• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cold feet and hands?

Thinktank

I have that too, it depends on the temperature and how bad my OI is.
In the summer my hands and feet are very warm. Others say it feels uncomfortable to the touch lol. I often get a strange look or a startling reaction when i give someone a handshake, or touch someones skin.
In the winter my hands and feet feel cold like a dead piece of meat.

JES

There are many mechanisms by which CFS/ME can cause cold hands. One is dysfunction of blood vessels (endothelium), which Fluge and Mella are treating with Nitric oxide donors (source). This allows blood vessels to relax and consequently more blood to flow through. Another mechanism which could cause cold hands is blood hypercoagulation, which Dr. Berg investigated in the late 90's (source). Blood thickening and fibrin deposition seems to be a common defense mechanism that the body uses against pathogens, but in long-term conditions like CFS/ME this could become detrimental. I noticed a big improvement in blood flow and warmer hands by taking bromelain bi-daily on empty stomach.

ahmo

I think my cold hands and feet resolved w/ enough B12. It had been a life-long problem. Some of it was clearly hypothyroid, but it seems to me that this is another thing that B12 resolved for me.

frog_in_the_fog

Test Subject
Is that something i could check over the counter from the diabetic supplies section?
Yes, you can buy a A1C test unit with supplies for under $50. You could also get a regular glucose test unit with strips fairly cheaply. All these can be obtained over the counter. Amazon or eBay are your friend. Always check the expiration date on supplies.

Horizon

Yes, you can buy a A1C test unit with supplies for under $50. You could also get a regular glucose test unit with strips fairly cheaply. All these can be obtained over the counter. Amazon or eBay are your friend. Always check the expiration date on supplies.

Good idea!

Justin30

Yup get the symptom. Full cold body and I am wearing pants and sweater in when others are in shorts and Ts.

Ive had cold hands and feet for 20 years now. I use Raynaud medication Adipine in winter if i know i have to go out which helps a bit but also makes my migraines worse so only use it when needed.

I take a 75mg aspirin daily for a hole in the heart and this helps a little bit too.

Aside from baths which is the only thing that totally cures it for a few hours or my electric blanket which is used 12 months a year. I've just discovered 'Heat Holders'
They make socks, gloves, hats, thermals etc but the socks are great. They're 2.3 tog and are literally filled with fluff i'd say 2/3 inch thick. Its like walking on a cloud. Its only September so i doubt they'd help in winter as nothing does but they're quite amazing to wear. I wear them in bed too. Available on Amazon.

flybro

yep terrible cold hands and feet, often cant get touch screen to work either.

had the cold = pain for my hands and feet all my life, even as a little kiddy, im 50 now.

I had this nadty problem after taking bisoprolol because bisoprolol dilated my blood vessels, so blood circulation affected

Very chronic problem for me for as long as I can remember. Clearly worsened by norepinephrine.

I posted in the opioid thread about progesterone - both opioids and progesterone (topical, before bed) appear to increase my circulation and help against cold hands and feet. (and no, never found a thyroid hormone product that helps, thus far)

hellytheelephant

I have both cold hands and feet 85% of the time- the exception being when they have been resting on a hot water bottle or around a mug of tea. I have been this way since my teens and I believe the thermostat in my body has bust...and it is another neurological symptom.

I was wondering reynauds but my fingers dont really change colors but they are freezing all the time.

I wasn't able to get a Raynaud's diagnosis either. Although my circulation can practically stop when cold enough and my hands can change color, it doesn't happen in the popularized Raynaud's fashion.

Apart from those I wrote, I think Phenibut might also relieve it (I've tried it but wasn't paying attention to cold hands and feet), due to actions on calcium channels and anti-adrenergic effects. There's a report or two out there on the matter. (Of course it's another addictive substance, so for on-need basis only...)