• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which probiotics fix which conditions (+ sources)

Johnmac

Several people on this forum to whom I sent the below doc asked me to post it publicly - so here it is. It's actually three docs in one:

1. I recently dug up the studies on which probiotics have worked against illnesses that affect me & many of the people I know. The studies - which I've put in a table searchable by illness - are of varying quality: in vitro, mice, humans, uncontrolled, controlled, etc.

2. I also wrote to yogurt manufacturers (& a few makers of sauerkraut & probiotic supplements) & asked them which species they use. From the replies I made a second list: which cultures are in which brands.

3. I added a third table at the end, which contains the same info as the first, but is searchable by brand.​

It's a pdf, as this site won't allow me to upload Word. I can email a Word version (in which cites are live links) to anyone who wants it.

Some personal observations:

The research was useful to me, as it showed me that L. rhamnosus has proven effectual in just about every gut condition; I thus used it to transition (quite quickly) from the low-FODMAP diet back to normal foods - which I'd been hitherto unable to do. I used several other species as well, as variety seems to be key. (My mood also became calmer. I'm pretty sure that, as @stridor puts it, the future of psychiatry is in the gut.)

Most of the yogurts were bought in Australia & a few in SE Asia; tho many or most are sold internationally.

I tend not to eat commercial yogurts, as I don't trust their bacterial counts ("CFUs") & I don't like dairy: instead I used them as cultures to make coconut cream yogurt. (Only two brands produced a good yogurt BTW.)

After a month or so I'd fixed my gut & improved my mood, but began to get thumping headaches & fatigue, which I realised was histamine OD. So I have stopped the yogurts now - they did their job - & am focussing on a range of prebiotics (recommended by @alicec & others), so I can support my own microbiome rather than always supplementing it exogenously.

I don't know why the yogurts caused such histamine problems, when repairing the gut (which I largely did) is supposed to prevent that. I might try those species & strains which degrade histamine rather than generate it, when time permits.

Most people hopefully won't get histamine problems, so my research may be of some use.

Attachments

• Probiotic uses & sources.pdf
    252.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

PDXhausted

This is so cool! Would you mind linking the reference for the dairy allergy study? I developed a major dairy intolerance after a long course of amoxicillin and would do anything to fix it!

veganmua

I have VSL#3, Miyarisan (Clostridium Butyricum) and I'm buying L. rhamnosus as we speak thanks to this thread. I'm just trying to get the candida situation under control before I start on them. Hopefully I can get off the low FODMAP diet with this lot!

Johnmac

I have VSL#3, Miyarisan (Clostridium Butyricum) and I'm buying L. rhamnosus as we speak thanks to this thread. I'm just trying to get the candida situation under control before I start on them. Hopefully I can get off the low FODMAP diet with this lot!

No guarantees @veganmua, but it did work for me.

I am paleo with a fair bit of meat, minimal fruit, no processed carb (bread, pasta, etc) & as big a variety of vegetables as I can find, to help generate my own gut bugs rather than always buying them. But to populate initially, I had to buy them (or culture them) first.