• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

whole body throbbing?

TrixieStix

Anyone else find that anytime they exceed their physical exertion limit and have stopped moving your whole body throbs?

Hard to explain but anytime I am do something physical and exceed my limits, once I stop and sit/lay down my entire body throb and has a particular sensation. It is when this happens that I know I did too much.

Just curious.

Last edited:

Cheesus

Anyone else find that anytime they exceed their physical exertion limit and have stopped moving your whole body throbs?

Hard to explain but anytime I am do something physical once I stop and sit/lay down my entire body throb and has a particular sensation. It is when this happens that I know I did too much.

Just curious.

Is it like your heartbeat in your entire body? Is there a specific place that it is happening the most?

Dechi

Are you talking about fasciculations ? Fasculations are usually in a specific area, like glutes, or quads, often just on one side of the body.

Also there is a sensation I feel that I call, for lack of a better word "pre-boiling". It feels like what it looks like when water is just about to boil, but not boiling yet. There is a start of a movement, you can see it starting. It's an unnoticeable shaky feeling all over, inside your body. I have that often.

Old Bones

Hard to explain but anytime I am do something physical once I stop and sit/lay down my entire body throb and has a particular sensation. It is when this happens that I know I did too much.

@TrixieStix I've never used the word "throb" to describe any symptom related to ME. But, I can definitely relate to experiencing sensations when I stop after exceeding my limits, whether physically, or cognitively. I feel them most during the first few minutes after lying down. For me, it's more like a full-body trembling, or buzzing. The buzzing seems to occur at the individual cellular level. Both are often accompanied by flashing lights in my eyes, particularly noticed in the dark. The trembling, buzzing and flashing usually subside after a few minutes.

tinacarroll27

Yes I feel like I am throbbing all over. Can't pin point where it is coming from, just feels all over. Gets worse when I move about. I some times wonder if it's cause by POTs but not sure as it's not just my heart but all over that throbs. Makes me feel as if I am on a ship bobbing up and down on the water sometimes. Had this symptom for 25 years and has never gone away, just gets a little better or worse depending on how severe my ME is.

Dechi

I am glad mine have disappeared

Do you get cramps in small musles like fingertips?

@lansbergen I don't really get cramps but I have a permanent and very strong lactic acid sensation in all muscles of my body. Any muscles used for more than 5-6 seconds consecutively, sometimes less, will start feeling heavy and sort of burn. It can be the jaw if I eat something too hard, like almonds, the fingers, if I use a pencil to write for too long the legs if I am climbing stairs, ect.

How did you get rid of the shaky feeling ?

Dechi

I do not know how a latic acid sensation feels. Can you discribe it a bit more?

Is intense burning feeling part of it?

@lansbergen What does an immunoregulator do and which one are you taking ?

Yes, burning is part of the sensation. Have you ever lifted weights, or anything really heavy for a long time, and your arms or legs were shaky and burning, and you had to put the weights down because you couldn't stand it anymore ? That is the acid lactic feeling. Bodybuilders and weight lifters know it well. It happens when there is not enough oxygen in the blood to feed the muscles. When you have ME, it happens very early, even if you're barely moving. It's part of the energy process being screwed up.

I most certainly get throbbing over the whole body. It feels as though it's inflamed, is sensitive all over and feels like it's pulsating. Sometimes I also get this just with the brain which I really hate as scary even though I know it will pass.

Chrisb

For me, it's more like a full-body trembling, or buzzing. The buzzing seems to occur at the individual cellular level. Both are often accompanied by flashing lights in my eyes, particularly noticed in the dark.

That's exactly how I described the sensation. Doctors used to ask if I experienced any tingling sensations and I said that that was not quite it. Similar but at a lower frequency. I eventually described it as feeling that every cell was buzzing.

TrixieStix

@TrixieStix I've never used the word "throb" to describe any symptom related to ME. But, I can definitely relate to experiencing sensations when I stop after exceeding my limits, whether physically, or cognitively. I feel them most during the first few minutes after lying down. For me, it's more like a full-body trembling, or buzzing. The buzzing seems to occur at the individual cellular level. Both are often accompanied by flashing lights in my eyes, particularly noticed in the dark. The trembling, buzzing and flashing usually subside after a few minutes.
yeah buzzing is a good word...a bit of a mix of buzzing and throbbing.