• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lactulose=1.16, Mannitol= 48.28, b-Glucuronidase =7400 (bad?)

I had a CDSA Level 3 (stool test) and a Lactulose Intestinal permeability test (Leaky gut test) administered at the start of the year. I just got my results back and apparently the results indicate I have quite bad GI problems, which is good news as at least I know whats wrong with me. For example, my Lactulose and Mannitol were right on the end of the scale at 1.16 and 48.28 respectively (normal= 0- 0.3 and 9.50 -25.00 respectively), and my b-Glucuronidase was 7400 - way over the 4433 limit which my doc said indicated liver malfunction (which explains the pain in my midsection). Although lovely, I dont really trust my doctor, as Ive been under his care for 7 years and I was the one who recommended these tests, not him.

Are these results really bad? Any treatment tips? I dont know how to read these test and Id like to be informed so I can best manage my treatment. The lab wont provide any info.

Murph

:)
I've not had those tests but I'd consider reducing your intake of foods that contain those? Mannitol, I know, is in mushrooms, and many other foods. (Mannitol is a "fodmap" and there is a wonderful app on fodmaps put out by Monash University that you could get to guide you in avoiding it.)

Have you already done any dietary restriction?

(PS I've literally never heard of b-Glucuronidase and looking on Wikipedia isn't helping me understand its role! )

Yes Ive tried many different diets over the last decade. It makes sense that I have some sort of infection.

b-Glucuronidase is a bit of a mystery isnt it.

ljimbo423

Carl

I would recommend that you at least temporarily avoid changing the food that you eat. Try eating the same foods for a few days because I think that doing that would help give your immune system a rest not having constant immune system challenges. The body seems to adapt better to leaky gut when the foods are NOT changed.

@ljimbo423 SIBO is caused by lack of stomach acid. Increasing the stomach acid when digesting protein should help with it. Some might find it a bit gross but spitting out all saliva while digesting protein can help a lot. It allows the stomach to raise the stomach acid levels when it is not being compromised by urea from saliva. This is assuming that a urease infection is present which I believe is common to CFS.

I wish I could of got a lactulose/mannitol permeability test. I did ask my doctor but she gave me some bullshit about it not being used any more. Translation "I do not want to have to pay for such a test" NHS GP.

I bet my results would be far worse than yours. However I have no intention of paying for what I already know. It would of been nice to do a comparison but not if I have to pay for it as I can spend the money better than wasting it on a test which will not really help me.

BTW if you look in your iris at the top, use a mirror and a low powered magnifying glass if you have one, x3 might be useable, I have a x5 mag which works but is right on top of my eyeball if I use it. Place the magnifying glass against a mirror and take a look. Look for a black mark which comes from the pupil and goes out towards the top of the iris at 12 o clock most likely in the right iris. These are called Radii Solaris and represent leaky gut and only show signs in extreme cases. They only show when the infection is considerable. BTW 12 o clock is the hypothalamus and pituitary. I have 5 of these marks in my irises. I destroyed most of the largest marking late last year using reduced Colloidal Silver. Ionic silver had zero effect but reduced CS gave a feeling in the right side of my stomach. I have experienced similar feelings in my stomach when taking essential oils in the past but this was far greater and far more effective. It's the marking at 12 o clock which has the greatest effect though and until I can destroy that there will only be minor improvement.
https://cdn.naturalhealthcourses.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/SNHS-iridology-6.jpg

If you look at the iris chart, notice the connection between the stomach and the transverse colon at the top of the iris! IBS and stomach are connected by these infections. Where these infections attack and their influence on the nervous system, influences the function of the colon. This is why IBS can be so common when there is a stomach infection.

I will see if I can post a picture of my before and after irises at some point when I get some time. I do have an iris photo taken back in 1993/1994 by an iridologist which I can scan. It's a bit highly magnified but the important markings are visible. It's taking a current picture which I have to work out. Focussing at close up could be difficult without the correct equipment.

Last edited:

Carl

I've not had those tests but I'd consider reducing your intake of foods that contain those? Mannitol, I know, is in mushrooms, and many other foods. (Mannitol is a "fodmap" and there is a wonderful app on fodmaps put out by Monash University that you could get to guide you in avoiding it.)

Have you already done any dietary restriction?

(PS I've literally never heard of b-Glucuronidase and looking on Wikipedia isn't helping me understand its role! )
It's not a case of avoiding Mannitol as it will not help. These are undigestable sugars which a healthy digestive system should not allow into the bloodstream. It's a method of determining how leaky the gut is by how much gets into the blood and how much is present in the urine.

Carl

Getting some Milk Thistle extract powder and taking small scoops (0.5ml to 1.0ml) multiple times a day might help your liver. It is highly antioxidant and helps the liver repair. I take 2ml per day in water. It's the extract that is needed rather than the whole seed which has much lower levels of silymarin.

Start slow and increase the amount as it could increase your Glutathione production.

It's been restricted in the EU by the damn drug companies because it threatens their profits. It was available recently on eBay but they are not meant to sell it to the public any more. Hopefully Brexit will eliminate all that crap.