• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help interpreting results...

Hi there! I'm new to this forum. But I had my EBV retested and was wondering if I could have help interpreting the results. My old results from 2009 must have been tested with different parameters-- here are those results:
EBV-VCA IgG 4.42 ( anything over >1.10 is positive)
EBV-VCA IgM 0.46 (< or = 0.90 negative)

Also was tested for CMV:
CMV- IgG 3.89 (over 1.10 is positive)
CMV-IgM 0.25 (< or = 0.90 negative)

My results from last week have completely different testing parameters so I am wondering how to compare them and what my new ones mean.

EBV-VCA IgM <36.0 U/ml range 0.0-35.9 U/ml (negative)
EBVE 29.1 U/ml range 0.0-8.89 U/ml (positive)
EBV-VCA IgG 99.7 U/ml range 0.0-17.9 U/ml (positive)
EBV Nuclear Ag 270.0 U/ml range 0.0-17.79 U/ml (positive)

I also have low IgA (56) normal is 87-352
Borderline CD 57 NK (93) Normal is 98 or above, and ideal is 200-300

I *believe* that these results indicate that I have a reactivation of the virus and/or some type of cancer, but am not sure...

My thyroid and adrenals are fine. I am Lyme indeterminate. (tested positive for 1 1/2 of the 2 required bands to be considered CDC positive. By 1/2, I mean that my result was "IND" for one...not quite a positive, but not a negative. I would have contracted Lyme in July of 1987. Just got tested October of last year, so it's been 29 years....lots of diagnoses...CFS, fibro, possible MS...)

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have. I should note that my doctor said "everything was normal"
shakehead.gif
shakehead.gif

Carey

Rlman

No one can help?

Since the EBV EA test is positive, Dr Martin Lerner considered that a sign of reactivation (he said EA or IGM positive= reactivation). I think some though say it not necessarily mean active infection. Having IGG and Nuclear positive means you were infected in past, as have 95% of population apparently. Maybe try focusing on boosting immune system to recover?

Last edited:

Rlman

from quest diagnostics www.questdiagnostics.com/testcenter/BUOrderInfo.action?tc=91838&labCode=AMD :

"Clinical Significance

Primary infection by EBV causes infectious mononucleosis, usually a self-limiting disease in children and young adults. Infection with EBV can cause lymphoproliferative disorders including tumors. VCA-IgM is typically detectable at clinical presentation, then declines to undetectable levels within a month in young children and within 3 months in other individuals. VCA-IgG is typically detectable at clinical presentation, and persists for life. IgG recognizing Early Antigen D appears within a month after clinical presentation and typically lasts only 3-4 months; persistently elevated levels suggest reactivation or persistence of EBV infection. EBNA IgG typically appears during convalescence (3-4 months after clinical presentatiion) and remains detectable for life."

so your test results seem to suggest reactivation unless within 3-4 months of infection onset