• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wide Eyed and Legless

Countrygirl

For those of you who haven't read the book Wide Eyed and Legless or seen the film about Diana Longden who had ME, here is the TV film on youtube.

It was shown in the UK more than 25 years ago (at a guess) and was also available in the US under a different name. (The Wedding Gift, I think.)

It is a good way to pass a Saturday afternoon, especially when it is snowing outside.

Be warned though: it has a sad ending.

EDITED : For some reason the full movie which I posted here has reverted to a trailer, even though I viewed it from here. I have tried several times to restore the complete film but I can't; however, if you go to youtube and search for Wide Eyed and Legless starring Jim Broadbent, Julie Walters and Thora Hird you can view it from there.

Well this is weird: it is working again. I double clicked on the image and hey presto up came the full movie. Good luck!!:thumbdown:

Last edited:

Countrygirl

Got to admit the content of this thread is completely different to my assumption based on the title - I'd assumed we'd be reading about @Countrygirl 's state after partying too hard... ;)

What makes you think it is NOT my state @AndyPR ????

The sad thing is that it isn't caused by the after-effects of a party. (Went into a shop today as I had run out of food and had to grip hold of the shelves and leave most of my shopping behind as I nearly slid (gracefully, of course :angel::nervous:) to the floor...............not one party involved though. I think wide eyed and legless described my antics well.

slysaint

Wide Eyed and Legless starring Jim Broadbent, Julie Walters and Thora Hird
Thanks for this. Just watched it. Thora Hird as funny as ever.
Sad at the end yes, but not at the very end.
Well worth watching.
Deric Longdon was a best selling author; the book of this story is 'Dianas story':
http://www.thebookbag.co.uk/reviews/index.php?title=Diana's_Story_by_Deric_Longden
"
Narrated by Deric, the book explores the difficulty of getting the medical world to recognise and treat an illness that they seem to imply is all in her mind. We are introduced to Deric and Diana's children, Nick and Sally, with brief appearances by Deric's slightly dotty but lovable and endearing mother, Mrs Longden and her unique phrasing and view of the world.

Ultimately, Diana dies, but the book is not about her death; rather, it's a celebration of her life and the impact she had on those around her."

eta: when you watched that one, another of his books "Lost for Words" was also turned into a film also starring Thora Hird as his mother:
"
Diana’s Story was followed by Lost for Words (1991), describing life with his elderly mother as she gradually lost her memory. This too was successfully adapted for the small screen by Longden, with Pete Postlethwaite as the dutiful son to Thora Hird’s portrayal of the eccentric and courageous Annie Longden.

Longden once observed: “I really feel the best humour comes out of despair.” Lost For Words opens with Deric asking: “Do you want to be buried Mum, or shall we have you cremated?” Annie Longden: “Oh, I don’t know, luv. Surprise me.” In another scene, Thora Hird is in hospital when a woman winces with pain as she is pushed past in a wheelchair. “Renal colic,” she says to Thora by way of explanation. “Annie Longden,” replies Thora. “Pleased to meet you.” Thora Hird then whispers to Postlethwaite: “She must be French with a name like that.”"

Last edited:

Countrygirl

@slysaint I am glad you enjoyed it! Everyone with ME should watch it!

Thank you for posting the link to Lost for Words. I saw that when it first came out in about 1999 and it is excellent. Do watch it, folks!

It is good stuff! You will enjoy it!

sarah darwins

Longden once observed: “I really feel the best humour comes out of despair.” Lost For Words opens with Deric asking: “Do you want to be buried Mum, or shall we have you cremated?” Annie Longden: “Oh, I don’t know, luv. Surprise me.” In another scene, Thora Hird is in hospital when a woman winces with pain as she is pushed past in a wheelchair. “Renal colic,” she says to Thora by way of explanation. “Annie Longden,” replies Thora. “Pleased to meet you.” Thora Hird then whispers to Postlethwaite: “She must be French with a name like that.”

ROFL .. now I'm gonna have to watch them both! And Jim Broadbent and Pete Postlethwaite, as well as Thora Hird .. now that's some line-up. How come I never heard of these books / films?

Countrygirl

Many of us will have seen the excellent film Wide Eyed and legless which is the story of Diana Longden who had ME and who sadly died of it. For those who haven't seen it, I will add the link. Once you have seen it do watch Lost for Words, the story of Diana's husband as he cares for his elderly mother played brilliantly by Thora Hird. Both films are very moving and spiced with great humour and not to be missed.

Enjoy!

For those who haven't seen Wide Eyed and Legless, here it is.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Watched them both and would also recommend.

I watched "Still Alice" last night - I found the portrayal of loss of cognitive function and the reactions of those around the sufferer had many parallels for M.E. sufferers, especially if like me you've ever stood in front of a class wondering what on earth the next word you need to say is supposed to be.