• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MEA website poll on NHS hospital based referral services (January 2017)

charles shepherd

Background information on why we are asking this question:
http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...ervices-for-people-with-mecfs-3-january-2016/

Vote via the home page on the MEA website:
www.meassociation.org.uk

The Question and Answers:
QUESTION: If you have been to an NHS ME/CFS clinic in the past year, how do you rate the advice/information that was given on management?

ANSWERS
  • Excellent
  • Good
  • Adequate
  • Mix of good and bad
  • Poor
  • Dreadful
  • No advice given/required
  • Waiting for an appointment
  • Unable to get a referral

Dr Charles Shepherd
Hon Medical Adviser, MEA

Last edited:

Invisible Woman

I would suggest adding an option for currently avoiding contact.

Some of the people I know who have been to NHS ME/CFS clinics (not necessarily in the last year) have found it to be helpful initially, but then after the 3rd or 4th visit there was nothing to be gained by going back there, so they just dropped out.

Others just really wish they hadn't engaged with them in the first place.

charles shepherd

I would suggest adding an option for currently avoiding contact.

Some of the people I know who have been to NHS ME/CFS clinics (not necessarily in the last year) have found it to be helpful initially, but then after the 3rd or 4th visit there was nothing to be gained by going back there, so they just dropped out.

Others just really wish they hadn't engaged with them in the first place.

I'm afraid we cannot add any more answers.

The website tool we use for the MEA monthly survey restricts the number of answers to 9

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Background information on why we are asking this question:
http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...ervices-for-people-with-mecfs-3-january-2016/

Vote via the home page on the MEA website:
www.meassociation.org.uk

The Question and Answers:
QUESTION: If you have been to an NHS ME/CFS clinic in the past year, how do you rate the advice/information that was given on management?

ANSWERS
  • Excellent
  • Good
  • Adequate
  • Mix of good and bad
  • Poor
  • Dreadful
  • No advice given/required
  • Waiting for an appointment
  • Unable to get a referral

Dr Charles Shepherd
Hon Medical Adviser, MEA
It says "If you have been to an NHS ME/CFS clinic in the past year" but the last option is "Unable to get a referral." Should I tick the last one if I have long given up? (I saw Prof Pinching years ago, who reckoned I was doing as well as I could, and doubt if I will get anything more from the NHS for the time being.)

Also, it says "2016" in the 1st article, and in reference to it on the other page.

charles shepherd

It says "If you have been to an NHS ME/CFS clinic in the past year" but the last option is "Unable to get a referral." Should I tick the last one if I have long given up? (I saw Prof Pinching years ago, who reckoned I was doing as well as I could, and doubt if I will get anything more from the NHS for the time being.)

Also, it says "2016" in the 1st article, and in reference to it on the other page.

The final answer is for anyone who tried to get a referral to an NHS service during 2016 but wasn't able to do so

I accept that it should be clearer but the tool we use only allows very short answers

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
The final answer is for anyone who tried to get a referral to an NHS service during 2016 but wasn't able to do so

I accept that it should be clearer but the tool we use only allows very short answers
OK, but it implies that it is 2016 now!