• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A systematic review of the association between fatigue and genetic polymorphisms

hixxy

A systematic review of the association between fatigue and genetic polymorphisms.

Wang T, Yin J, Miller AH, Xiao C.

Abstract

Fatigue is one of the most common and distressing symptoms, leading to markedly decreased quality of life among a large subset of patients with a variety of disorders. Susceptibility to fatigue may be influenced by genetic factors including single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), especially in the regulatory regions, of relevant genes. To further investigate the association of SNPs with fatigue in various patient populations, a systematic search was conducted on Pubmed, CINAHL, PsycINFO, and Sociological Abstracts Database for fatigue related-terms in combination with polymorphisms or genetic variation-related terms. Fifty papers in total met the inclusion and exclusion criteria for this analysis. These 50 papers were further classified into three subgroups for evaluation: chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), cancer-related fatigue (CRF) and other disease-related fatigue. SNPs in regulatory pathways of immune and neurotransmitter systems were found to play important roles in the etiologies of CFS, CRF and other disease-related fatigue. Evidence for associations between elevated fatigue and specific polymorphisms in TNFα, IL1b, IL4 and IL6 genes was revealed for all three subgroups of fatigue. We also found CFS shared a series of polymorphisms in HLA, IFN-γ, 5-HT and NR3C1 genes with other disease-related fatigue, however these SNPs (excluding IFN-γ) were not found to be adequately investigated in CRF. Gaps in knowledge related to fatigue etiology and recommendations for future research are further discussed.

Copyright © 2017. Published by Elsevier Inc.

KEYWORDS:
Cancer-related fatigue; Chronic fatigue syndrome; Fatigue; Inflammation; Neurotransmitter; Single nucleotide polymorphisms

PMID: 28089639
DOI: 10.1016/j.bbi.2017.01.007

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28089639

Hip

Evidence for associations between elevated fatigue and specific polymorphisms in TNFα, IL1b, IL4 and IL6 genes was revealed for all three subgroups of fatigue.

IL-1β, TNF-α and IL-6 are the cytokines that drive the sickness behavior response, whose symptoms include fatigue, sleepiness, lethargy, depression, brain fog. So that may explain why polymorphisms in these genes are linked to elevated fatigue.

duncan

This effort tells me they still don't really get what ME/CFS is, e.g. including ME/CFS because the word fatigue is in the label.

IL-1β, TNF-α and IL-6 are the cytokines that drive the sickness behavior response
Remind me what the concept of a "sickness behavior response" is other than one additional degree of separation between the patient and the clinician/researcher?

AndyPR

Sci Hub link to full study http://sci-hub.cc/10.1016/j.bbi.2017.01.007, I was curious to see what criteria had been used for CFS, it was Fukuda.

Remind me what the concept of a "sickness behavior response" is other than one additional degree of separation between the patient and the clinician/researcher?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sickness_behavior
Sickness behavior is a coordinated set of adaptive behavioral changes that develop in ill individuals during the course of an infection.[1] They usually (but not necessarily)[2] accompany fever and aid survival. Such illness responses include lethargy, depression, anxiety, malaise, loss of appetite,[3][4] sleepiness,[5] hyperalgesia,[6] reduction in grooming[1][7] and failure to concentrate.[8] Sickness behavior is a motivational state that reorganizes the organism's priorities to cope with infectious pathogens.[8][9] It has been suggested as relevant to understanding depression,[10] and some aspects of the suffering that occurs in cancer.