• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ACAT1 'Browse Raw Data'

Journeyman

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 6.12.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 6.12.04 PM.png

Hi folks,

With my faith in much of the 'interpretive' utilities shaken per this recent experience http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/nutrahacker-report-rare-focm-snp.48047/ I'm now browsing my raw data directly from 23 & Me to ascertain if I've overlooked any critical mutations.

Attached is a screen dump of the all important ACAT1 SNP and to reinforce my recent learnings I want to double check my understanding re: 23& Me raw data interpretation with reference to dbSNP's provided gene.

In this case I've got the same genotype as dbSNP's 'orientation minus' label of CC noting that Guanine (G) is connected to Cytosine (C) on its opposing DNA strand making the 'CC' given by dbSNP a 'GG' when put in Orientation Positive?

So I've got the standard unmutated genotype for ACAT1 Correct?

Journeyman

Yes.

There is no evidence at all for the claims that Yasko makes about this SNP.

I think its a bit sad that as one of the first 'go to' resources for people who have learnt the importance of methylation, Yasko has failed to correct this misinformation on which so many ill people are trying to act so as to achieve some degree of function in their lives. When will she correct this information or admit to its lack of accuracy? or does she have to be paid for this to occur??

Regards

Journeyman

Sea

You cannot tell from your 23andme page whether you have the most common version or the minor variation. It just informs you that dbsnp reports that snp on the minus strand and that your result will be CC on dbsnp.

To find out whether you have the major or minor variation you have to go to the dbsnp page that the link takes you to. There you can find major/minor percentages, whether the variation is considered significant and links to more research.

When will she correct this information or admit to its lack of accuracy?
Her forum prohibits any "negativity", so arguing about the significance of SNPs is probably not allowed. Accordingly, my impression is that she has no interest in correcting the misinformation she spreads, and the reason is probably financial. Convincing people that their extremely common SNPs need her supplements as treatment brings in far more customers than accurate reporting would.