• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

David Tuller in Undark: A Study of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Therapies Is Debunked (Again)

Kati

Patient in training
A Study of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Therapies Is Debunked (Again)

A new analysis of a 2011 study that supported dubious treatments for the disease finds that its conclusions were “not justified by the data.”

http://undark.org/2016/12/19/british-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-study-faces-yet-debunking/

Short article by David Tuller. Here is what he wrote on his Facebook page about it

Last week, finally, an independent group published a peer-reviewed reanalysis of the PACE trial "recovery" data. Guess what? The 2013 PACE recovery paper finding was a sham. Doggie-poo. Fraudulent. A piece of garbage. Whatever. Anyone shocked? Hope not.

Another big blow to the GET/CBT cult. Undark is first with the story.

Also on twitter:

chipmunk1

The 2013 PACE recovery paper finding was a sham. Doggie-poo.

dp.gif

I wonder if they will clean up the mess?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Very good, concise article on what's so horribly wrong with the "recovery" paper.

I've left a comment (currently in moderation).

Please let's all go and read the article, give David the traffic, and leave comments - it all helps to pave the way for more articles!

SilverbladeTE

If it's fraud, if it is not immediately denounced, stopped apologies given and prosecutions begun....as they have not....
then it's deliberate system of fraud to deny treatment and help to millions of people
thus: genocide
Cold blooded, deliberate evil

We hanged people for such crimes en masse 76 years ago and for damn good reason.

Time the Aegean Stables were cleaned out again, and the turds shown for what they are and all their honours and wealth taken from them, before welding them in jail cells for the rest of their miserable, misbegotten lives.

or we could sentence them to a life time serving in the likes of Doctors Without Borders, living and aiding those in the worst conditions on Earth while dealing with the threats of disease, bandits, terrorists and booby traps.
That would both be useful and poetic justice.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
or we could sentence them to a life time serving in the likes of Doctors Without Borders, living and aiding those in the worst conditions on Earth while dealing with the threats of disease, bandits, terrorists and booby traps.
Can't agree to them being allowed anywhere near vulnerable people again. They'd be handing out questionnaires in no time.

Kati

Patient in training
Update from David on Facebook:
I hate having to make corrections. But the first sentence of yesterday's story was overly broad in stating that the reanalysis found "no benefit." The analysis examined only the claim of "recovery," not any other kind of "benefit." If I expect the PACE authors to be fully transparent about their errors--and I do--then I need to hold myself to the same standard.

Please keep comments coming!!