• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blood transfusions to treat CFS - item in New Scientist (7 Jan 2016) (anecdotal/informal)

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Just reading the article, "Time to stop getting old" in the print edition (p. 22) and came across:

New Scientist said:
...Teams around the world have started trials of blood plasma transfusions to treat age-related diseases, but Jesse Karmazin is taking a different approach. His company, Ambrosia, based in Monterey, California, is offering them to anyone - providing they can afford the $8,000 price tag. Karmazin hopes to treat 600 people and record their health before and after a transfusion. So far, Ambrosia has signed up 40 people and treated 20 of them. "They're all over 35, and are in relatively good health, he says, although some have chronic fatigue syndrome or Alzheimer's...

All sorts of issues there but it's an interesting concept. There's been some research recently in ME/CFS about the bad effects of ME/CFS blood on healthy tissue (or vice-versa - can't remember).

Mary

Moderator Resource
All sorts of issues there but it's an interesting concept. There's been some research recently in ME/CFS about the bad effects of ME/CFS blood on healthy tissue (or vice-versa - can't remember).

I've read the same thing - e.g., our mitochondria and NK cells function beautifully outside of our blood, which was actually quite encouraging to me.

@Apple is right of course, about numerous blood borne pathogens we may not be aware of - but for the chance to get something of a life back, I might risk it, if I had $8,000 to throw away ---

Seven7

Seven
I always thought this experiment has to be done. Blood transfusion, I also thought of dialysis so the blood gets out of the body type and replace w new blood. I also think we need the marrow transplant test.

I am not expecting cure, is to see how the body behaves. Temporary cure? how longg does it last....