• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

U.S. healthcare providers' knowledge, attitudes, beliefs, and perceptions concerning.

Kati

Patient in training
U.S. healthcare providers' knowledge, attitudes, beliefs, and perceptions concerning Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Dana J Brimmer , Frederick Fridinger , Jin-Mann S Lin and William C Reeves

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2296/11/28/abstract

Abstract (provisional)

Background
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a debilitating illness with particular difficulties for healthcare providers because there are no diagnostic signs or laboratory tests and because management aims to merely improve symptoms. Further complicating management, healthcare providers' awareness concerning CFS has not been rigorously assessed. The present study aimed to ascertain United States (U.S.) healthcare providers' awareness of CFS and to assess their knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs (KAB) related to diagnosis and management of the illness. This information forms the foundation for developing CFS educational strategies.

Methods
We combined convenience and probability samples to measure CFS KAB among healthcare providers. In the convenience sample, 1,255 healthcare providers (81% response rate) from 13 professional conferences completed a 12-item form. Descriptive statistics were reported for 9 KAB item responses and chi-square tests were performed for examining their association with giving a diagnosis of CFS. We used principal component analysis to construct multidimensional subscales and perform a general linear model to examine factors associated with subscales. The probability sample involved data on 15 CFS-specific questions from 2006 and 2007 DocStyles web-based panel surveys collected from 2,750 physicians (average response rate 55%). We calculated descriptive and chi-square statistics. The significance was set at two-tailed with the alpha level of 0.05.

Results
Healthcare providers in both samples were aware of CFS and exhibited a high level of knowledge. Overall, 96% of respondents in the DocStyles (probability) sample had heard about CFS. Healthcare providers in the conference (convenience) sample demonstrated good KAB scores; physicians' scores were highest on KAB scales and lowest in perception. Nurses' scores were lowest in knowledge. More than 40% of physicians reported ever giving a CFS diagnosis and in the DocStyles (probability) sample more than 80% of physicians correctly identified CFS symptoms. Physicians reported professional journals, the Internet, and continuing education programs as the top 3 sources from which they obtain CFS information.

Conclusions
Findings from these combined samples fill a gap in the evidence-base of U.S. healthcare providers' and knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs concerning CFS. Importantly, respondents in both samples expressed similar knowledge, attitudes, beliefs and perceptions. Awareness was high and negative attitudes were low. The primary areas for future education should address diagnosis and management of CFS and should be delivered through those venues providers indicated they primarily use. Data from this study provide a benchmark for evaluation the success of these future efforts.

Note... Why am I suspicious?

Jerry S

Boy, this sure hasn't been my experience. Try finding a doctor that thinks ME/CFS is anything more than chronic fatigue in Chicago.

G

Gerwyn

U.S. healthcare providers' knowledge, attitudes, beliefs, and perceptions concerning Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Dana J Brimmer , Frederick Fridinger , Jin-Mann S Lin and William C Reeves

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2296/11/28/abstract

Abstract (provisional)

Background
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a debilitating illness with particular difficulties for healthcare providers because there are no diagnostic signs or laboratory tests and because management aims to merely improve symptoms. Further complicating management, healthcare providers' awareness concerning CFS has not been rigorously assessed. The present study aimed to ascertain United States (U.S.) healthcare providers' awareness of CFS and to assess their knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs (KAB) related to diagnosis and management of the illness. This information forms the foundation for developing CFS educational strategies.

Methods
We combined convenience and probability samples to measure CFS KAB among healthcare providers. In the convenience sample, 1,255 healthcare providers (81% response rate) from 13 professional conferences completed a 12-item form. Descriptive statistics were reported for 9 KAB item responses and chi-square tests were performed for examining their association with giving a diagnosis of CFS. We used principal component analysis to construct multidimensional subscales and perform a general linear model to examine factors associated with subscales. The probability sample involved data on 15 CFS-specific questions from 2006 and 2007 DocStyles web-based panel surveys collected from 2,750 physicians (average response rate 55%). We calculated descriptive and chi-square statistics. The significance was set at two-tailed with the alpha level of 0.05.

Results
Healthcare providers in both samples were aware of CFS and exhibited a high level of knowledge. Overall, 96% of respondents in the DocStyles (probability) sample had heard about CFS. Healthcare providers in the conference (convenience) sample demonstrated good KAB scores; physicians' scores were highest on KAB scales and lowest in perception. Nurses' scores were lowest in knowledge. More than 40% of physicians reported ever giving a CFS diagnosis and in the DocStyles (probability) sample more than 80% of physicians correctly identified CFS symptoms. Physicians reported professional journals, the Internet, and continuing education programs as the top 3 sources from which they obtain CFS information.

Conclusions
Findings from these combined samples fill a gap in the evidence-base of U.S. healthcare providers' and knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs concerning CFS. Importantly, respondents in both samples expressed similar knowledge, attitudes, beliefs and perceptions. Awareness was high and negative attitudes were low. The primary areas for future education should address diagnosis and management of CFS and should be delivered through those venues providers indicated they primarily use. Data from this study provide a benchmark for evaluation the success of these future efforts.

Note... Why am I suspicious?

Drs were given freebees if they came to the cdc stand at conferences.They filled in the forms infront of CDC representatives who could prompt them as required and if they gave the "right" answers they were given an honorarium.No problems with bias in this study at all is there!!?? By the way the"survey"consisted of one side of A4 paper.Plenty of room for the DRs depth of knowledge of course.

Jerry S

Drs were given freebees if they came to the cdc stand at conferences.They filled in the forms infront of CDC representatives who could prompt them as required and if they gave the "right" answers they were given an honorarium.No problems with bias in this study at all is there!!?? By the way the"survey"consisted of one side of A4 paper.Plenty of room for the DRs depth of knowledge of course.

Yep, more politics and the CDC promoting its "brand" CFS franchise.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
Well, now we know that Reeves isn't going to leave us alone now that he is in his new position.

Jerry S

Well, now we know that Reeves isn't going to leave us alone now that he is in his new position.

Oh, I didn't notice our beloved departed Bill's name on the paper. That says it all. Thanks, Julius, for noticing this.

Thanks, Kati, for posting this. Someone has to be the messenger.

Kati

Patient in training
It reinforces the need to stand together and voice concerns to CFSAC... Have you written your testimony?

Kati

Patient in training

Would you guess what budget Reeves gave as honorarium???

Tammie

Boy, this sure hasn't been my experience. Try finding a doctor that thinks ME/CFS is anything more than chronic fatigue in Chicago.

no kidding....I am near Chicago, too....have found a decent doctor who is at least willing to acknowledge that it is real and who has been trying a lot of different things and who actually even read, believed, and complimented my testimony to the CFSAC ....but he does not take Medicare so is expensive.....been fortunate in that my p's have been willing to help me pay to see him for now, at least

still, nothing has actullay made much difference thus far in how I feel physically

Tammie

they say that docs are getting thier info from continuing ed - what continuing ed???? there is almost nothing available for them related to CFS....that is one of the issues that was brought up at the last CFSAC meeting

I actually did the one internet cont ed program that got good reviews awhile back (cannot remember who provides it but it is a well known org).....took the final test without readng any of the actual ed program first and aced it........it was extremely basic info - nothing that woudl actually help docs to understnad the complexity, the seriousness, the ways various body systems are affetced, or how to treat it.....and it was being touted as only the second cont ed program on CFS and the best - ugh!

Kati

Patient in training
Exerpt from the original article:

In 2006, the goal was to recruit 1000 primary care physicians and 250 pediatricians. In 2007, the sample was expanded to also include 250 obstetricians and gynecologists (OB/GYN). Participating physicians received an honorarium, $30 in 2006, and $45 to $55 in 2007, and were not required to participate in the survey and could opt out at anytime.

Sure, tell me I am not required to participate but give me 50$ for filling out a yes/no questionaire and put circles on a piece of paper (likely 2 minutes of my time)...
The question is Mr Reeves, what did you want the numbers to tell you and how did you decide to make the number play in your favor?

Chris

My doc got her info from an outfit called UpToDate, a commercial doctor service that pays docs to do summaries of diseases and treatments that docs can access through a subscription, often paid by professional associations. Some of the stuff may be OK, but the section on CFS is not--heavily infected with Reeves wiffle waffle. Chris

Tammie

Tammie, a lot of doctors are getting their courses and their info from the CDC, which indicates that this illness is all in our heads, and the CFIDS Assn materials for doctors, which tell them exercise will make us better--see discussion here:

http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/sh...for-the-Big-Talk.-How-s-the-CAA-doing/page153

Thanks for your reply.....I actually know about those; however, they are not really considered continuing ed, in that actual continuing ed is a requirement of the profession and comes with the opportunity to earn ongoing credits....as far as I know there are only a couple of pathetic courses that qualify as such (one is by the CDC and there is one other one - the one that I took)...... the other general materials that are avaiable thru the CDC and CAA are not actually considered continuing ed......sorry if that soudns picky, but continuing ed is a really big deal in the medical/health care professions & there is a difference

Dolphin

Drs were given freebees if they came to the cdc stand at conferences.They filled in the forms infront of CDC representatives who could prompt them as required and if they gave the "right" answers they were given an honorarium.No problems with bias in this study at all is there!!??
Yes, the conference group could be biased. There was another group in the study who answered quesions as part of a larger survey.
By the way the"survey"consisted of one side of A4 paper.Plenty of room for the DRs depth of knowledge of course
The questions for that group can be seen in Tables 3 or 4 (same questions).

Dolphin

Interesting points

I read through this but can't say I found much of interest in it. Maybe if I lived in the US, I'd be more interested.

This is interesting I think:
In both surveys 20% of physicians agreed with the statement "I believe CFS is only in the patient's head."

Also (separate):

The disparity in agreement between acknowledgment
that CFS affects quality of life, a high level of awareness,
and the ability to recognize the symptoms of CFS versus
the inability to recognize that diagnostic and treatment
guides are available, point to the need for education programs
that provide greater focus on the clinical evaluations
and management options and less on raising CFS
awareness. Data from both samples demonstrate that
while a small percent of healthcare providers are skeptical
of CFS and express negative attitudes, the majority of
respondents recognize CFS as an illness and understand
the impacts it has on society. While physicians in both
samples showed high levels of CFS knowledge and appropriate
attitude scores, they also demonstrated confusion
in how to treat and manage CFS. Future CFS research and
educational interventions should incorporate evidencebased
behavioral theories with constructs of knowledge,
attitudes, and beliefs in the development of programs
This sounds to me like Graded Exercise Therapy (GET) and CBT based on GET - the CDC suggested they would fund research in this.

And their website now links to the NICE guidelines which recommend GET and CBT based on GET.