• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bad Reaction to Hydroxy B12. Any Ideas?

3 weeks back I took half a pill of AOR's Hydroxy B12, and since then have had troubling symptoms:

Feet freezing all day.
Skin dry, fingertips cracking
Rashes on forehead
A feeling of histamine releasing all over my skin, kind of like niacin
Feeling constant adrenaline and brain fog

I'd previously had negative histamine like reactions to ANY and ALL forms of Folate and Methyl B12. I thought I'd try Hydroxy because many people have written about how safe it is. Not so for me, these side-effects have been longer lasting and worse than previous forms of B12 for me.

Does anyone have any idea what I can take / try to reduce the symptoms Hydroxy B12 caused in me? Many thanks. I'm out of ideas.

Last edited:
Getting digestive disturbances, racing mind before bed, palms are now cracking. A lot of this matches what Freddd called "paradoxical folate deficiency". Has anyone had a seriously negative reaction to Hydroxy B12 like this? God, I thought it was supposed to be the safe form, but this in is unbearable, especially the histamine feeling and unable to feel calm.

I truly react badly to all forms of folate. I have high histamine levels, was once diagnosed as histadelic. The only B12 I've tried briefly in the past that didn't cause me any issues was Adenosyl. I'd try that now, but I'm worried it might make the methyl-trap situation I've created worse, assuming that is what's happening.

Eastman

Didn't vit B6 previously help you with your histamine issues? Did they fail this time?

Yeah, b6 and p5p are not helping at all. Previously, when I'd taken methylfolate that's what I believe brought the reaction down. My entire body turned bright red for a few days after some methylfolate. It was a terrible experience. This is very different. And much longer lasting.

Unlikely. It was coming up on a month ago that I took the pill (half a pill, actually). My symptoms seem to match what Freddd described as an induced or paradoxical folate deficiency.

Eastman

Freddd also mentioned "itchy bumps generally on scalp or face" as the result of hydroxocobalamin onset as part of his group 4 symptoms. I'm not sure how close that is to your symptoms.

If it's any consolation, PeterPositive suggested that it may just need to take a while to adjust to B12.

I'm new to methylation but i do know that B12 can cause histamine issues - thus the itchy feeling.

That's correct.
@richarduklon
From the opening post it seems like your friend just started B12 recently... if this is the case, starting immediately with a 5mg Methyl-B12 could be too much. Many people here, myself included, have or have had issues starting a B12/methylation protocol. Sometimes it takes a while to adjust to the dosages and it's usually best to begin with a small-ish dose (250-1000mcg) and slowly build it up.

It's been about 2 months and things are still horrible after taking one pill of Hydroxocobalamin B12. My hands are cracked and dry with ridges all over the place, and this effect is spreading to others parts of my body, like I'm 120 years old. I can't sleep at night. When I get some sleep, I wake up with my heart pounding. A feeling of adrenaline is pumping through my veins 24/7, totally unable to feel mental or physical calm and every day the strain fight-or-flight weakens me further. Heart issues. Breathing issues. It's completely wrecked my gut health. Freezing feet all day and night. Rashes and lesions all over my forehead. It's completely ruined my life. I write this to warn others who have not yet tried it. Please don't. To those who say this form of B12 is safe, you are wrong.

Tammy

I truly react badly to all forms of folate. I have high histamine levels, was once diagnosed as histadelic. The only B12 I've tried briefly in the past that didn't cause me any issues was Adenosyl. I'd try that now, but I'm worried it might make the methyl-trap situation I've created worse, assuming that is what's happening.
I think adenosyl is an excellent form of B12 but I have not been able to find it without extra ingredients...........I am very particular about added stuff. There is a liquid B12 with mostly methyl with a little adeno added and no other crappy stuff and I really like it. (Global Healing). I have never supplemented folate with B12 so I can't comment on that. I wouldn't be without the B12. when I first started taking this supplement .........I did have some issues with agitation but that's about it. I like having the liquid because it makes it easier to dose. I actually started out on 2 drops of B12 a day and worked up.

It's been about 2 months and things are still horrible after taking one pill of Hydroxocobalamin B12. My hands are cracked and dry with ridges all over the place, and this effect is spreading to others parts of my body, like I'm 120 years old. I can't sleep at night. When I get some sleep, I wake up with my heart pounding. A feeling of adrenaline is pumping through my veins 24/7, totally unable to feel mental or physical calm and every day the strain fight-or-flight weakens me further. Heart issues. Breathing issues. It's completely wrecked my gut health. Freezing feet all day and night. Rashes and lesions all over my forehead. It's completely ruined my life. I write this to warn others who have not yet tried it. Please don't. To those who say this form of B12 is safe, you are wrong.
Hi. This is really interesting as have v similar reactions to hydroxyB12. Did you get to the bottom of why this was causing a problem for you? Cheers.

I have similar symptoms. This looks like Hydroxo induces a folate deficiency. I have angular chelitis, dry hands, and red dry skin on my forehead.