• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

2016 Year in Review from Ian Lipkin and CII

AndyPR

Although the video has been linked elsewhere, this blog by The Microbe Discovery Project also has brief descriptions and links to further reading for all topics mentioned by Dr Lipkin.

Doctor Ian Lipkin covered “the greatest hits of 2016” including ME/CFS, tick-borne diseases, SARS, and tilapia in this new video from CII.

http://microbediscovery.org/2016/12/22/2016-year-in-review-from-ian-lipkin-and-cii/

Lipkin's research on tick-borne disease was discussed in this thread earlier this year. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...pic-grant-to-study-tick-borne-diseases.43092/

slysaint

"
ME/CFS Research Updates
The CII team has now collected thousands of samples from ME/CFS patients and are working to “dissect the causes of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and come up with real solutions for these problems”. As Dr. Lipkin said:
“Another disease we’ve been studying with increased vigor is known as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. And with the support of the Microbe Discovery Project as well as work that we’ve been able to do under the auspices of the NIH; with your support and the support of these various foundations and generous individuals, we’ve now collected thousands of samples. And we’re eager to begin to work on these so that we can actually dissect the causes of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and come up with real solutions for these problems.” – Dr. Ian Lipkin
Not sure what Dr. Lipkin and the CII team are working on? The CII team “intends to test the hypothesis that ME/CFS cases and controls have different bacterial, fungal or viral microflora in the oropharynx (mouth and throat regions), lower gastrointestinal tract (gut) and blood in a massive, well-powered study.” This monster study needs a total of $5,000,000 in funding and we’re already working together to get there."

Real research, real hope.

AndyPR

Totally agree, especially as
This will be the first ME/CFS study to look at the microbiome over time. They are collecting stool and saliva at four different times over the course of a year, allowing the researchers to see if the changes in microbiome and immune system are related to changes in symptoms over time. Blood is also collected at the first and last time points.
As has been discussed recently on other threads, changes over time could be important.
http://microbediscovery.org/microbial-discovery-immunity-study/ if people want to read the whole article on the study.