• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is considered a full blood count by the NHS in the UK

What is considered a full blood count by a GP in the UK NHS? I'm wondering because if we have ME/CFS from viruses like EBV HSV MONO it would never show and we could be suffering for years. I'm sick of these useless GP'S, prescribing me prozac, amitriptlyline and propranolol for CFS!

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
A full blood count in most parts of the world is the name for a CBC or Complete Blood Count. It measures the number of formed elements in the blood (white cells, red cells and platelets) and also reports on such parameters as mean red cell volume and hematocrit. It may or may not include a white cell differential which reports the numbers of different white blood cells.

White blood cells
Red blood cells
Hemoglobin
Hematocrit
MCV (mean red cell volume)
MCH (mean red cell hemoglobin)
MCHC (mean red cell hemoglobin concentration)
RDW (red cell distribution width)
Platelets

Last edited:

Cohen2

They have likely tested your C Reactive Protein which if raised is a good indication of infection. I would suggest asking your Gp for Ebv and HSV testing if your concerned.

I think it is rare for ME to be caused by an ongoing virus. It is triggered by a virus in many cases though.

Last edited:

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
There are five classes of circulating white blood cells: neutrophils, lymphocytes, monocytes, eosinophils and basophils.

Here's a breakdown of a white blood cell differential and what it can show:
http://www.healthline.com/health/white-blood-cell-count-and-differential#Risks4

An increase in neutrophils in your blood may be caused by:
A decrease in neutrophils in your blood may be caused by:
  • anemia
  • bacterial infection
  • chemotherapy
  • influenza or other viral illnesses
  • radiation exposure
An increase in lymphocytes in your blood may be caused by:
A decrease in lymphocytes may be caused by:
  • chemotherapy
  • HIV infection
  • leukemia
  • sepsis
  • radiation exposure, either accidental or from radiation therapy
An increase in monocytes may be caused by:
  • chronic inflammatory disease
  • tuberculosis
  • viral infection, such as measles, mononucleosis, and mumps
A decrease in monocytes may be caused by:
  • bloodstream infection
  • chemotherapy
  • bone marrow disorder
  • skin infections
An increase in eosinophils may be caused by:
A decrease in basophils may be caused by acute allergic reaction.

JES

Full blood count is a very overrated and overused measurement. Even in diseases with massive inflammation like Rheumatoid Arthritis it rarely shows anything useful. CRP could show something with luck, but many times it's totally normal in CFS/ME. Unless you have a blood disorder or cancer, you are unlikely to learn anything new from a full blood count.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Full blood count is a very overrated and overused measurement. Even in diseases with massive inflammation like Rheumatoid Arthritis it rarely shows anything useful. CRP could show something with luck, but many times it's totally normal in CFS/ME. Unless you have a blood disorder or cancer, you are unlikely to learn anything new from a full blood count.

A CBC is a first-line screening tool that will rule out things like infection, mononucleosis, anemia, leukemia, and everything I listed in post #4. How often it's repeated is a decision on the doctor's part. It's also considered a vital part of a regular periodic physical exam.

Don't forget that a doctor's first job is to make sure you don't die in the next week or month. A CBC w/differential, metabolic panel (chem profile) and urinalysis with microscopic sediment examination will cover a lot of ground.

The problem lies with doctors ordering the basic tests I just mentioned and pronouncing you well if they all come back normal.

Prior to becoming ill, I was a medical technologist. I probably performed over 40,000 CBCs and and 5,000 manual differentials. This is not an over-rated or over-used measurement by any means. It won't tell you if a patient has a broken arm, but it will tell a lot.

I've diagnosed leukemia and other blood disorders before the doctor knew the diagnosis. I could tell if a patient needed a blood transfusion by how watery the blood was when it came into the tube. I told a patient to stay in the clinic while I ran a STAT hematocrit, instead of deferring it as a test to be run later that evening. The doctor thanked me and the patient got his transfusion a day sooner.

JES

Yeah I should have added that a CBC is of course useful especially in diagnosing acute diseases. It's just a shame we don't have better tests for measuring chronic disease traits like low-level inflammation. It would be very nice to actually have a paper saying that for example my cytokines are up to the roof as I suspect with many CFS/ME patients, would make this disease less imaginary to others.

If I had to pick one test as CFS/ME patient I would probably go for thyroid hormones before CBC, simply because thyroid issues are very common and overlap with many CFS/ME symptoms.

A lot of things. It's like asking what might your mechanic miss if he just checks the tire pressure.

A full blood count is just one thing to be checked, it's not the Holy Grail.

Could you give me an example of what one might be suffering from but wouldn't necessarily show on a full blood count? Sorry i'm not very medical sophisticated, just wanting a rough idea and example, thanks. :)

Could you give me an example of what one might be suffering from but wouldn't necessarily show on a full blood count? Sorry i'm not very medical sophisticated, just wanting a rough idea and example, thanks. :)