• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NIAID Joins Trans-NIH Effort to Develop Centers for ME/CFS Research

Kati

Patient in training
https://www.niaid.nih.gov/grants-contracts/funding-news-february-15-2017#niaid

The following was part of a NIH newsletter called NIAID Funding News February 2017

NIAID Joins Trans-NIH Effort to Develop Centers for ME/CFS Research

NIH and NIAID are committed to supporting research that furthers understanding of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). To that end, NIAID has joined two companion funding opportunity announcements (FOAs) that foster a multidisciplinary research approach.

Both FOAs will be funded through cooperative agreements; to learn about this type of award, refer to Just for “U”: A Closer Look at Cooperative Agreements, in our May 4, 2016 issue.

ME/CFS Collaborative Research Centers (CRCs) – U54(link is external)

This initiative’s overarching goal is to establish a network of Centers that will work collaboratively to identify the causes of and discover improved treatments for ME/CFS. A more immediate goal for the Centers is to rapidly advance interdisciplinary research programs and serve as local resources and national leaders in ME/CFS research. 

Examples of responsive research projects within NIAID’s mission are as follows:

• Studies, including microbiome-related studies, on the etiology and pathogenesis in ME/CFS, such as the elucidation of infectious etiology of ME/CFS and physiological and genetic host determinants involved in ME/CFS manifestations
  • Identification of potential triggers or modifiers of immune responses or immune cell metabolism that contribute to ME/CFS
  • Application of current methodologies (e.g., immune phenotyping) or computational modeling to better characterize human immune responses triggered in ME/CFS
  • Identification of immune/inflammatory biomarkers in cerebrospinal fluid, blood, urine, and other accessible bodily samples that can identify physiologically relevant subgroups of ME/CFS
Note that applications proposing clinical trials will be considered nonresponsive. See NIH Definition of Clinical Trial(link is external)pdf.

Your application budget, which is limited to $1.2 million in annual direct costs, must reflect the project’s actual needs. The maximum project period is five years.

Data Management and Coordinating Center (DMCC) for the ME/CFS CRCs – U24(link is external)

This FOA invites applications for a single DMCC that will provide infrastructure and support to the individual ME/CFS Centers. Functions include overall project coordination, administration, data management, and statistical and regulatory support.

You may request up to $750,000 in annual direct costs. The project period is limited to five years.

Due Dates and More Information

Optional letters of intent for either FOA are due 30 days before the application due date. For both opportunities, the earliest submission date is April 2, 2017, and the application deadline is May 2, 2017.

Find full application details in the January 27, 2017 U54(link is external) and U24

Knockknock

Jaaaa this sound really AMAZING!!!
Especially coming from the NIH itself!!!
Any thoughts??????

AndyPR

Knockknock

This sounds interesting & dare I begin to get my hopes up?
Keep emotions in control, lol
They said in 2015 finally that they were neglected to ME/CFS, they recognized as a real cronic illness they said that the action was in the immune system, they said they will use all their fire power to crack down this disease.
Now almost 2 years later they have done nothing!!!
Very little, always putting objections, yes they double up funding but 10-15 million is not even close to crack down this disease thats not even close to using all their fire power.

Use all their fire power is put the urgency that they promised and that this illness deserve, get together all the famous virologist And ME/CFS good doctors and researchers and fund them with no objections to find out everything about this disease from etiology to mechanism and disfuntions testing treatment.
After the publication of francis callins from NIH IN 2015, most of the NIH close friends in canada, in Uk still playing the game of not recognizing the illness for what its.
This is a bad sign.

Kati

Patient in training
As I said on top, this is part of a NIAID newsletter shared to potentially tens of thousands of subscribers, many of whom are in the scientific community, including universities, researchers, etc. This was not aimed at patients who already knew this information.

I think we need to be grateful that we are getting this kind of exposure in order to attract new researchers in the field. This is exactly what is needed.

Of course, the progress is slow. We have been fighting stigma and contempt for decades now. But this step may, along with the various efforts from our researchers, patient campaigns, and films such as Forgotten Plague and @JenB 's Unrest will all contribute in hopefully a breakthrough and a much needed 'aha' moment at NIH.

Last edited:

Knockknock

As I said on top, this is part of a NIAID newsletter shared to potentially tens of thousands of subscribers, many of whom are in the scientific community, including universities, researchers, etc. This was not aimed at patients who already knew this information.

I think we need to be grateful that we are getting this kind of exposure in order to attract new researchers in the field. This is exactly what is needed.

Of course, the progress is slow. We have been fighting stigma and contempt for decades now. But this step may, along with the various efforts from our researchers, patient campaigns, and films such as Forgotten Plague and @JenB 's Unrest will all contribute in hopefully a breakthrough and a much needed 'aha' moment at NIH.
Agree!!!
100%
Also Plague by Dr Judy Mikovits,
We all
Know what happened to her but many doctors and researchers still belive that her findings are not far from the truth.
Look what Dr Jaime Deckoff jones recently published.
To me seem very credible.

http://www.x-rx.net/blog/

Knockknock

The more activity and expousure we have the more awareness.
We are not even close but defenetly in a much better position than decades ago.
I didnt mean to down play or discourage you on your post.
I you felt that way i apologize.
Thank you for sharing that with us.

Kati

Patient in training
Agree!!!
100%
Also Plague by Dr Judy Mikovits,
We all
Know what happened to her but many doctors and researchers still belive that her findings are not far from the truth.
Look what Dr Jaime Deckoff jones recently published.
To me seem very credible.

http://www.x-rx.net/blog/
Look, there is no need to bring back Dr Mikovits in this current thread. The XMRV paper has been discredited. dr D-J is probably JM's closest friend. She has not publshed a paper about her theories, and a mere blog post is simply not how researchers discuss their views. The language of science is shared via peer-reviewed papers.

duncan

The language of science is shared via peer-reviewed papers.
And Lord knows there is never any double speak in that language, and peer-reviewed papers never indulge in closed loop cronyistic inbreeding. Mere blogs and forums and such - anyone with any science pedigree knows to shun them. ;)

Knockknock

Look, there is no need to bring back Dr Mikovits in this current thread. The XMRV paper has been discredited. dr D-J is probably JM's closest friend. She has not publshed a paper about her theories, and a mere blog post is simply not how researchers discuss their views. The language of science is shared via peer-reviewed papers.
I have notice Lot of other members of the forum have mention Dr D-J in some other threats, i though will be interesting to share that, but i can see many of the people in PR dont like comments that contemplate the idea that Me/cfs it could has a retroviral or infectious etiology.
Even though is been sorrounding Me/cfs from the very bigging.
I know they all have been discredited like mikovits, but was not only her, also silverman,( or not replicated) like Dr Defreitas.

People go right away to challenge your post.

Going back to the subgect,
It will be great if NIH come thru with all this published.

Knockknock

And Lord knows there is never any double speak in that language, and peer-reviewed papers never indulge in closed loop cronyistic inbreeding. Mere blogs and forums and such - anyone with any science pedigree knows to shun them. ;)
Lol,

Knockknock

I Was laying in bed last night and my wife asked me what are you doing so much on the phone ?? My answer was quick, I became a member of this amazing forum( PR) people exchange opinions, personal experiances, treatments that have been effective for them and others ideas etc...
she quickly said let me see and grabed my phone?
I wasnt sure if she was been jelous or what??
The first question was why is this member telling you not to mentioned Dr Mikovits? She is good person that have dedicated her life to research, with extensive back ground, cancer, hiv, viroligy, etc, she may of been wrong about XMRV, ( many here believe she is not all that wrong, it may not be XMRV, but posible an other related retrovirus) but even if she was wrong about, that doesnt make her a bad person, she still fighthing for autism, cfs etc..also Dr Jaime Deckoff Jones is a surgeon a Doctor with degree's from diferent university's including HARVARD,
To add more, her and her daughther have ME/CFS, that alone with the fact that she is a doctor!!

I figured !!! who it could be more trust worthy& credible than a Doctor like Jaime DeckOff Jones with her background and her personal experiance caring and treating for her and her daughthers CFS all this years, adding that they have managed to keep it mild and have had a lots of improvements and success on her treatments including the used of NARTS.

Them my wife askme what is wrong with you taking about any of them or if they are friends??

I really couldnt answere her.
She said to me, we all know the very little funding and interest that our Goverments have had for CFS all this years, most of the clues and the stuff that we know it is thanks to the pernonal experiance of all this doctors treating patients.
I couldnt answere her question, i dont understand either, she just droped the phone looked at me in a wird way and said "ok keep doing what you are Doing "you and your forums.
I stayed like this
I sleep like this
I waked up like this

Last edited: