• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MTHFR Study is Recruiting Volunteers in North Seattle (info came from Ben Lynch)

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
mthfr.net/mthfr-study-recruiting-volunteers/2017/01/27

folate-study-flyer-960x1024.jpg

The study will consist of 7 in-office visits over the course of 9 weeks. Visits will be conducted at Dr. Anderson’s clinic Advanced Medical Therapies in the Northgate area.
mthfr.net/mthfr-study-recruiting-volunteers/2017/01/27

FYI the clinic address is:
Advanced Medical Therapies
10303 Meridian Ave N
Suite 101
Seattle, WA 98133

barbc56

While the study may be valid the title raised red flags. Recruiting prospective study participants is usually worded differently. This title might have the effect of attracting those who are biased towards the role of MTHFR as an important factor in illness. If self reporting of improvement is used this could skew the outcome.

This also says your MTHFR status must be known. Doesn't that depend on which lab you use?

I don't know that much about the role of MTHFR in illnesses so I'm looking at this from what I know about experimental design.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
While the study may be valid the title raised red flags. Recruiting prospective study participants is usually worded differently. This title might have the effect of attracting those who are biased towards the role of MTHFR as an important factor in illness. If self reporting of improvement is used this could skew the outcome.

This also says your MTHFR status must be known. Doesn't that depend on which lab you use?

I don't know that much about the role of MTHFR in illnesses so I'm looking at this from what I know about experimental design.

Here's the rest of the information about the study:
Background:
Folates are essential cofactors in the regulation of the transmethylation cycle, and have received an increasing level of clinical research interest as the understanding of genetic and nutritional influences continues to grow, yet little has been recently established relative to the optimal attainable blood levels of the folates. This study will provide additional insight as to the expected plasma levels of folic acid, folinic acid and primary metabolites – tetrahydrofolate (THF) and 5-methyl-tetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF) – in a fasting state, and following supplementation with a known concentration. Laboratory methods have been developed to provide additional insight into the metabolic process of the folates and their effect on amino acid metabolism. The intent of this study is to permit clinical laboratory validation of the associated reference intervals of the folate metabolites in the blood of volunteers who have a previously determined genetic trait for the production of an enzyme responsible for folate metabolism, and to study the effects of folate supplements on subsequent amino acid production. The supplements provided will not be used to diagnose, treat, mitigate or cure a disease or health-related condition, and the results from the laboratory testing will not be used to direct or manage the treatment of the trial participants.

Nothing is mentioned about self-reporting of improvement. It looks like participants will be offering their blood for analysis.

I'm not an expert on MTHFR gene mutations, so someone else will have to chime in here. My understanding is that genetic testing shows whether you have the gene variants known as SNPs C677T and A1298C. Here's more info about this test:
https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/mthfr/tab/sample

They don't say how they will verify everyone's MTHFR status, but I would hope they would at least ask to see a laboratory printout or genome zip file. I'm not taking part in the study, so I haven't asked how they will verify everyone's MTHFR status.

barbc56

Here's the rest of the information about the study:

Nothing is mentioned about self-reporting of improvement. It looks like participants will be offering their blood for analysis.

I'm not an expert on MTHFR gene mutations, so someone else will have to chime in here. My understanding is that genetic testing shows whether you have the gene variants known as SNPs C677T and A1298C. Here's more info about this test:
https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/mthfr/tab/sample

They don't say how they will verify everyone's MTHFR status, but I would hope they would at least ask to see a laboratory printout or genome zip file. I'm not taking part in the study, so I haven't asked how they will verify everyone's MTHFR status.

You are right there are blood tests which is certainly better method as far as study design. I still feel the title for recruiting might affect the population studied.

I don't know enough about this subject to say one way or another about the validity of the original premise.

Thanks for this info as I couldn't access ithe original link by copying and pasting the OP's URL. This sometimes happens with my tablet.

You are right there are blood tests which is a better study design.method as far as study design. I still feel the title for recruiting might affect the population studied.

I don't know enough about this subject to say one way or another about the validity of the original premise.

Thanks for this info as I couldn't access it bt the original link which sometimes happens with my tablet.

Edit. I am having lots of problems with my tablet so hope this makes sense. I need to get out my laptop

Last edited: