• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is this PEM?

tinacarroll27

Hi all!!!! I have been trying to do some cleaning lately and I can't afford a cleaner at the moment. I was only going to do a bit at a time and pace myself but as usual I ended up trying to do it all in one day as everything is such a mess! I spent yesterday cleaning and I thought I was getting away with it until about 2 hours later when I felt terrible. I was so stiff and my muscle hurt that bad I couldn't get up. I was crawling around on the floor and I had to lay still or I felt something bad was going to happen. The pain was getting worse and worse. Today I feel like I have been hit by a car and my glands in my neck are swollen and I still can't move out off bed. Is this PEM? As these symptoms came on within a few hours after pushing myself too hard and I though PEM only hit you 24 hours later?

Denise

@tinacarroll27 - onset of PEM can vary quite a bit. Sometimes it is immediate and sometimes it is delayed by up to 72 hours. Added to this wide variation is that even in the same patient, sometimes the onset of PEM is immediate and sometimes delayed and PEM symptoms can vary within the same patient also.

It sounds as though your symptoms might be PEM (or the onset of an illness).
If possible note your symptoms, and severity and duration also.

Hajnalka

Hi Tina,

Sounds like classic PEM to me. :(

This is from the Canadian Consensus Criteria:
Post-Exertional Malaise and/or Fatigue Physical or mental exertion often causes debilitating malaise and/or fatigue, generalized pain, deterioration of cognitive functions, and worsening of other symptoms that may occur immediately after activity or be delayed. Patients experience rapid muscle fatigue and lack endurance. These symptoms are suggestive of a pathophysiology which involves immune system activation, channelopathy with oxidative stress and nitric oxide related toxicity10, and/or orthostatic intolerance. Recovery time is inordinately long, usually a day or longer, and exercise may trigger a relapse. The following chart indicates some of the documented dysfunctional reactions to exercise that patients may exhibit11...