• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

is celebrex as bad for gut as older COX inhibitors?

ebethc

I thought celebrex was okay on gut; older NSAIDS are, of course, not... Today someone told me that it's just as bad... Does anyone know?

adelheid55

I take it since many years but not permanently. Just when muscles or head aches. I have had serious problems with other NSAIDs like Gastritis but Celebrex is OK for me.

Mohawk1995

Celebrex was the only NSAID our son could take during his years of suffering with ME/CFS. He had significant gut issues with any other one. Did not take it all the time, but went through periods where he took minimal doses daily for months.

alex3619

In theory Celebrex should not do much damage to the gut. It is in a class of drugs called COX-2 inhibitors. I would not say it does no damage at all, but it would be much less than older NSAIDs. Now if there is specific data to the contrary I think we should be asking where is the data?

I do not think any NSAID is safe in high doses for long periods. However I think, gut issues aside, there are some that are much safer. IIRC Naproxen is associated with increased life expectancy, and its one of a few not associated with decreased life expectancy. However Naproxen is still going to damage the gut lining. These drugs do this by inhibiting eicosanoid synthesis, and without these eicosanoids the gut lining is not rapidly healed

I have used Celebrex though very sparingly. Indeed the packet usually expires before it is even a quarter used. I have noticed no gut issues.