• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best treatments for Mycoplasma?

chilove

Hello all,

What has helped you the most with mycoplasma? I'm currently on Stephen Buhner's protocol and borax and colloidal silver and it's helping but the symptoms are still there.

Thanks!

Audrey

While I can't comment on the protocol, one fundamental aspect mentioned describing the reason for using an enzyme is, frankly, incorrect - "breaking the cell wall" (http://buhnerhealinglyme.com/the-protocols/). Mycoplasma lack a cell wall - that's what makes them mycoplasma and not bacteria. So, it makes me suspicious from the outset. The whole cell wall argument though, IS key for lyme-causing bacteria as I recall, so perhaps it is an editorial mistake. But, be that as it may...

I was on a protocol suggested by Dr Nicolson (can't find the paper, it was circa 2006). My functional medicine doctor (trained in immunology), after confirmed by testing, prescribed a rotating regimen of 2 weeks Doxycycline, then 2 weeks Cipro, and 2 weeks clarithromycin. Later on, a 2 week 'off' period was added at the end of the cycle. I was on it for about a year and a half and stopped (on the doctor's recommendation/advise) when I couldn't keep my intestinal flora up any more. My doctor explained that mycoplasma are often intracellular (glom onto the outside of cells and make them go wonky is the non-tech version), so eliminating is very slow and tedious. And yes, there was/is a significant diet/supplement end to it.

After getting over the very significant herx (for me didn't come on right away and was out when I went from 60% to 20%) I think my functioning improved. In my case, I don't think mycoplasma were the whole cause. I was tested before treatment (a specialized test - PCR, cost $450, by our public health unit, which confirmed them present) but couldn't afford testing after to see if it was gone.

Subsequently, my health has deteriorated (too tired to go back and check timing/sequence). Before long-term antibiotics (natural or pharma) read the warning in the recent q/a from OMF and Dr. Naviaux about antibiotics and antivirals.

Best of luck in the battle!

Last edited:

Horizon

My doctors said it is intra-cellular and very difficult to treat, I was on doxy but that's not enough to kill it and after 3 months my titers are still high. They say possibly a heavy duty course of 2 types of antibiotics.

Please keep us posted if you find anything that works. I was on 1000 mg of biaxin for 1.5 years and have higher titers than when I started. We are going to add doxy to see if the 2 together help.

Thank you

CCC

@chilove and @MastBCrazy - Buhner goes into much more detail in his book about Mycoplasma and Bartonella. It's more biologically accurate than the third-party website quoted by @MastBCrazy .

@chilove - please keep us posted. I suspect we're about to enter your world.

The Lyme forum on healing well is a good place to go if you want more help. It is very Lyme focused, but people there have a wealth of experience with the herbs and antiobiotics. There's also a Buhner facebook group.I find facebook less helpful than forums because useful things get buried down the timelines, but it's an active group and you might get some more answers there.

JES

Please keep us posted if you find anything that works. I was on 1000 mg of biaxin for 1.5 years and have higher titers than when I started. We are going to add doxy to see if the 2 together help.

Thank you

Same story, I was on roxithromycin and doxycycline for a total of around half a year, after that I felt too weak to continue as it was killing my gut. My titers never went down, sometimes even increased. IgG titer was hovering around 200-300 and IgM weakly positive. In retrospect, I think these mycoplasma titers don't probably mean much, many doctors only consider >400 IgG as sign of active disease. I think mycoplasma likely is not a big factor behind my CFS/ME symptoms.

Thinktank

I test positive on PCR for mycoplasma spp. but i have not yet received any treatment for it. I've a diagnosis of late stage lyme disease but have always tested negative for every possible co-infection, multiple times, mycoplasma is the only one i test positive for.

I've read Buhners mycoplasma book so i've decided to try herbs as i've already been on antibiotics for lyme disease for over 3 years and no longer want to use any.
The product i'm going to try is called MYCO by raintree which Buhner believes is a good product, http://www.raintree.com/myco-capsules
The active ingredients are mullaca, Brazilian peppertree, anamu, clavillia, macela, fedegoso, picão preto, and uva ursi

IreneF

I've been on antibiotics twice for Mycoplasma pneumoniae. Even tho my titers were better, I felt the same. So I don't know how meaningful antibiotic treatment is.

stridor

I was on doxy for 8 months and started out with mycoplasma and HHV-6 and post testing showed both had cleared. I also added 20 IV's of hydrogen peroxide in the beginning. I had a significant herx reaction...very significant.

I would have trialed allicin if I wasn't sensitive to garlic.