• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New symptom : electric shock in glutes muscles

Dechi

Last week I had this electric shock feeling in my right glutes for the first time. It lasted 1-2 seconds and occurred twice on the same day. It is a violent and very painful sensation that makes you stop whatever you're doing and just scream from the pain.

Then a few days later I felt it again, but much weaker, thank god. It was more of a pulsation feeling. I had 4-10 pulsations and it stopped. I had it in the right and left glutes, maybe 3 times. Even if weak, It is a reminder of the full symptom and it is making me fear the coming of it. I started taking magnesium again in the hope that it would make it go away. Maybe why it's weaker now ?

Would it be just a posture problem ? I am sitting so much, and this muscle is taking the blow, I guess. Anybody else has this symptom and how do you deal with it ?

I found this, it looks like it might be the answer. By sitting too much, the piriformis muscle is shortened : http://blog.timesunion.com/running/piriformis-syndrome-a-real-pain-in-the-butt/8122/

Last edited:

lansbergen

Ach, the electric shock feeling. I had them everywhere. It is very much better now.

Did you notice which way they go?

Dechi

@lansbergen As far as I can tell, it's mostly staying in the bottocks area, maybe going down the leg a little bit

@roller You think it might be linked with an infection coming up ?

roller

wiggle jiggle
perhaps just watch what happens in the next 3 months or so.

normally, we wouldnt make a connection between pain in the arse and a flu, bladder infection, migrane, kidney problems etc.
particularly when they are weeks apart.
though, things ("health events") may just follow cycles.

Dechi

@lansbergen Yes, I will observe more next time. I had the weakened sensation again this morning and I would say it's either right on the gluteus medius or gluteus minimus. The weak ones don't irradiate.

Dechi

I started stretching the piriformis muscle. It might help. Apparently it shrinks when you stay in the sitting position too much.

valentinelynx

Yes, could be piriformis syndrome. Or you could be developing sciatica (compression of nerve roots to the legs) or spinal stenosis (compression of spinal cord in the lumbar region.

Dechi

Yes, could be piriformis syndrome. Or you could be developing sciatica (compression of nerve roots to the legs) or spinal stenosis (compression of spinal cord in the lumbar region.

I have seen improvement with the stretching. It is basically gone now, still faint pulsing sometimes, but nothing severe. I just need to keep doing it.