• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome- Advancing Research and Education

Hutan

This article is notable for that it does not push CBT/GET at all in the treatments section.

Yes, and for noting this:

At this time, there are no treatments (pharmacologic or nonpharmacologic) that have been proven effective in large randomized trials and replicated by other investigators in other groups of patients with ME/CFS.

Especially given Avindra Nath is an author. So, we see PACE becoming irrelevant. (?, said with hope)

I felt a bit negative about this article to start with. Perhaps it is just force of habit. But it seemed better on a re-read.

me/cfs 27931

Thank you for posting this. My doctor often ignores articles I send, unless they come from an authoritative source.

This article is definitely something I can send to my doctor.

Forbin

I'm not a Medscape member, so I couldn't see the article at the link, however...

...is this the same article?

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/wr/mm655051a4.htm

If so, I think it's publication as an issue of the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) is probably a significant development. To my knowledge, the MMWR is where you usually find the latest statistics on things like current flu strains, infection rates and mortality. As such, I suspect that it's read by a lot of physicians.

alex3619

They need to start with very low levels of activity and escalate the levels slowly. Brief intervals of activity should be followed by adequate rest to avoid triggering relapse or flare of symptoms, a manifestation of postexertional malaise. Finally, living with a chronic illness is extremely challenging, so attention should be given to addressing depression, anxiety, and improving coping skills.

Many might read this as GET and CBT, even though there are vague caveats in the text. Most might not understand that activity/rest is about seconds to minutes of activity if its even moderately intense, with at least minutes of rest. Coping skills might indeed include CBT, but this is not the same treatment as advocated by BPS CBT/GET proponents.