• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A Travesty Of Science And A Tragedy For Patients

Daisymay

Here's an index for the sections of this article. As it's a long article, notable sentence have been highlighted in yellow:

Section I: Professor Sir Simon Wessely p 4 - 36

Section II: Professor Peter Denton White OBE p37 - 57

Section III: Professor Michael Sharpe p58 - 62

Section IV: the PACE Trial p63 - 69

Conclusion p70 - 73

ash0787

wow this fool got knighted ! I would have thought Margaret could just make his job disappear being in the House of Lords and all.

so presumably he seriously believes what he is saying and isn't just doing it for the money ?

anniekim

wow this fool got knighted ! I would have thought Margaret could just make his job disappear being in the House of Lords and all.

so presumably he seriously believes what he is saying and isn't just doing it for the money ?

@ash0787, I am pretty sure Margaret Williams is a different person to the Countess of Mar who sits in the House of Lords .

Barry53

It seems it is likewise impossible to place reliance on Professor White himself, as just one example confirms: as noted above, following a formal complaint to The Lancet, in 2011 he wrote to Richard Horton, the Editor-in-Chief, stating categorically and unambiguously: “The PACE trial paper refers to chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) which is operationally defined; it does not purport to be studying CFS/ME” (www.margaretwilliams.me ).

However, on 22nd September 2016 he wrote in the BMJ: “The PACE trial was the largest clinical trial to date into Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), also sometimes referred to as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)” (http://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2016/peter...m-thepace-trial-for-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/ ).
Bimodal facts?