• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplements For Cholesterol?

tdog333

I'm currently taking a med which is messing my cholesterol up a bit.

My overall cholesterol is good, but my LDL is a bit high, and my HDL is a bit low.

Is there anything besides niacin that helps raise HDL or lower LDL?

Mary

Moderator Resource
Is there anything besides niacin that helps raise HDL or lower LDL?

Why don't you want to take niacin? I started taking niacin about 2 years ago because it helped me a lot with sleep - it stimulates or sensitizes GABA receptors. It does make me tired if I take it during the day, so I don't take it then. But it's great at night. And then as an unintended side effect I found that it lowered my cholesterol.

If you do try niacin, do not get time-release or extended release - those forms have been associated with liver damage. And non-flushing niacin doesn't do the trick either. I don't mind the flush any more because it usually means I'll be asleep pretty soon.

erin

I managed to lower my cholesterol (was not to high) and other liver enzymes with artichoke tea. My neighbour grows them in her garden and kindly gave me some dried leaves of the petals. I simply fused them in hot water for 5 minutes and add a lemon wedge and drank it. Tasted quite pleasant. I'm sure you can get them dried in health shops.

erin

@JaimeS, lowering sugar intake is very helpful for over all symptoms. Whilst doing this I found olive leaf tea is helpful. Similar recipe of the artichoke, instead olive leaves, fresh leaves are better than the dried ones. This tea helps lowering the blood sugar.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Life Extension usually has some good suggestions:
http://www.lifeextension.com/Protocols/Heart-Circulatory/Cholesterol-Management/Page-01

http://www.lifeextension.com/Protocols/Heart-Circulatory/Cholesterol-Management/Page-les
Inhibiting Cholesterol Synthesis
Inhibiting Absorption of Dietary Cholesterol
Enhancing Cholesterol Elimination
Inhibiting Oxidation and Glycation of LDL
Optimizing the Lipid Profile
Improving reverse cholesterol transport

tdog333

Why don't you want to take niacin? I started taking niacin about 2 years ago because it helped me a lot with sleep - it stimulates or sensitizes GABA receptors. It does make me tired if I take it during the day, so I don't take it then. But it's great at night. And then as an unintended side effect I found that it lowered my cholesterol.

If you do try niacin, do not get time-release or extended release - those forms have been associated with liver damage. And non-flushing niacin doesn't do the trick either. I don't mind the flush any more because it usually means I'll be asleep pretty soon.

I have a really bad methylation profile, so niacin makes me feel weird mentally, and b12+folate makes me feel weird mentally too, so I try to be careful with methylation-type sups.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I have a really bad methylation profile, so niacin makes me feel weird mentally, and b12+folate makes me feel weird mentally too, so I try to be careful with methylation-type sups.

I'm sorry to hear that! Yeah, many people on this board have similar issues. Good luck, there are a lot of good suggestions above, hopefully some will help you --