• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

has anyone had these symptoms

I have been written off as nuts by my GP & the local ME/CFS clinic run by the NHS. Have been diagnosed with ME after seeing Dr Weir in London. Was recommended Dr Sharma who has out me on lots of different supplements which are very pricey & I feel I am gradually getting worse & worse. Does anyone have the following severe head symptoms......

CRAWLING SENSATIONS
TINGLING
SNAPPING & CRUNCHING NOISES/SENSATIONS
CONSTANT PRESSURE (like someone is squeezing my brain)
INCAPACITATING BRAIN FOG
CONSTANT LOUD TINNITUS
Also feel difficulty with breathing & swallowing.

Not feeling very confident in Dr Sharmas explanations of test results, costs rapidly increasing & his lack of patience. If anyone can recognise these symptoms or point me in a more positive direction I would be grateful.

Many Thanks
Janet

*GG*

I have been written off as nuts by my GP & the local ME/CFS clinic run by the NHS. Have been diagnosed with ME after seeing Dr Weir in London. Was recommended Dr Sharma who has out me on lots of different supplements which are very pricey & I feel I am gradually getting worse & worse. Does anyone have the following severe head symptoms......

CRAWLING SENSATIONS
TINGLING
INCAPACITATING BRAIN FOG
CONSTANT LOUD TINNITUS

Not feeling very confident in Dr Sharmas explanations of test results, costs rapidly increasing & his lack of patience. If anyone can recognise these symptoms or point me in a more positive direction I would be grateful.

Many Thanks
Janet

Yes, to most of those. Don't have difficulty breathing and swallowing, brain fog has been much better for years now, still have days where I am off. Pressure/tension is not limited to brain, body muscles as well.

Diagnosed in 2005, had CFIDS/ME/CFS since Mono in May 2003.

GG

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Hi Janet @jmcaines

Welcome to the forums. Plenty of people here will relate to the experience of the attitude from your Dr.

The last symptom you list has been (thankfully) an extremely rare symptom for me but I do experience all the others.

Regarding the tinnitus--I've had this for decades--I don't recall how I dealt with it early on--I thought everybody had this sound in their head. I think the brain does compensate over time so that the sound fades in the background as the brain attempts to disregard it.

The crawling sensations may be amenable to consumption of Magnesium supplements. I use Mg malate. Just make sure if you decide to try it that it's a good quality and NOT Mg oxide which is not absorbed well. I grew up on scifi books and tv and have always likened the 'crawling' to the visuals of alien parasites under the skin.

For me the tingling comes and goes. Over time it is less frequent (I say this then I get a bout of tingling). I usually associate this will tightness around the neck. You could try wearing a neck brace to see if this helps (not too expensive solution esp if it doesn't help)

For brain fog: that has never really gone away. There are many threads of suggestions of things people have tried.
CoQ10 is one supplement (should be soft gels not powder). If your head is feeling congested (not sinus) for temporary (and easy/cheap) help you could try an ice pack at the base of your neck. This is if the feeling is from an overheated brain. You'll still have brain fog issues (cognitive impairment) if that's part of your brain fog but a supplement might give some relief for that.

There's lots of info here. If you have a problem locating anything just ask--PR people are a helpful bunch.

Hip

The virus that triggered my ME/CFS produced a lots of chronic skin crawling (pins and needles) for many years. Medically these are called paresthesias. The supplement benfotiamine, 150 mg to 300 mg taken twice a day, helped a great deal (out of hundreds of supplements I tried, it was the only one that worked).

What expensive supplements have you been recommended by Dr Sharma (I take it you mean Dr Rajendra Sharma)?

I found one of the cheapest places to buy supplements in the UK is www.healthmonthly.co.uk.

When you say "constant pressure, like someone is squeezing my brain", do you feel an inflammatory feeling in your head? The virus I caught created a constant feeling if inflammation in my head (this was in part due to the the nasal and sinus inflammation it caused, and part due to a feeling of inflammation in the back of my head, by the nape of my neck).

Jus before all your symptoms started, did you have any acute viral infection episodes, like a bad sore throat, flu-like illness or brief gastrointestinal illness?

Last edited:
The virus that triggered my ME/CFS produced a lots of chronic skin crawling (pins and needles) for many years. Medically these are called paresthesias. The supplement benfotiamine, 150 mg to 300 mg taken twice a day, helped a great deal (out of hundreds of supplements I tried, it was the only one that worked).

What expensive supplements have you been recommended by Dr Sharma (I take it you mean Dr Rajendra Sharma)?

I found one of the cheapest places to buy supplements in the UK is www.healthmonthly.co.uk.

When you say "constant pressure, like someone is squeezing my brain", do you feel an inflammatory feeling in your head? The virus I caught created a constant feeling if inflammation in my head (this was in part due to the the nasal and sinus inflammation it caused, and part due to a feeling of inflammation in the back of my head, by the nape of my neck).

Jus before all your symptoms started, did you have any acute viral infection episodes, like a bad sore throat, flu-like illness or brief gastrointestinal illness?

Thank you for your reply, yes I was referring to Dr Rajendra Sharma have you had any dealings with him? Have paid out over £1000 for blood tests
Im currently only taking Caprylic Acid, Berberine, Vit C, Magnesium, Zinc & a Pro-otic. He has also sent me out Glisodin, Pro - omnineuro, HPA-JA drops & some powders that I am yet to take. To be honest not feeling much of a positive effect In fact feel my symptoms are worsening

Cheesus

Can you be a little more descriptive? I have something that is along these lines that is one of my main symptoms, though I think what you're talking about could be interpreted a number of ways and I want to be clear on it.

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.

CRAWLING SENSATIONS
TINGLING
INCAPACITATING BRAIN FOG
CONSTANT LOUD TINNITUS

Many Thanks
Janet

Most of the symptoms you describe might be caused by 'Sensory Neuropathies' and Sensory Phenomena, that would fit in with an ME/Autoimmune type presentation, and also undiagnosed Lyme disease or even forms of MS.

If they are disabling symptoms affecting your daily function, especially pain, then it's not unwise to rule out neurological disorders and neuropathies.

NHS can do the following with appropriate referral:
1) Head MRI Scan, and possibly a Spinal MRI (neuro).
2) EEG Brain wave assessment to rule out Epilepsy, although it is not fool proof.
3) EMG - an unpleasant procedure in which you receive little electric shocks.

Some NHS consultants may order the following, given enough leverage/evidence you have more than 'CFS' such as shooting nerve pain in feet, transient speech slurring/feeling unreal/other neuropsych symptoms not explained by a mental health condition, paroxysymal attacks of breathing difficulty, visual defects, confusion, etc.

4) Rule out Myasthenia Gravis (Anti MAG/MUSK blood tests - not fool proof) + MS (Invasive Lumbar Puncture).
5) A skin biopsy - cutting bits out of you, usually your foot for peripheral neuropathy that won't show on an EMG
6) A batch of Autoimmune blood tests, available at Oxford, NHS or Mayo Clinic (USA) Dysautonomia panel
7) QEEG Brain mapping (private, not on NHS).

If you had 'pure' Ramsay definition ME, I would guess that from my suggestions above, the result would be:

1) Normal or shows idiopathic white 'spots' (hyperintense signals) of unknown significance.
2) Shows Drowsiness
3) Normal
4) Normal
5) Possibly abnormal if you have shooting nerve pain, cranial neuropathy, facial numbness etc
6) Possibly abnormal, probably a few will be low level positive, and the ME diagnosis stays
7) Abnormal, buy NHS can't do this test.

And that is the reason the NHS, prefer to label everyone as exercise phobic. Cheap, effective, tests are blocked and for 80% that was the correct choice. Problem is, when you're the other 25% who don't have 'CFS/ME'. but something different, or something additional you developed over time. Also 25% of millions of people with 'CFS/ME' diagnosed, is rather a lot of people to let suffer when they could have got a more accurate diagnosis.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Most of the symptoms you describe might be caused by 'Sensory Neuropathies' and Sensory Phenomena, that would fit in with an ME/Autoimmune type presentation, and also undiagnosed Lyme disease or even forms of MS.

If they are disabling symptoms affecting your daily function, especially pain, then it's not unwise to rule out neurological disorders and neuropathies.

NHS can do the following with appropriate referral:
1) Head MRI Scan, and possibly a Spinal MRI (neuro).
2) EEG Brain wave assessment to rule out Epilepsy, although it is not fool proof.
3) EMG - an unpleasant procedure in which you receive little electric shocks.

Some NHS consultants may order the following, given enough leverage/evidence you have more than 'CFS' such as shooting nerve pain in feet, transient speech slurring/feeling unreal/other neuropsych symptoms not explained by a mental health condition, paroxysymal attacks of breathing difficulty, visual defects, confusion, etc.

4) Rule out Myasthenia Gravis (Anti MAG/MUSK blood tests - not fool proof) + MS (Invasive Lumbar Puncture).
5) A skin biopsy - cutting bits out of you, usually your foot for peripheral neuropathy that won't show on an EMG
6) A batch of Autoimmune blood tests, available at Oxford, NHS or Mayo Clinic (USA) Dysautonomia panel
7) QEEG Brain mapping (private, not on NHS).

If you had 'pure' Ramsay definition ME, I would guess that from my suggestions above, the result would be:

1) Normal or shows idiopathic white 'spots' (hyperintense signals) of unknown significance.
2) Shows Drowsiness
3) Normal
4) Normal
5) Possibly abnormal if you have shooting nerve pain, cranial neuropathy, facial numbness etc
6) Possibly abnormal, probably a few will be low level positive, and the ME diagnosis stays
7) Abnormal, buy NHS can't do this test.

And that is the reason the NHS, prefer to label everyone as exercise phobic. Cheap, effective, tests are blocked and for 80% that was the correct choice. Problem is, when you're the other 25% who don't have 'CFS/ME'. but something different, or something additional you developed over time. Also 25% of millions of people with 'CFS/ME' diagnosed, is rather a lot of people to let suffer when they could have got a more accurate diagnosis.
Wish the NHS had done these tests on me - I have lots of horrible neuro symtpoms and not even seen a neuro - last time I asked I was told 'you have seen enough consultants'. Great post BTW, I second the possibility of Lyme disease @jmcaines - the symptoms you describe are consistent with that and also possibly babesia, a lyme co infection that can cause breathing issues.

Current NHS testing is not very reliable - especially if you were exposed a while ago and testing for babesia is even worse. You can test privately at Arminlabs - they have a website that's easy to navigate and can offer (free) advice.

My scalp is highly irritated and I get snapping ,crunching and ripping sensations in my head -food seems to cause it but I'm not sure and the more I get it the less I'm able to think and find the right words!

I have some of those symptoms (crawling/tingling/brain fog that makes it impossible to function). I found magnesium ( magnesium oxide for slow release plus magnesium oil subdermaly and an Epsom salt bath once or twice a week) helped the crawling, although I do still get what I call "itch attacks" reasonably often still and this seems to be mostly on legs but can move around the body. Brain fog has been 90% controlled using vitamin b12.. I would say miraculously so. I take hydroxy/methyl subdermal oil for this although sublinguals worked well too.

I hope you find something that works for you.

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

My me started with just that symptom, "pins and needles", then it progressed to all sorts of pareshesias all over the body before the arrival of to the "classic" ME symptoms. What is the virus you say that could be responsible for "pins and needles"? is it also related to other kinds of paresthesia?

Hip

What is the virus you say that could be responsible for "pins and needles"? is it also related to other kinds of paresthesia?

My blood tests suggest the virus I caught might be coxsackievirus B4, since I had higher titers to that.

lauluce

My blood tests suggest the virus I caught might be coxsackievirus B4, since I had higher titers to that.
I always wondered if higher titers for a pathogen mean that the infection is more severe than if you have lower titers. do you have any info about this? I've got higher igg titers for herpes simplex 1, for example, in the order of thousands

Hip

I always wondered if higher titers for a pathogen mean that the infection is more severe than if you have lower titers. do you have any info about this? I've got higher igg titers for herpes simplex 1, for example, in the order of thousands

Yes, high titers are usually considered a good indication of a more active infection.

lauluce

Yes, high titers are usually considered a good indication of a more active infection.
sorry to bother you, answer only if you have the time, do you know where should I look to find any text about this?

Hip

sorry to bother you, answer only if you have the time, do you know where should I look to find any text about this?

Unfortunately I don't know any good books on this subject, I have just learnt bits and pieces from reading this forum. Generally the rules are this:
During onset of acute viral infection, IgM antibody levels are raised.

As the acute infection is brought under control, these levels of IgM go down to zero, and at the same time, IgG antibodies comes into play, which serve to keep the virus under control in the long term.

IgG antibodies against that particular virus will remain for the whole life of a person.

Thus in blood tests, finding low levels of IgG and high levels of IgM indicates an acute infection. Finding high levels of IgG and low levels of IgM indicate a past infection (a previous infection brought under control, and now dormant or latent)

And both high IgG and high IgM indicates a viral reactivation, or a chronic active infection.

Sometimes though in certain diseases, you can have high antibodies without there being an active infections (because the immune system is switched on for no reason). So high antibodies do not prove with 100% certainly that you have an infection, but are a good indication of active infection.

EBV antibody titer interpretations are more complex, and I don't really understand those.

And for cytomegalovirus, Dr A Martin Lerner says that a diagnosis of cytomegalovirus infection is made by examining the CMV IgG antibody titer. (Lerner says the IgM titer for CMV is inaccurate and insensitive.) The higher the CMV IgG titer, the greater the viral load. Ref: 1

Last edited: