• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hypoglycemia driving me mad. Will HC help??

Dreambirdie

work in progress
@Dreambirdie . I did horrible on HC too. I took it only for 5 days but felt horrible. And scared of a relapse.
Taking some supplements too but goes very slow.

If you only took it five days, you probably didn't do much damage. I took it for about 6 weeks... which was a *huge* mistake! It overstimulated me, causing *severe* anxiety and heart palpitations for the following 3 months, after which I was tanked. Instead of boosting my adrenals, it demolished them.

Prior to my HC debacle I was semi-functional. I haven't been the same since I took it five years ago. It is one of the worst substances I have ever willingly ingested.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
@Dreambirdie : How much did you take????

I started at 2.5 mg and worked up to 20 mg over a 6 wk period. It was bad enough at 5 mg, so I was stupid to go further. At 20 mg is when I began to feel REALLY AWFUL.

You are supposed to taper down slowly, but that was hell, as every pill made me worse. So I eventually just had to stop cold turkey. So glad I did! I think it could have killed me to continue.

HORRIBLE substance. One of the worst things I have ever taken. I regret trying it. I am still not back to where I was before I took it in 2/09.

Grigor

That's very bad indeed. My gp wants to stay at max 5 mg. So that's kind of ok. But I'm not a big fan of it either . Like I can't handle another major relapse

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Lots of HC horror stories can be found on Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome forums. Some people have good results with it as long as they stay on, but trouble when they go off.

not trying to scare, just share

Leopardtail

Grigor,

If you have OI then the issue is more likely to be Aldosterone or a subtle Thyroid issue... In my case fludrocortisone was TT he short term solution, T3 needed to sort things properly.

LisaGoddard

I found that supplementing with GTF chromium (glucose tolerance factor chromium) helped to stabilize blood sugar levels. I'm also on the methylation treatment which perhaps helps too.

Grigor

Grigor,

If you have OI then the issue is more likely to be Aldosterone or a subtle Thyroid issue... In my case fludrocortisone was TT he short term solution, T3 needed to sort things properly.
Yeah. It actually got a lot worse when I suddenly stopped with L Carnetine. I get fatter from Carnitine which means it slows down the thyroid. I lost a lot of weight in 2 weeks. And from then on I need to eat every 2 hours.
My t3 is fine though.... But still

Grigor

I found that supplementing with GTF chromium (glucose tolerance factor chromium) helped to stabilize blood sugar levels. I'm also on the methylation treatment which perhaps helps too.
Sadly don't tolerate it. Used to work and then boom. Intolerance

frederic83

I took HC for 2 weeks, low dose, 7 years ago and it was horrible. I had severe insomnia. Medrol saved my ass from this nightmare, fortunately. HC is one of the worst drug I ever tried.

Grigor

I took HC for 2 weeks, low dose, 7 years ago and it was horrible. I had severe insomnia. Medrol saved my ass from this nightmare, fortunately. HC is one of the worst drug I ever tried.
So Medrol got your reactive hypoglycemia in check again?

frederic83

I don't have hypoglycemia, I tried HC for CFS. Medrol helped my sleep, I slept like a baby, but it lasted only 3 weeks, then I had my usual sleep problems, but not the insomnia problem that HC did to me..

Grigor

I don't have hypoglycemia, I tried HC for CFS. Medrol helped my sleep, I slept like a baby, but it lasted only 3 weeks, then I had my usual sleep problems, but not the insomnia problem that HC did to me..
Yeah thanks. I'm scared of HC. And haven't heard it helping RH. Sadly.