• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else get hard lumps in the armpit?

rosie26

I felt a hard lump under my right armpit about two weeks ago and it disappeared after a couple of days. Now I have a second one which I felt this morning in the shower. Wondering if these are my lymph nodes. I'm thinking of going to the doctor this afternoon while it can still be felt.

Does anyone else get this on a regular basis or every now and again? I can't remember ever having lumps like these in my armpits until recently.

TigerLilea

I felt a hard lump under my right armpit about two weeks ago and it disappeared after a couple of days. Now I have a second one which I felt this morning in the shower. Wondering if these are my lymph nodes. I'm thinking of going to the doctor this afternoon while it can still be felt.

Does anyone else get this on a regular basis or every now and again? I can't remember ever having lumps like these in my armpits until recently.
Definitely get that checked out because breast cancer lumps can sometimes be found in the armpit rather than the actual breast. It's probably nothing but always better to be safe than sorry.

Seven7

Seven
My Cfs "lymph pain" is under left arm, and left groin, I know I always assume when plp say lymph pain for Cfs would be in the throat( now I have one giving me issues ) but for 10 years was mostly those.

Cohen2

Yes I get swollen lymph nodes in my armpit sometimes. Usually have a bit of pain with them. Worth getting looked at. One time they investigated me for cancer as one got so big.

IreneF

I used to. I thought they were lymph nodes but was told they were fibrous lumps. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but they've gone away as my health has improved.

Skippa

Anti-BS
I used to get ths after exercise, either after running or lifting weights. They were quite painful too.

Doc says it was my lymph nodes reacting to something, and the CFS doc later took this as a diagnostic sign when confirming CFS.

Haven't got them since I stopped doing "hard" exercise.

rosie26

Thanks for all your replies. I had wanted to reply everyone separately but I have such a sore head today that hurts to think.

I saw a doctor yesterday and he has given me a topical antibiotic to put on. He was going to prescribe oral antibiotics but I told him I wasn't keen to take them unless I really had to because my last experience over a year ago was pretty terrible. So he wrote out a prescription for the topical instead.

If I keep getting these lumps coming up I may have to do a course of oral antibiotics though. :nervous: It's so strange to be getting these lumps. I've never had these before that I can remember.

rosie26

Yes I get swollen lymph nodes in my armpit sometimes. Usually have a bit of pain with them. Worth getting looked at. One time they investigated me for cancer as one got so big.
Yes, my one was painful too. How big was big?

I used to. I thought they were lymph nodes but was told they were fibrous lumps. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but they've gone away as my health has improved.
Are fibrous lumps painful when pressed? If so it could distinguish between lumps.

rosie26

@Skippa and @ryan31337 I have been overdoing it a lot lately. I never used to get this as a warning symptom like you guys but it's interesting because I have been feeling a few of my warning symptoms, the pain in the jaw and another tweaking pain in another part of my body (this one happens in a weird place, I can tell ya, lol, but always the same spot).

rosie26

Pleased the lump under my arm is not painful now and has reduced in size to about the size of a pea. Both times these lumps have reduced over a period of 3-4 days.

Thanks everyone for sharing your similar experiences.

Tunguska

I had a painful one in the armpit, but just lived with it. Doctor suggested oral antibiotics same as you, but I opted not to treat. Now haven't had it in... 8-10 months? Time is a blur. There's been significant diet and supplement changes and also less physical activity, but I don't remember exercising much while I had it in the first place.

This is a shot in the dark, but it might have been related to a supplement I was taking, I'm thinking Uridine MonoPhosphate/Citicoline, because uridine can trigger the immune system (known thing - see Leflunomide). And it happens I haven't taken that one much this year. I also never had the lump in my life at any time before I first tried uridine. I'm not anxious to try to confirm this but if I try uridine again (but I'm avoiding it) and it comes back I'll let you know.

Tunguska

Also - methylfolate. I haven't taken that one recently, but was doing doses several times the RDA before. From 2 seconds in google I can't re-find the link to the immune system I thought I read about it, but I'd suspect that one in any abnormal growths.

rosie26

I had a painful one in the armpit, but just lived with it. Doctor suggested oral antibiotics same as you, but I opted not to treat. Now haven't had it in... 8-10 months? Time is a blur. There's been significant diet and supplement changes and also less physical activity, but I don't remember exercising much while I had it in the first place.

This is a shot in the dark, but it might have been related to a supplement I was taking, I'm thinking Uridine MonoPhosphate/Citicoline, because uridine can trigger the immune system (known thing - see Leflunomide). And it happens I haven't taken that one much this year. I also never had the lump in my life at any time before I first tried uridine. I'm not anxious to try to confirm this but if I try uridine again (but I'm avoiding it) and it comes back I'll let you know.
Also - methylfolate. I haven't taken that one recently, but was doing doses several times the RDA before. From 2 seconds in google I can't re-find the link to the immune system I thought I read about it, but I'd suspect that one in any abnormal growths.
Yes, it's is interesting your thoughts on the uridine. I wondered the same thing but about the multivitamin and B Complex I have been taking, though I have only been taking both 1x a week and only started doing this about 3 weeks ago as a regular weekly thing. The only other new thing in the last month has been my three trips to the beach where I made sure to swallow some seawater each time and let the seawater get up my nose, that last bit wasn't hard, lol, it happens naturally with some incoming waves. Actually, also I have not been taking my HRT as regularly over this last month.

I will update this thread if I get any new lumps and would be interested to hear if you do too and other members if they would like to mention it as well.

@Tunguska Around what age are you? If you don't mind mentioning.

rosie26

I have one. It was biopsied some years ago, apparently it is breast tissue.
Thanks Ritto. Interesting to hear the result of your biopsy. Sorry you have had to deal with this though. Is this breast tissue lump one that could change over time or is it a benign lump mainly or more commonly in regard to breast tissue lumps?

me/cfs 27931

I got small tender lumps in my armpit and breasts for the first 3 years or so of illness. After that, I no longer had them.

I assume they were swollen lymph nodes. They always went away after a few weeks.

Edit: I should mention I'm male, and at the time 15-18 years old.

Last edited: