• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CBT/Get - disappointing Lancet response

Old Bones

Here's the text of an email received today from the National ME/FM Action Network (Canada):

"In December our CEO, Lydia Neilson sent a letter to Mr. Horton at the Lancet. Last week, she received a reply from Elizabeth Zuccala, Senior Editor of the Lancet.

Below is a follow-up letter to Elizabeth Zuccala from Lydia Neilson.

Ref. D-16-08953

Dear Ms Zuccala:

Please understand that the letter sent to Mr. Horton on December 18, 2016 represent the opinions of the National ME/FM Action Network and that of the people suffering from Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). Our organization is a National one for Canada but are in touch with people around the world who contact us, including the UK who have been avidly keeping up to date about what The Lancet is planning to do.

This is an international dilemma where people for ME/CFS are being subjected to psychological therapies under the PACE study for a medical illness. Now that the facts have been exposed as to the actual data of the PACE study, it is important that The Lancet corrects its position on ME/CFS and amend the PACE study to reflect that fact.

For your convenience, I am attaching a copy of our original letter to Editor, Richard Horton, of The Lancet. This is not about publishing or not publishing a letter, this is about putting people with ME/CFS in danger when treated with CBT/GET therapy. Unless and until the proper steps are taken by The Lancet to correct this useless and dangerous treatment for people with ME/CFS, we will continue to pursue any and all ways possible to have this travesty eliminated. The Lancet does not only owe this to the ME/CFS community but the credibility of The Lancet and scientists and researchers. If medical and scientific data cannot be depended upon as being accurate and scientific, then The Lancet becomes no longer a viable source for medical information.

Sincerely,

Lydia E. Neilson, MSM
Founder and CEO
NATIONAL ME/FM ACTION NETWORK

Email from the Lancet

On Friday, January 27, 2017 6:44 AM, The Lancet Peer Review Team <eesserver@eesmail.elsevier.com> wrote:

Manuscript reference number: THELANCET-D-16-08953
Title: Correspondence

Dear Ms Neilson,

Thank you for submitting your Letter to The Lancet. Having discussed your Letter with the Editor, and weighing it up against other submissions we have under consideration, I am sorry to say that we are unable to accept it at this time. Please be reassured that your Letter has been carefully read and discussed by the Editors. Thank you for your interest in The Lancet, I hope this decision does not deter you from considering us again in the future.

Yours sincerely

Elizabeth Zuccala
Senior Editor"

Bolded emphasis is mine.

Hajnalka

Thank you for your interest in The Lancet, I hope this decision does not deter you from considering us again in the future.
No worries, we'll not lose interest in The Lancet and will definitely consider writing you again. ;)

Do they even know how much harm they cause? Even in Germany disability claims are rejected because of PACE and our GP guidelines for "tiredness" are based on it (GPs are advised to motivate CFS sufferers to try ball games or dancing). :devil:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
It means they have no rational response to the original letter, and they hope no one will notice their offering an irrational one instead. They know they have to do something, but cannot think of anything sensible.

I don't think we can really interpret their response one way or another. It could just be incompetence. In NMFAN's position, I'd write back to The Lancet and make it clear that it was a complaint to the journal, not a submission to their letters page, and set a deadline for a response.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
The only way is the legal action. What resources can it be used legally?

@charles shepherd, it amazes me that it's legal for a medical journal to knowingly allow a clear mistake (clinical efficacy thresholds that are below the level of trial entry thresholds) to stand in a publication that will affect patient care.

Are The Lancet in breach of any laws?

They're in breach of their own editorial guidelines but those seem to be just for decoration. The Beano is probably better regulated.

AndyPR

The Beano is probably better regulated.
dennis.jpeg

Barry53

it amazes me that it's legal for a medical journal to knowingly allow a clear mistake (clinical efficacy thresholds that are below the level of trial entry thresholds) to stand in a publication that will affect patient care
Me too. I sincerely hope that once the truth of this whole sorry saga becomes properly understood by the wider public, that legal investigations follow. And I hope all those who have deliberately deceived, cheated, and feathered their own nests without regard for the detriment it has done to others, ponder on this. I think they need to consider whether they should really be digging themselves into the same legal hole that others are dragging them into, or instead stand up, finally, for what is right and decent and honest.

And I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

SilverbladeTE

All about protecting the "Established Order", ensuring their official version of things are not challenged
this is the reason behind MANY evils and stupid actions in Britain
they will do ANYTHING to preserve their appearance of omnipotence