• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oh Oats......

Timaca

This illness is so multi-faceted!

For sure I have infections that reactivate....HSV1 being one of those and Cox B4 the other. I can tell when that happens and it isn't fun and puts me down.

Then I have bouts of fatigue that don't seem to result in an HSV1 or Cox B4 reactivation. So I'm not sure if that fatigue is infection related or other related.

And then there is food issues. I have MULTIPLE food intolerances. Just 2 days ago I tested oats for the second time. The first was over 2 years ago and that didn't go well so it took me this long to want to test it again.

I ate 2 small spoonfuls of cooked oatmeal (about 1 tablespoon dry). Within an hour I started to feel kinda anxious, but I dismissed that as maybe being part of my overall illness. Then my knees started hurting when I walked up and down the stairs (that was about 2 hours after eating the oatmeal). Then at 2 1/2 hours my headache started. This was at 9 pm meaning I didn't sleep well that night. I had nightmares when I did sleep. Yesterday my left foot started to burn, my head started to burn (nerve pain), my right hand became painful. I also got a petechiae in my mouth.

I slept better last night, but not after 4 a.m. due to my headache. My knees and hand are better. Hopefully that will continue.

So, no more oats for me. That sealed it! All that from one tablespoon of dry oats! Geesh!

Right now, food wise, I am avoiding all animal protein except really fresh fish, all grains but rice, corn, nuts and seeds. Soy I can eat small amounts of but not days in a row (or my hand hurts).

Well, at least I settled that. Too bad. It's a bummer to not be able to eat the common grains available in the USA. At least I can eat rice!

Wishing everyone a better 2017!

Tina

shannah

Ridiculous isn't it.
A couple of spoonfuls of oats sets off an unbelievable sciatica flair that will last for days.
Can't eat rice either.

Timaca

Ridiculous isn't it.
A couple of spoonfuls of oats sets off an unbelievable sciatica flair that will last for days.
Can't eat rice either.

Ugh. I am so sorry. Yes, it is ridiculous and also quite shocking to me....... Do you have other food intolerances?

shannah

I've gathered more intolerances with every year of being ill @Timaca and the ones that were once mild have become more severe.

About the only things I don't react to noticeably is chicken and green grapes after the mould around the end has been cut off.

Tammy

I noticed the more I cleaned up my diet..........the more unforgiving it became if I ate something I shouldn't have. The foods that affect me the most are grains, eggs, processed sugar, dairy, corn. Tina...........I have also limited my animal protein. Fish only for me...........with an occasional cheat. When I'm really good with the diet I can definitely tell a difference in how I feel. When I start cheating I feel the sluggishness, brain fog, and aches and pains coming on. I believe the particular foods I'm sensitive to are feeding some bad pathogens.

Last edited:

Timaca

I noticed the more I cleaned up my diet..........the more unforgiving it became if I ate something I shouldn't have. The foods that affect me the most are grains, eggs, corn, processed sugar, dairy, corn. Tina...........I have also limited my animal protein. Fish only for me...........with an occasional cheat. When I'm really good with the diet I can definitely tell a difference in how I feel. When I start cheating I feel the sluggishness, brain fog, and aches and pains coming on. I believe the particular foods I'm sensitive to are feeding some bad pathogens.

Tammy, we seem to have to avoid many of the same foods! In addition, I seem to have to watch the histamine content of foods....also blueberries and strawberries were problematic last summer. I will test them again this summer.