3, 1 cod liver oil (~2500 retinolic palmitate) and the K2 supplement - Relentless Improvement K2 MK4 Mk7. I take first two items once a day and the K2 supplement 2 times a day. I swallow them with a little coconut oil to make sure the K2 absorbs. I have reduced my borax dose to 1 to 2 times a week so sort of maintenance just to make sure my parathyroid is getting nourishment.
Vit D causes my thyroid antibodies to double, vit A worsens my hair loss, I didn't notice any benefeits from one month on MK7, MK4 needs a blood thinner to go along for me. I did wonderfully on boron for about a month then I started getting pain in a left parathyroid. Perhaps I need to take them all together...
I also take some Chanca Piedra for maintenance to protect against kidney and gallstones. It increases flow of bile and also removes calcium from body too.
When I tried chanca piedra I got brethlessness (salicylates) and low BP, perhaps a clogged gallbladder can produce this symptom?, it was being stimulated to empty itself but there was some obstruction? Ultrasounds never showed gallstones, but perhaps I have micro stones?
http://www.rain-tree.com/chanca.htm
The main plant chemicals in chanca piedra include alkaloids, astragalin, brevifolin, carboxylic acids, corilagin, cymene, ellagic acid, ellagitannins, gallocatechins, geraniin, hypophyllanthin, lignans, lintetralins, lupeols, methyl salicylate, niranthin, nirtetralin, niruretin, nirurin, nirurine, niruriside, norsecurinines, phyllanthin, phyllanthine, phyllanthenol, phyllochrysine, phyltetralin, repandusinic acids, quercetin, quercetol, quercitrin, rutin, saponins, triacontanal, and tricontanol.

BIOLOGICAL ACTIVITIES AND CLINICAL RESEARCH

It is little wonder that chanca piedra is used for so many purposes in herbal medicine systems: in clinical research over the years, the plant has demonstrated liver protective, antilithic (expels stones), pain-relieving, hypotensive, antispasmodic, antiviral, antibacterial, diuretic, antimutagenic, and hypoglycemic activities.
I have discarded the Th1-Th2 ideas a while back. They aren't advancing knowledge in terms of practical solutions. I think those ideas will grow old and be discard. The immune system is very complicated so I would take what you read with a grain of salt. It all comes down to whether you can distill something that helps you.
I agree with you
That's good to have your feed back about Basil.
If you are wanting the copper content, nettle tea feels better and in addition contains silica. Although I usually get benefits from teas no longer than 2 days :rolleyes:

Have you ever tried Gotu Kola for collagen synthesis? It is on my list to try.

prioris

Having the MTHFR problem, not being able to take b12 and folate stuff impairs my ability to use it for better cognition and keep a healthier brain. It does improve cognition then the rebound side effects causes excitotoxicty sp causes my occipital neuralgia and anxiety to become very unmanaged. After I get done with addressing the bursitis, I will go back to figuring out how to address the MTHFR problem.

Your in the same boat with the things you don't tolerate but worse in many ways given the number of things you can't tolerate.

What do you mean by - MK4 needs a blood thinner to go along for me.

I remember Rich Vank talked about rate limiting factors between the A, D3 and K2. Without enough of one could impair effectiveness of others. Ihaven't seen any MK7 studies proving it can remove calcification.

Another reason for the A, D3 and K2 is to regenerate or strengthen the dentinal tubes circulation in my teeth. I want to achieve self healing teeth that self protect themselves. I hate dentists because they are not true healers and their treatments are damaging to the health of the teeth in the long term. They are out to make a buck over the patients health.

Gondwanaland

Having the MTHFR problem, not being able to take b12 and folate stuff impairs my ability to use it for better cognition and keep a healthier brain. It does improve cognition then the rebound side effects causes excitotoxicty sp causes my occipital neuralgia and anxiety to become very unmanaged. After I get done with addressing the bursitis, I will go back to figuring out how to address the MTHFR problem.
Don't you get gout symptoms from folate? I get excess purines from B2 and folate. Folate will only inhibit xanthine oxidase if taken at high doses (10+mg), but I can't go that route with all my issues. What really helps in that front is coffee + dark chocolate. I have read somewhere that plant xanthines compete with our xanthines and inhibit them and that is my impression. The moment I feel best in the day is after breakfast when I take coffee "sweetened" with 80-90% chocolate.
Your in the same boat with the things you don't tolerate but worse in many ways given the number of things you can't tolerate.
I am trying to find the blocked gears in my metabolism. I am much better now, I can tolerate a lot of stuff again, I have been rotating my foods nicely, I finally got organized and can cook for several days and freeze the food so I can have different meats and vegetables in a week.
What do you mean by - MK4 needs a blood thinner to go along for me.
I took MK4 only once 2 years ago and had the worst inflammation ever - recently topped by the malate reaction... So I have a block in there. In 2011-12 I was on warfarin, so for 1.5 years I had no K2 in my body.
The inflammation seems to come from dissolving joint "barnacles" both from MK4 and malic acid, I am not sure on the cascade it triggers, but it sure thickens the blood with a lot of junk.

I agree with you about dentists

prioris

I need B2 riboflavin every day or else I get sore eyes, eye infections etc. I have deficiency. I am trying to cure my prebyopia so experimenting with oral carnosine etc. There is suppose to be a product called EV06 coming out in 2018 or later that dissolves the lense hardness relatively quickly.

MethylFolate causes anxiety, jittery, excess excito transmitters my causes occipital neuralgia ON pain. Even a tiny tiny bit. I am very very very sensitive. Something in chocolate ... likely the tyrosine ... causes ON pain etc. These wreak havoc on me. I can only eat a tiny amount of chocolate every know and then.

When I take methylFolate initially, it has positive effect but later on a very bad rebound effect even tiny amounts so like many people in this forum I can't touch it. I can't touch methylcobalamin either. I can withstand the other cobalamin just a tiny bit. chocolate has a rebound effect also.

I think with the dissolving of crystals you will have some painful symptoms, it seems like part of the healing process with gout according to some anecdotal reports. I don't think the dissolving barnacles will cause the pain. It would be that K2 MK4 is interacting with gout healing process but I don't see how vitamin K related stuff could do that. You really need to test it a bunch of times to be sure. one time may have been a just a coincidence.

I would recommend that you look into Cordiart and pomegranate for you arteries. Endothelian dysfunction is why most people die of heart disease. If that doesn't get them then the calcification will. I want to clear that stuff up before they start putting stents in me and doing heart bypass surgery. I rather be dead if it gets to that point.