• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Update: 2 video clips with subtitles: Fluge interviewed+new study

mango

I'll update this thread when subtitles is out. I'm afraid I can't do the job, but I am sure someone else can. Perhaps there's a nice Swede here that will accept the challenge.

English subtitles have been submitted now. Seems like they might have to be approved (by whom?) before they are published? I'm not sure how it works?

ETA: Here's how it works:
Once the submitted titles, descriptions, closed captions, or subtitles are completed, they go through a review process. YouTube moderates for spam and inappropriate contributions, but you may also be able to help review content. If enough people have already contributed translations for a video, you'll be prompted to help review the content instead of adding to it.

When reviewing content, make sure to:
  • Check for and fix typos or wrong subtitles
  • Report spam or offensive translations by clicking the flag icon
    AW-Bb95Gkb2Nqpv8yF5KR0LPsh2bD3yEx3M3_MqJVcgfMxBVwY4LJ6iQeIS_Zw=h18
If everything looks good, click Approve to finish your review. When a submission gets enough reviews, it'll be automatically approved — or it can be approved by the owner.
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6054623?hl=en

ETA again: Someone had already written a full translation, so I only fixed some small mistakes and added a few bits here and there. And clicked "approve". So all credit should go to them, whoever they are :)

ETA again: I've asked the Swedish translation team to help out, fingers crossed! :)

Last edited:

perrier

Someone please help out. The scientists said the body is not translating sugar into energy, and that the patients have a valve that allows lactic acid production.

Now how does Rituximab address this?

Or are there other solutions? Other medications considered?

And what about all the other horrid symptoms: low NK cells, endocrine problems, pots,etc etc etc

deleder2k

I particularly liked him emphasising the importance for him as a researcher that patients recognise and are able to relate to their research findings based on their own experiences as sufferers.

Is it somewhat tragicomic that he has to say that it is crucial that the patients are able to recognize and relate to the research. For every other disease on the planet I think that is given - but not in CFS/ME. I simply cannot understand psychobabblers. "Hey, the patients points to a specific physical problem, but why listen to them at all? Why don't we just make something else up that have no basis in reality?? It sounds more fun!!"

Kalliope

Wow, that poor guy Bjonar - he's like a Norwegian Whitney. This disease is such a life-wrecker.

Very positive interview. Thanks to the translators! Thanks, @mango!
Bjørnar was one of two severe ME-patients featured in the Norwegian documentary Sykt Mørkt/Perversely dark (2014). It is a wonderful and heartbreaking film which took six years to make. It is a pity the version with English subtitles is so expensive (50 USD!), but here is at least the trailer (with subtitles) if anyone wants to see.

I am so grateful for documentaries like this and Voices from the Shadows which offer a glimpse to a reality few people (including health care workers) know anything about nor otherwise have access to.

For those who don't need subtitles, the documentary is still available for streaming (no charge) here.

Hajnalka

Thanks for translating, great videos! :thumbsup: I´m currently translating the second clip into German, but it`ll take a few days.

Bjørnar was one of two severe ME-patients featured in the Norwegian documentary Sykt Mørkt/Perversely dark (2014).
Thanks @Kalliope,

Didn´t know about this Norwegian docu, the trailer is really touching. Would love to watch the whole movie with subtitles (but not enough to spend 50 USD, I have to admit).

It´s interesting to learn from the videos, that the psychobabblers are so strong in Norway, too. From what I read before (funding, research, the official apology to all ME-patients, a hospital for ME-patients?) I always assumed that ME was an accepted illness in Norway. :(

Hajnalka

Came across this video from 2013 about Fluge/Rituximab:

It´s in Norwegian with German subtitels, but at 2.29 Dr. Kogelnik is interviewed and says in English that CFS is a serious neuro-immune desease and if he had to choose between CFS and cancer he´d probably choose cancer.

I was surprised because I haven´t heard this statement before (and always found he was rather super-careful in his interviews).

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Dr. Kogelnik is interviewed and says in English that CFS is a serious neuro-immune desease and if he had to choose between CFS and cancer he´d probably choose cancer.

I was surprised because I haven´t heard this statement before (and always found he was rather super-careful in his interviews).

Dr Nancy Klimas has previously said that if she had the choice, she'd rather have HIV (or did she say AIDS?) than CFS, in the present day, because HIV/AIDS can be treated.

Hajnalka

Yes, but Nancy Klimas statement is kind of famous. This is why I was so surprised that I´ve never heard of this similar one.

But I hope you are not saying that C.F.S. patients are not as ill as H.I.V. patients.
I split my clinical time between the two illnesses, and I can tell you if I had to choose between the two illnesses (in 2009) I would rather have H.I.V.

Hajnalka

Jättebra, tack så mycket, @mango! :thumbsup: It worked! (On a personal note: Developed ME while studying for a year in Uppsala. Had the best time until then, but had to leave when I became so ill. Still love Sweden and Scandinavia.)

Thanks @deleder2k for the great idea, to ask for more subtitles. Didn't know, that it is possible to add subtitles to videos other people uploaded. Great as some light advocacy work, that can be done from bed. :)

Last edited: