• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Valley Fever in the SW (Mold?)

If you have CIRS and CFS because of mold, wouldn't the South West be a dangerous place to live? Valley Fever is basically fungus/mold that is especially deadly in people with low immunity.

On the other hand the desert is supposed to be the best climate for avoiding mold. So, how do one avoid getting Valley Fever?

Mary

Moderator Resource
If you have CIRS and CFS because of mold, wouldn't the South West be a dangerous place to live? Valley Fever is basically fungus/mold that is especially deadly in people with low immunity.

On the other hand the desert is supposed to be the best climate for avoiding mold. So, how do one avoid getting Valley Fever?

Here's a fact sheet from the State of California with info on Valley Fever, including counties with the highest rates and what you can do to avoid infection. http://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/discond/Documents/VFGeneral.pdf

Mary

Moderator Resource
Also, FWIW, I've lived in southern California most of my life, and the last 10 in the high desert where we get a fair amount of high winds with lots of dust, and I haven't had any problem with Valley Fever. I think the hardest hit areas are generally the ones with agriculture where the soil is disturbed.