• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fatigue with muscle aches -- immune-activation?

outdamnspot

I've just started a probiotic regime, incl. Miyarisan. I wasn't noticing much at 2 tabs a day, so upped to 3 last night and woke up today feeling flu-ish and malaised, which I've experienced before.

However, I also have a deep aching in both my of legs; it feels like I've just run a marathon or been to the gym .. I've never had this symptom before, and pain isn't a feature of my illness (despite being bedridden).

I'm taking most of these symptoms as a good sign, but was just curious about the muscle aching.. has anyone had this before as part of increased immune activity or 'die off' or whatever? All of the trigger points in my thighs also feel very tender.

Old Bones

I also have a deep aching in both my of legs; it feels like I've just run a marathon or been to the gym .. I've never had this symptom before, and pain isn't a feature of my illness (despite being bedridden). . . but was just curious about the muscle aching.. has anyone had this before as part of increased immune activity or 'die off' or whatever?

I wouldn't be surprised if the muscle aches you describe are caused by immune activation. I'm basing this on my husband's reaction to the flu shot. For a month afterwards, he had migrating aches and pains throughout his body and felt quite unwell, although not flu-like. His symptoms seemed more autoimmune, and were severe enough for us to question whether in future he should risk the flu rather than have another flu shot. We attributed his reactions to heightened immune activation caused by the adjuvant used in the vaccine.

"Adjuvants in immunology are often used to modify or augment the effects of a vaccine by stimulating the immune system to respond to the vaccine more vigorously, . . ."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immunologic_adjuvant

I get these sorts of aches a lot and they were particularly severe during the acute phase of my illness. I have always believed my immune is activated and that's why I get these aches as well as other immune related symptoms such as sore throat, sneezing, fluey malaise etc, mainly on exertion these days.

Sidney

I've always heard that ME affects many, or all, systems, certainly including immunological.

I too get that ache, and also a horrible wobbly feeling in legs. I'm afraid I deal with it with Tramadol. It works for me.

It is, as @outdamnspot says: 'as though I've just run a marathon'. Also like outdamnspot, I do not have pain, despite being largely bedridden.

Who knows...

Wishful

One of my symptoms is muscle aches that are focused on the front thigh muscles (no idea what's special about them or their neural connections). If my overall symptoms are severe, the aches are whole-body, as with a flu, but otherwise it's just those thigh muscles.

Two things that were effective for me at reducing those aches are LDN and acupuncture. I was surprised about the latter. It was the first time I'd tried acupuncture (desperate to try something) and after the session I noticed that I didn't have those thigh aches. The effect lasted a couple of days, if I remember correctly. I forget the points used, but they were on my feet. I didn't bother repeating the experiment, since blocking the pain prevented me from noticing whether other potential treatments were doing anything.

The LDN was also effective. The optimum dose for me was 3.25 mg/36 hrs (alternated breakfast/bedtime) taken sublingually. Taking it sublingually reduced the necessary dosage by around 30%.