• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mental Health gone worse?

SmokinJoeFraz93

Hi guys, I'm just wondering whether anyone has had the same experience as me. Since I was 15 I've had mental health issues such as anxiety, stress and depression.

2 years ago I was diagnosed with CFS. There was a point where my physical symptoms got worse, but also my mental health has become worse.

so I'm currently dealing with what I call the 'original' symptoms plus these new symptoms added on. They're very hard to explain, but like my stress and anxiety response has just hit the roof. I'm finding minor things so stressful in my mind. Things such as cleaning and cooking.

Also, my mind has come to a place where I'm struggling to find clarity and I'm trying to work everything out. It's really difficult and stressful.

I just thought I'd post this because I've done lots of research, and I came across an article about the mitochondria and CFS patients. I'm really sure there's a mitochondria dysfunction, and if there is, that would make sense of the worsened symptoms regarding my mind?

Thanks.

carer51

carer/partner of moderate/severe sufferer
Hi SmokinJoe. Unfortunately any ill health can worsen mental health symptoms. Even a cold can send me off into shame and depression, I feel like I'm not doing enough so I feel useless or things feel too overwhelming, so I feel worthless.
And if you're trying to look at the cause you will have things triggered very easily as it's all near the surface and youre vulnerable...which is a part of healing and a part of living with that stuff.

I always have more to say on this subject but I have to go and read a book for a while as I've just set off an anxiety attack in myself due to conflict coincidentally! Xx

SmokinJoeFraz93

I'm sorry to hear that. Thank you for the reply! I am very sure that emotional trauma and emotional based factors have set off my illness. I'm in therapy, but nothing's coming up from what seems my unconscious mind.

So I'm just allowing nature to take its course and hope that things will brighten up for me.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
but like my stress and anxiety response has just hit the roof.

CFS/ME has a way of really messing with a body and mind. As the bodily systems go out of balance it can affect the mind in many ways, including increased anxiety and dramatically lowered stress tolerance.

A few things to consider:
1) Low blood sugar?
If your anxiety reduces after eating then you may be having episodes of low blood sugar.

2) Fatigue?
Does your anxiety and reduced ability to handle stress increase when you're tired? If so, then try resting more. By resting I mean lying down and doing something peaceful or even taking a nap. A person with CFS/ME needs rest, rest, rest. Exertion usually increases symptoms. A tired body is less able to handle stress.

3) OI?
If lying down for awhile helps you to feel better then you may be experiencing orthostatic intolerance (symptoms related to being upright.) Some of us have circulation problems so that our brain and upper organs don't get enough blood when upright. This can lead to symptoms such as irritability, anxiety, feeling cold, sweating, poor thinking, light headedness, and even passing out.

3) Worry?
Some of the anxiety may arise from uncertainty about the future, worry about decline, etc.

4) Anxiety reduction:
This thread by Hip contains a lot of information about ways to reduce anxiety.

Also, my mind has come to a place where I'm struggling to find clarity and I'm trying to work everything out. It's really difficult and stressful.

That may be brain fog (inability to think clearly) or it might be from trying to figure out too much at once. If you continue to post questions we might be able to help.

I'm really sure there's a mitochondria dysfunction, and if there is, that would make sense of the worsened symptoms regarding my mind?

CFS/ME affects a body in so many ways. Anxiety and stress intolerance can come from poor adrenal function, which can come from poor functioning of the 'HPA axis' (hypothalimus, pituitary, adrenal). It can also arise for other reasons. I expect others will post their experiences here soon.

Supplements that have helped me with stress tolerance and mental stability:
LDN - low dose naltrexone
MethylB12
Methlyfolate
Adrenal Stress Combat (supplement from Vitacost)
Lithium orotate

Last edited:

SmokinJoeFraz93

CFS/ME has a way of really messing with a body and mind. As the bodily systems go out of balance it can affect the mind in many ways, including increased anxiety and dramatically lowered stress tolerance.

1) Low blood sugar?
If your anxiety reduces after eating then you may be having episodes of low blood sugar.

2) Fatigue?
Does your anxiety and reduced ability to handle stress increase when you're tired? If so, then try resting more. By resting I mean lying down and doing something peaceful or even taking a nap. A person with CFS/ME needs rest, rest, rest. Exertion usually increases symptoms. A tired body is less able to handle stress.

3) OI?
If lying down for awhile helps you to feel better then you may be experiencing orthostatic intolerance (symptoms related to being upright.) Some of us have circulation problems so that our brain and upper organs don't get enough blood when upright. This can lead to symptoms such as irritability, anxiety, feeling cold, sweating, poor thinking, light headedness, and even passing out.

3) Worry?
Some of the anxiety may arise from uncertainty about the future, worry about decline, etc.

4) Anxiety reduction:

That may be brain fog (inability to think clearly) or it might be from trying to figure out too much at once. If you continue to post questions we might be able to help.

CFS/ME affects a body in so many ways. Anxiety and stress intolerance can come from poor adrenal function, which can come from poor functioning of the 'HPA axis' (hypothalimus, pituitary, adrenal). It can also arise for other reasons. I expect others will post their experiences here soon.

1) Low blood sugar?

2) Fatigue?

3) OI?

3) Worry?

4) Anxiety reduction:

1) Low blood sugar?

2) Fatigue?

3) OI?

3) Worry?

4) Anxiety reduction:

Thanks for the replies guys. I went to a naturopath doctor and he done some standard procedures. I have low blood pressure and it doesn't increase when standing, so he automatically assumed I had Adrenal Fatigue. I done a lab test for my adrenal function. To his amazement, the results came back as abnormally high cortisol levels. So that was strange!

I just thought I'd post this because I've done lots of research, and I came across an article about the mitochondria and CFS patients. I'm really sure there's a mitochondria dysfunction, and if there is, that would make sense of the worsened symptoms regarding my mind?
Mitochondrial mutations can vary quite a bit in how prevalent they are in different parts of the body. Tissues can also become more affected over time. So yes, mitochondrial dysfunction can affect the brain - though a lot of other things can too.