• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bateman-Horne Education Center - March 2017 Education Meeting

From their Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/batemanhornecenter/

16730152_1038218499616231_7883506127883820374_n.png

Our March Education Meeting will be so special! Join us for part one of our two part series "Living With a Spouse who has ME/CFS and FM." Part one will feature a panel of husbands living with ill wives with April's meeting featuring wives!

We cannot wait to hear this different perspective! What questions will you be asking on March 1?
There will be a livestream from their Facebook page and also will be recorded to go up on their Youtube channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjdso7oUeJT90mL0PdHr0vQ

Personally, I'm not sure I quite get why the split into two parts, why not just have a mix of the sexes. If you are going to split things up like this, healthy husbands with ill wives and then healthy wives with ill husbands, then surely you should be looking to do healthy husbands with ill husbands as well as healthy wives with ill wives as well, or is that a bit too liberal?

Personally, I'm not sure I quite get why the split into two parts, why not just have a mix of the sexes. If you are going to split things up like this, healthy husbands with ill wives and then healthy wives with ill husbands, then surely you should be looking to do healthy husbands with ill husbands as well as healthy wives with ill wives as well, or is that a bit too liberal?

Given that I read the heading as 'husbands who have 3 wives'. (Roman numerals III), perhaps your suggestion isn't liberal enough...

Last edited:

Binkie4

I am incredibly serious .......sorry................so am interested in the March 1st meeting as an ill wife. Feels terrible to be so inadequate.

⁉️⁉️⁉️⁉️♿️♿️

I am incredibly serious .......sorry................so am interested in the March 1st meeting as an ill wife. Feels terrible to be so inadequate.

⁉️⁉️⁉️⁉️♿️♿️

Hi @Binkie4 , I didn't intend to make light of this topic.

I know from experience how serious it is and how important that it be discussed.

I speak as one whose husband simply couldn't cope with having a sick wife - not what he signed up for! So on top of being ill, I ended up as a single parent. Better than being constantly made to feel guilty and inadequate for not living up to expectations. That was all decades ago. I'm not bitter about it, just sad that the partner I chose was one who couldn't handle the situation.

I hope the discussion is helpful to both partners in couples where one has ME.

Binkie4

Hi @trishrhymes
I clearly had a sense of humour failure.
My daughter and wonderful grandchildren left yesterday after a two night stay and I was and am crashed. Husband did absolutely everything so feeling very inadequate ; not because of anything he said, just that I am frightened as we age, that the weight of it all will hurt him and/ or the rest of the family. So the topic spoke to me.
I am sorry that your husband couldn't hack it. He lost someone with great humour - his loss!!

Hi @trishrhymes
I clearly had a sense of humour failure.
My daughter and wonderful grandchildren left yesterday after a two night stay and I was and am crashed. Husband did absolutely everything so feeling very inadequate ; not because of anything he said, just that I am frightened as we age, that the weight of it all will hurt him and/ or the rest of the family. So the topic spoke to me.
I am sorry that your husband couldn't hack it. He lost someone with great humour - his loss!!

Sense of humour failures are definitely allowed. In fact I'd say obligatory with this f***ing illness.

Feeling inadequate is pretty inevitable, I'd say. Just think of the wonderful opportunity you are giving your family to feel needed, helpful and show their caring side.

Thanks for the sympathy. And the compliment.

Binkie4

Thanks.
Doubt I will stay up to watch it live so the utube will be useful.
On the other hand, if I'm awake as I often am then, it will be tempting to watch. Not good for sleep hygiene! One thing with this illness, people are posting round the clock so there's company through the long watches of the night.

Sadly it looks like they struggled with technical issues during broadcast. The video is available on YouTube,
, skip the first 20 minutes as that is them trying to get microphone issues fixed, unfortunately it seems they didn't fully resolve them as the sound is still fuzzy all the way through.

Binkie4

@AndyPR
What a shame! Do you think they will be able to clean it up a bit? Have just moved to the fuzzy bit and could not listen to that. Maybe on a good day?

Edit: later it improves a bit but still fuzzy. Maybe manageable- I will try later.

@AndyPR
What a shame! Do you think they will be able to clean it up a bit? Have just moved to the fuzzy bit and could not listen to that. Maybe on a good day?

Edit: later it improves a bit but still fuzzy. Maybe manageable- I will try later.
They may be able to clean the audio up, I'm not really knowledgeable about that sort of thing though to be honest.