• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adverse events and deterioration reported by participants in the PACE trial of therapies for CFS

Valentijn

However, this contradicts their 2011 Lancet paper which states that "There were more serious adverse events in the GET group than there were in the SMC group (p=0·0433)."
So it would seem that they deliberately excluded the category for which there was a statistically significant difference, and substituted it with a closely-related category (barely) lacking a statistically significant difference.

They do it with no explanation of that omission, no mention of such a switch, and then label it as if it were the same category in which there was a significant difference.

Last edited:

Dolphin

(This was posted on a mailing list I'm on with regard to Dr Miller. The person said I could re-post it. I asked her and she said her comments related to the PACE Trial rather than the GETSET trial)

"He (DrM) reviewed all the adverse events for the PACE trial and is on the steering committee for the GETSET trial.”

What he actually did was ignore adverse events by declaring they had nothing to do with taking part in the trial/CFS – in his opinion.

I’m aware of patients made extremely ill who are still housebound / bedbound and one who was hospitalised and very nearly died. The laters GP was furious that these extreme adverse events were dismissed.

It’s easy to dismiss things if you can get an expert medical advisor to sweep things under the carpet that you don’t like to hear.

Eminence based medicine not evidenced based medicine.

Dolphin

(In case anyone missed it)
The journalist, David Tuller DrPH, has today posted a substantial piece on the PACE Trial:

TRIAL BY ERROR: The Troubling Case of the PACE Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study
http://www.virology.ws/2015/10/21/trial-by-error-i/

There's an introduction and summary at the start if you don't want to take on the whole thing.

It's being discussed in this PR thread:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...he-pace-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-study.40664/

ME Network have also posted their own summary piece:
http://www.meaction.net/2015/10/21/david-tuller-tears-apart-pace-trial/

Dolphin

I'm also rather disappointed in the lack of detail regarding SAEs and SARs. Non-serious Adverse Events are broken down by category, but there is 0 data about the serious events and reactions.
In the appendix to the Lancet 2011 paper, the 47 Severe Adverse Events are listed (though not together with which trial arm they are in). We are given the 10 Severe Adverse Reactions and the trial arm they are in.

Last edited:

RogerBlack

Dolphin

Table 4 gives data on the numbers and percentages of patients in the PACE Trial who have the following. I'm not sure if we were given this data before.

All depressive disorders
Major depressive disorder
Minor depressive disorder
Dysthymic disorder
All anxiety disorders
Generalised anxiety disorder
Fibromyalgia

ash0787

The not remembering symptoms thing is very relevant to me as I experienced this just this week,
I remember the constraining effect it has on my life like not being able to look out of a window, but not some of the specific details like a high frequency flickering of the vision when the eyes are closed. I don't necessarily see how its relevant to PACE though because gauging general level of health is not affected by that, it wouldn't change peoples ability to write down how ill they felt before and after participating in the trial.

Having had the sort of depression that causes 'fatigue' in the sense that people end up sleeping in the middle of the day, its easily distinguishable from CFS, its a coping strategy for extreme mental stress and complete lack of motivation, not a physical lack of energy, and those people would not experience PEM.

Last edited: