• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is adrenaline good or bad?

I've done the lightning process, Mikel therapy etc but I don't quite understand the adrenaline thing

I would email them and ask them but they usually blank you after 6 sessions so I don't think I'd get a reply

They both i think seem to say that adrenaline causes me:cfs but at the same time looking back on it they always seemed to encourage me to produce more adrenaline so it's really confusing

For example they would encourage me to go to the gym, do things I enjoyed or found exciting but all of these things would always increase my adrenaline, they told me boredom was a if factor but if I do things to not be bored such as go to the gym then I'm pumped full of adrenaline for hours after it

Or o told them I found my job boring so they said do something more physical but each day in work I'm totally living on adrenaline, okay it stops me being depressed or bored but isnit not the adrenaline that's making me have cfs?

A part of me thinks they say things like this to confuse people so it's easier to blame them but to something I'd like to learn more about

Dechi

I don't know the therapies you are talking about but I've never heard of adrenaline causing CFS or even CFS symptoms. I'll be following this thread.

Personnally, I don't have much adrenaline anymore. Even when I go to the gym amd do my 3 minutes over a 45 minute period, I don't have adrenaline afterwards. I am more tired, not a nice tired like before, and no adrenaline.

*GG*

I don't know the therapies you are talking about but I've never heard of adrenaline causing CFS or even CFS symptoms. I'll be following this thread.

Personnally, I don't have much adrenaline anymore. Even when I go to the gym amd do my 3 minutes over a 45 minute period, I don't have adrenaline afterwards. I am more tired, not a nice tired like before, and no adrenaline.

Well said, luckily I can more than 3 minutes, but no more "runners high" from exercise!

GG

Adrenaline surges usually happen for me when there's nothing left to use which means i've already pushed myself way too far.

Adrenaline can keep me going when there's zero energy left but its really bad to use it.

Any activity completed while taking advantage of the adrenaline wave will crush me 100 times worse than activities done while on the usual minimal energy status.

Adrenaline is great in an emergency, but if i find myself using it out of necessity i'd fully expect a much bigger price to pay afterwards :thumbdown:

taniaaust1

Like HellHath No Fury.. running on adrenaline is extremely bad for me and will bring me a bad crash.

As it is my body as extreme adrenaline issues eg I have due to the ME the hyper form of POTS so my adrenaline is way too high if I go upright..(so high that 3 out of 4 of my noradrenaline results got dismissed as being lab errors though different labs did the test). Any standing can sent my adrenaline too high with an adrenaline rush.

On to of that issue, there has been incidences in the past where I couldnt even get an adrenaline response. eg I accidently once drove in front of a train which was coming straight for me. My emotional response to that was nil, no adrenaline rush at all, no fear. I really thought I was going to die but felt no rush and didnt even get a delayed rush when I only "just" got the car out of the oncoming trains path. I still dont know how I didnt get hit with the train that day.

I also dont get like a nice runners high from any form of exercise.. all it does is make me sick (like as if I was poisoned)

none of my system in this way is normal.. my whole system is like broken and its not something which can be just fixed since I dont even have the natural subconscious body responses.

It's quite confusing

Like you say a runners high is nice but o get a high just if I walk to the shop

They remind me of the job centre in the way they push and push you to work but when I do work it's like adrenaline 24/7 but they won't ever tell you if it's good or not

I hate them so much for how they treat people

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I've done the lightning process, Mikel therapy etc but I don't quite understand the adrenaline thing

I would email them and ask them but they usually blank you after 6 sessions so I don't think I'd get a reply

They both i think seem to say that adrenaline causes me:cfs but at the same time looking back on it they always seemed to encourage me to produce more adrenaline so it's really confusing

Adrenaline is neither good nor bad. It is simply useful when we feel the need to flee or fight.

I think the reason why you're not sure if adrenaline is good or bad is because you were taught certain things via Mikel therapy or the Lightning process. IMHO, their models for illness causation and perpetuation have no basis in truth.

In the context of Mickel or the Lightning Process, attribution to adrenaline is just some vague bullshit. It's a form of pseudoscience where they try to base blatant quackery on a scientific concept in order to give their quackery some respectability by association.

But there is no actual scientific evidence of adrenaline being involved in their "therapy", nor evidence of a pathology involving adrenaline contributing to any of the diseases they purport to treat.

It's babble, and trying to understand it is pointless. They have no meaningful content to understand.

Last edited:
I went to watch a football game at the weekend and because I enjoyed it I was full of adrenaline, this morning I went to the gym and I got an adrenaline rush too, that's the context I mean

Am I to do more or less of this kind of thing ?

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I went to watch a football game at the weekend and because I enjoyed it I was full of adrenaline, this morning I went to the gym and I got an adrenaline rush too, that's the context I mean

Am I to do more or less of this kind of thing ?

The adrenaline you experienced in either of those events is irrelevant. What's more important is how you felt physically afterward. Did you have worse pain or much worse fatigue those particular days or the following day? What's truly important is that you don't push yourself so hard physically that you crash, i.e. end up in bed.

There are different ways of experiencing adrenaline that may or may not affect you physically. Watching a scary movie may cause you to have an adrenaline rush, but it probably won't exhaust you physically. That's a relatively safe activity for most. Ninety minutes of Christmas shopping at the mall with two toddlers in tow will release lots of adrenaline and be mentally and physically draining, not a safe activity for most people here.

I think you need to stop thinking in terms of adrenaline being good or bad. Sometimes we get an unavoidable adrenaline rush when we are stressed. We can't do much about that unless we have trained ourselves to be really really calm. Adrenaline is normally an automatic unavoidable response to excitement, fear, stress, anger, just about any strong emotion. It's also an automatic response to physical exercise.

If you want positive experiences in your life like attending sports events and you don't suffer for it later, then go for it. If you feel better for having gone to the gym, I say go for that too. Whatever benefits you derive won't be related to the release of adrenaline. You will be happy for having mingled with others while watching a sporting event and maybe you will feel some slight exhilaration and relaxation from going to the gym. Hopefully neither of those activities made you feel worse.