• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

massage?

I have severe ME , bedbound mainly. A friend knows someone who has recently trained in masage therapy who would be willing to come to the house. But I'm a bit worried it would make me worse and wonder if there is any advice I could give her, other than just saying I'm very unwell!. A newly qualified person might not be suitable for me but it would be free and she is apparently very quiet which is essential. Has anyone had massage therapy? has it helped? hindered? and what kind would you recommend?. Many thanks in advance for any replies. I don't use the pc very often but would like advice before I accept the offer of massage. I have tried Bowen which didn't help.

trishrhymes

Hi @penders, I can't advise from experience, since I haven't had a massage since I have been ill, but before I was ill I trained in massage and practised a bit for a while.

A good sensitive massage therapist should be able to adjust to your needs and start off with very gentle massage, perhaps just to a part of your body you feel would cope best.

I personally used to love having my head, neck and face gently massaged when I was well. I found it very relaxing. Or you could start with arms and shoulders, or legs and feet. Or even just your feet.

Start with whatever you feel most comfortable with, and don't be afraid to ask them to stop or be more or less gentle. You could also build into the session breaks of a few minutes quiet relaxation before she moves on to the next part of your body.

Good luck.

I have severe ME , bedbound mainly. A friend knows someone who has recently trained in masage therapy who would be willing to come to the house. But I'm a bit worried it would make me worse and wonder if there is any advice I could give her, other than just saying I'm very unwell!. A newly qualified person might not be suitable for me but it would be free and she is apparently very quiet which is essential. Has anyone had massage therapy? has it helped? hindered? and what kind would you recommend?. Many thanks in advance for any replies. I don't use the pc very often but would like advice before I accept the offer of massage. I have tried Bowen which didn't help.

Thank you folks. I'm a bit too ill just now but might try when I pick up a bit

Invisible Woman

I used to love having massages when I was well. This changed once I became ill. Even very gentle massages would leave me bedbound and very ill for a couple of weeks.

I found lymph drainage massage on the lower limbs ok - though tiring.

I would suggest that you try something very gentle for a very short period of time and see how you go. You can always build up and do a bit more if you want to later.

Be careful if they want to use essential oils as you may be very sensitive to the effects.

I had a massage today, as it happens. It was very relaxing at the time, but I now feel as I've gone six rounds with Mike Tyson! I'm hoping the benefits outweigh the aches and pains - apparently my muscles were as knotted and tense as someone who had just come from strenuous exercise. Obviously a morning on the couch can do that to me these days....

My massage therapist can tailor her massages to the client, so I'm sure any responsible masseuse could take your physical fragility into account. I agree with @trishrhymes that you shouldn't be afraid to say when it's too hard or painful. x

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I once had lymphatic drainage massage on my upper body and was surprised at how much better it made me feel. Unfortunately, it was while I was on vacation and I have not been able to find anyone local to do it.

I did have some regular physical therapy that included some massage following a car crash. I did fine as long as I had plenty to drink both before and after the PT. Once I got careless and didn't drink as much as I should have and was surprised at how bad I felt as a result.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
@Inester7 - you might try drinking another 16 oz during the couple of hours before your massage and see if that helped.