• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What a f**ked up disease this is!

Kenny Banya

I just had a terrible night's sleep of about 3 hours & I feel great today as a result.
It's like Nightmare On Elm Street, but with a different purpose......
I guess it's my unintentional Xmas present to myself....
And to quote comedian Jim Jefferies from his stand up gig 'Bare', it's the best present because it "cost me nothing"......!
Happy Festivus!

Jennifer J

festivus.jpg

@Kenny Banya , Amen brother! Yeah, I hear ya - happy opposite day - 3 hrs feels great, a 'regular' sleep feels like crap (ie like usual).
For me it can happen:
  1. at random;
  2. when I'm on the border of over-exerting the day before; and
  3. if I've had an adrenaline rush.
First one no payback. Last two, typically some level of payback.

Here's hoping it is all good for you, with no down-side or pay-back.

Out of brain. Back to insomnia.
Merry Christmas to all, and to most, a good night.
Happy Ho Ho!

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
I just had a terrible night's sleep of about 3 hours & I feel great today as a result.
It's like Nightmare On Elm Street, but with a different purpose......
I guess it's my unintentional Xmas present to myself....
And to quote comedian Jim Jefferies from his stand up gig 'Bare', it's the best present because it "cost me nothing"......!
Happy Festivus!
I've had this twice in the last 2 years, during times of heavy emotional stress. 1 hour's sleep per night for 4 nights running, then wide awake all day every day and fit enough on the 4th day to drive 2 hours, teach 4 hours, drive 2 hours back. Second time it happened I was wearing my HR monitor which showed my HR 20 beats above normal, where it stayed for 4 days until going down again and I could sleep normally again.

I've wondered whether deliberately putting myself into extremely emotionally distressing situations might do me the world of good ME wise, as it just disappears. I assume it must be the adrenalin. Also no apparent payback. I was hoping for a thoroughly upsetting christmas this year, but unfortunately it's all going peacefully enough so far. Never mind, family arrives tomorrow for a week's stay, so there's still hope :).

Completely wiped out from a 3 hour visit to see family in same town. It was pleasant, grandchildren fun and very touching first-grader Christmas-crafts gifts. I thought it would be brunch, as was last year and I had brought the same requested food items but no. Got home. Could not make a cup of coffee in proper sequence until after burning pan. Then fell dead to nap. Still wiped. This is my new fibro-cfs normal or welcome to my age 67 new normal. What would Jesus M (for Mohammed and peace be upon him--don't shoot me) Buddha do? Accept, accept, accept. Boring boring boring you?

edawg81

From previous post viral episodes, I knew lack of sleep helped me go into remission when it was mild. So I tried this during this most recent episode. My symptoms completely, COMPLETELY, went away while staying up really late in the beginning of this episode. I thought I was in the clear, until I woke up the next morning and I was way way worse. Been pretty sick ever since ( about 7 months now), and diagnosed with CFS/ME. Now I am careful not to do that. Definitely I feel like there is an auto immune component to this disease since sleeping well makes me worse. IMO. Interesting to know that others experience the same thing.

Lack of sleep can not be a favorable life. It will kill you faster than not eating. But not staying hydrated is even faster.

And by lack of sleep, I mean almost zero. Apparently, 3 hours for you is still enough to stave off Zero.

Good wishes .

rosie26

Had this a lot also in last few years.
Lack of sleep can make feel much better.
I wonder if this is because you drink more fluid during the night when normally you would be sleeping. When I have the odd night of insomnia I am reaching for sips of water all through the night.

I've also noticed those nights when I only get a few hours sleep I seem to feel more energy, surprisingly. Maybe it is because of taking on extra fluid during the night.

My symptoms completely, COMPLETELY, went away while staying up really late in the beginning of this episode. I thought I was in the clear, until I woke up the next morning and I was way way worse
When I'm in a crash, I get my best hour or so late at night just before bedtime, then when I wake up the next morning, it groundhog day all over again. :(

Some PR members have said they experience the same.