• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Assessment of ME/CFS: A Case Study for Health Care Providers

Denise

I am assuming this new paper is a follow-on to this one from 2013 which discussed upcoming CDC standardized cfs patient videos. This case study is a CDC assessment of the effectiveness of a learning module comprised of a pre and post-test, slides (20-30 minutes) and a video (approx 6 minutes long).

Since the release of the original article I have checked MedEd Portal regularly to try to find the videos but have not been able to find mention until I found the case study paper today. (I have not yet signed up with the site to see if I can access videos that way.)

Educational objectives for this case study

upload_2017-1-3_15-18-27.png

I believe @medfeb knows more about PEM and the video. I hope she will add details in this thread.

EDIT - MY MISTAKE - This new paper is NOT a follow on to the 2013 paper but rather developed after the IOM report.

2nd edit - Apparently I am not as dense as I thought.... this is a follow-on.
They re-purposed the 2013 material and are passing it off as meeting post-IOM criteria?

Last edited:

Denise

I get quite frustrated at seeing very disparate numbers on economic impact of this disease in material put out by government agencies.
This paper says $19-51 billion (I believe though that's based on Reeves criteria),
the announcement for the Federal Partners Report and the P2P website say:
"The economic burden of ME/CFS, including annual health care costs, is estimated to be between $1.9 billion and $7.2 billion."
And the Federal Partners Report says the range is $18-24 billion.

The aim of the educational module is to educate healthcare professionals about symptoms across different definitions..... so even though they say the IOM report provides diagnostic criteria, this module doesn't seem to follow it....

As for results - while I am glad there is some increase in the percentage of students who say they understand the effects of PEM, that increase is only 20% of students..... That means too many of them still do not understand this essential feature.

medfeb

The article states that this was developed after the IOM report but it was actually developed in 2013 against the Fukuda definition. In 2014, if I understood her correctly, Dr. Unger said that the videos do not discuss PEM and that that information in in the supplemental material. And if I remember correctly, Dr. Unger told CFSAC that information on the IOM report would be in the supplemental material as well. As far as I know, this was not updated as the material had been with MEDEdPortal for review unless something changed.

EDIT: The video and slides are online but it appears that you need to be a medical provider
EDIT 2: the link - https://www.mededportal.org/publication/10527

Last edited:

*GG*

I am assuming this new paper is a follow-on to this one from 2013 which discussed upcoming CDC standardized cfs patient videos. This case study is a CDC assessment of the effectiveness of a learning module comprised of a pre and post-test, slides (20-30 minutes) and a video (approx 6 minutes long).

Since the release of the original article I have checked MedEd Portal regularly to try to find the videos but have not been able to find mention until I found the case study paper today. (I have not yet signed up with the site to see if I can access videos that way.)

Educational objectives for this case study

View attachment 19039

I believe @medfeb knows more about PEM and the video. I hope she will add details in this thread.

EDIT - MY MISTAKE - This new paper is NOT a follow on to the 2013 paper but rather developed after the IOM report.

2nd edit - Apparently I am not as dense as I thought.... this is a follow-on.
They re-purposed the 2013 material and are passing it off as meeting post-IOM criteria?

While you are editing, ;) How about editing the title and take out the spelled out ME/CFS and add the ending of the title of the paper?

GG

*GG*

Thank you for being open to changing it, and helping admins not having to deal with Duplicate threads. I try to post as much info in Title (date and source if possible as well), because it will make it easier for Future searches, perhaps draw new people to the site and make this site an even more valuable resource than it already is!

GG

Dolphin

I registered at the site but I still couldn't get into the specific material here:
The MedEdPORTAL content you are requesting is part of the special clearance collection and is restricted behind a human firewall. Access to the special clearance collection requires verification of your teaching or administrative appointment at a health education institution.

After successful verification of your credentials, you will have access to the restricted collection for one full year - at which point re-verification is necessary. The verification process generally takes 24 - 48 hours to complete, but may take up to 5 business days.

To request access to the special clearance collection, please complete the following online form.

Please select the location of your health education institution

United States, Territories of the United States, or Canada
International