• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The High Tech War on Science Fraud

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
A few stand out lines from the article for me:

" but some scientists saw it as a new form of scrutiny and suspicion, portending a future in which the objective authority of peer review would be undermined by unaccountable and uncredentialed critics."

Oh yeah, we know just how objective peer review is. Although they do rely on authority for cover.

In reference to a researcher (Stapel) who faked his data:

"Van Assen had never much liked Stapel, believing that he relied more on the force of his personality than reason when running the department. “Some people believe him charismatic,” Van Assen told me. “I am less sensitive to it.”

alex3619

Science has to be transparent. There needs to be a big change in how science is conducted. All data needs to be public. There can be no exceptions except for sensitive technological studies, such as military research.

Biomedicine definitely has problems. Biopsychosocial medicine, in my view, makes the problems in biomedicine look minor. Ditto psychological psychiatry.

Large Donner

" but some scientists saw it as a new form of scrutiny and suspicion, portending a future in which the objective authority of peer review would be undermined by unaccountable and uncredentialed critics."

How exactly do you objectively peer review and pass for publication a paper that uses subjective outcome measures whilst still qualifying the above quote that terminates by claiming critique from non peer reviewers is the identified problem.

alex3619

critique from non peer reviewers
Potentially non peer reviewers. They might have better credentials than the paper authors. The problem is they might not be identifiable. Yet this is exactly what happens with reviewers for publication. They are usually not public. So how can anyone judge their capacity to properly review a particular paper?