• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Meirleir - need advice on arranging an appointment in Brussels?

Bansaw

I might be in the UK June 2017, and am pondering a visit to Dr. Meirleir in Belgium.

Can anyone tell me:
1) How far in advance do I have to book
2) When I have the 1st appointment and do my tests, when do I have to go back for the results and treatment advice from him? Is it a week later or something, or next day?
3) About how much $ should I expect to spend on tests & consultations ?

thanks...

ps: the Himmunitas facility seems pretty close to the airport in Brussels, - about a 20 minute drive. Is that right?

Last edited:

Thinktank

1.) Approx. 3 months
2.) You must see him within 6 months, usually a follow up consultation is within 2 to 3 months because some testresults like the MSA faecal test can take up to 3 months to complete. Another option is to have a phone consultation.
3.) That really depends on the patient.

Yes, the clinic is pretty close to the airport.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I might be in the UK June 2017, and am pondering a visit to Dr. Meirleir in Belgium.
I don't know where you are coming from but he also sees patients in Reno, NV. If you see him there and have US insurance, some of your tests may be paid for by your insurance. I have seen him in both locations. He generally has time for longer appointments in Reno.

Daffodil

@Bansaw the test results are ready in 6 weeks but it takes him a while to analyze them and prepare the report because he is very busy....so i would say about 3 months is accurate. you do not have to see him again face to face...you can have a phone consultation and call the office to have the results emailed to you when they are ready.

it is my understanding that you have to see him face to face only once a year but from my experience, i think it's best, especially early on, to see him sooner than that.

i would make the june appointment in feburary maybe. sometimes he has to change appointments because of all the traveling he does.

Bansaw

Thanks... can anyone give me a rough idea of cost? Tests + Consult... I know it depends, but just a guess-figure would be helpful, like how much it cost you personally.
I could actually fly into Brussels from the UK, go straight to the appointment and fly back same day I think with a budget airline probably like EasyJet or the like. Then maybe a few months later when I am in the US, do a phone/skype followup consult.

Sushi

I could actually fly into Brussels from the UK, go straight to the appointment and fly back same day
Usually first appointments in Brussels take 2 days--one for the appointment and any in-office testing, then he analyses your case and makes recommendations for blood tests which are drawn the next day.

As far as cost, the initial appointment in Brussels is about 90 euros (I am not up to date on their pricing). The lab tests are the huge variable but the range of comprehensive testing that he often recommends might run 1500 - 2500 euros--more or less. I have paid less and I think others have paid more.

sarah darwins

I could actually fly into Brussels from the UK, go straight to the appointment and fly back same day I think with a budget airline probably like EasyJet or the like. Then maybe a few months later when I am in the US, do a phone/skype followup consult.

I found flying a very tiring way to do it and two flights in a day would just about kill me. However you get there I would recommend staying over at least one night. Makes for a much more relaxed experience.

There's a pleasant budget hotel called the Eurovolley close to the clinic. Or the Novotel or NH airport hotels are midway between airport and clinic and both very good (especially the NH) but pricier.

Depending on where you are in the UK, the Eurostar is a nicer way to get there. Only 2 hours London to Brussels and without the hassle of today's air travel. Cheap, too. I've done that and hired a car from the train station. Pretty straightforward and relaxing compared to the Brussels airport experience.

Re the testing costs, he'll want to do a lot of tests but will work with you if you have a limited budget.

A.B.

In my opinion: wait for treatments that are proven to work or at least based on good science. We should know whether Rituximab works this year, and the Open Medicine Foundation may also be able to offer something.

dadouv47

Thanks... can anyone give me a rough idea of cost? Tests + Consult... I know it depends, but just a guess-figure would be helpful, like how much it cost you personally.

Tests + consults BEFORE the treatment starts will be around 3K euros ( more or less). Not a lot more but not a lot less either :(

Valentijn

My labs were $6k+ USD. :( Appointment was in late Sept. Have the results but not the treatment plan yet. My sis paid $3k for the labs, plus the $700 visit fee of course. Took 4.5 months to get treatment plan. Hope this helps.
The US prices aren't really relevant to the costs in Brussels :p

Others were suggesting maybe they wait to see him in Reno, so I just wanted to point out the what I paid and also he requested nearly 40 tests for me. Agreed there is a markup for US patients on the visit fee but the labs were just calculated with the exchange rate.

Sushi

Others were suggesting maybe they wait to see him in Reno, so I just wanted to point out the what I paid and also he requested nearly 40 tests for me.
Were any of your labs in the US covered by insurance? There was discussion that the WPI lab would take insurance.

Not a one. All out of network. It was far more expensive than I anticipated and it's very hard to contact and hear from his office if you're in the US. I would suggest to go see Dr Lapp who will file disability for you or Dr Klinghardt if you're in the US. Unless you have the time and patience.