• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Urge Incontinence" or "Overactive Bladder" major difficulty.Help! Anyone else?

Hotch

Hotch
Hi All,

Urge incontinance has become a huge problem for me. I think I now need to carry a whole new set of clothes in a backpack when I go shopping or anywhere. I have had a problem for about 4 years but since I have become extremely thirsty over past 6 months the result is a flood ( sorry if this offends anyone, but I am desperate). It is soooo humiliating and I hate that I am writing this but I need to know if anyone has the same thing and has any advice. I already frequent the bathroom hourly or more so as to limit the damage. Please, any ideas would be very appreciated

Hotch

Seven7

Seven
Hi All,

Urge incontinance has become a huge problem for me. I think I now need to carry a whole new set of clothes in a backpack when I go shopping or anywhere. I have had a problem for about 4 years but since I have become extremely thirsty over past 6 months the result is a flood ( sorry if this offends anyone, but I am desperate). It is soooo humiliating and I hate that I am writing this but I need to know if anyone has the same thing and has any advice. I already frequent the bathroom hourly or more so as to limit the damage. Please, any ideas would be very appreciated

Hotch
Mine is at night urgency. I have heard about diabetis melitus or something like that.

Mine was orthostatic intolerance and is so controlled now ( I am treating OI w 3 meds).

You can try salt ( blood pressure permit), test your aldesteron hornone and try Florinef if needed. I am no doctor just some things to try from my experience.

Dechi

I do urinate a lot, sometimes 12-15 times a day. It's such an annoyance. At least I can hold it. My doctor just told me to put french sea salt in my water and to stop drinking at 2pm so I don't have to get up so often during the night.

Hip

I very suddenly developed urinary urgency (aka: overactive bladder, overactive bladder syndrome, or irritable bladder) almost overnight, one or two weeks after starting a sexual relationship with a new girlfriend, decades ago. I strongly suspect this was due to picking up some type of pathogen through sex that entered the bladder via the urethra, which created a long term (possibly intracellular) infection of the bladder lining or the bladder nerve supply.

I'd never had these bladder problems previously; in fact I had a rather iron bladder, that could last most of the day without going to the toilet. But almost overnight I suddenly found myself with this urinary urgency condition, which arises from nervous spasms of the bladder muscle (detrusor muscle). The fact that this happened to me almost overnight needs an explanation: some factor must explain this sudden change of status, and an infectious agent is my guess.

A related condition is interstitial cystitis (IC), which is similar to overactive bladder, but IC can also involve excruciating bladder pain as well as urgency of urination. IC has been linked to a Gram-negative bacterial infection of the bladder tissue, and I suspect overactive bladder will in the future also be found to be linked to chronic low level infection.

Overactive bladder is not to be confused with polyuria. Overactive bladder is where there are almost uncontrollable nervous contractions of the bladder muscle, which create great pressure, and force you to find a toilet pretty fast, else you fear you may wet your pants (and I found this sometimes happens if you cannot get to a toilet in time, but fortunately in my case only very rarely). These nervous contractions of the bladder can occur even if the bladder is only say one third full, so it is not much to do with how full your bladder is.

Polyuria by contrast is where the throughput of liquids in the body is much faster: your kidneys are always dumping water into your bladder, so you find you have to visit the toilet a lot more.

In terms of treatments of overactive bladder and interstitial cystitis, restoring the glycosaminoglycan layer (GAG layer) in the bladder can improve or cure the symptoms of overactive bladder or interstitial cystitis. The GAG layer is a protective mucous membrane lining that covers the bladder. Refs: 1 2 3

Gepan and Uracyst are products that can repair the GAG layer in cases of overactive bladder and interstitial cystitis. They contain a sterile solution of chondroitin sulphate which is instilled into the empty bladder. Some other similar products are detailed here. Some contain hyaluronic acid as well as chondroitin sulphate.

Apparently you can administer Gepan yourself at home if you prefer; see here.

You can also take a combination of chondroitin sulphate and glucosamine sulphate (or N-acetyl-glucosamine) supplements orally to help repair the GAG layer, but I am not sure how this compares in efficacy to products like Gepan and Uracyst that you squirt into your empty bladder via the urethra.

The oral drug pentosan polysulfate (Elmiron) is thought to work by restoring a damaged GAG layer. Ref: 1

Other oral drug treatments for overactive bladder include:

Darifenacin, oxybutynin, solifenacin, tolterodine and trospium. These all work by blocking one or more of the muscarinic acetylcholine receptors, such as the M3 receptor that is mainly responsible for bladder muscle contractions. People with glaucoma, urinary retention, or gastrointestinal disease should avoid using these anticholinergic drugs.

Mirabegron is a adrenergic beta 3 receptor drug that work by activating a receptor in the bladder muscles that relaxes the muscle.

Imipramine (a tricyclic antidepressant drug) also relaxes bladder muscles.

Botox injections can be used to treat overactive bladder.

Effective herbal treatments for overactive bladder include: pumpkin seed oil, and gosha-jinki-gan. Refs: 1 2

Last edited:

Oberon

This may be completely unrelated but I realized many of my bladder issues were coming from an intolerance to Coffee. It got to a point where I had to give up coffee and there has been at least a 70% improvement for me. I've changed over to tea instead which I don't enjoy as much but it's worth the trade off.

Hotch

Hotch
Thank you all so much! Such great information from everyone! Hip I will reply soon.
By the way how do I get the italic "@Inester7 etc to come when I am replying to each of you?

@Inester7 I too have OI, not diagnosed yet. I have been doing poor mans tilt table testing at home and recording to take to Dr. Last time (4 mths ago) when I told him my heart Rate went up to 124 just standing there he said what are you worried about, you're unfit! ( sound familiar to anyone?). Hence the documentation. I will print out an article to take to him too. I am glad to hear that your OI is under control Yay! If you don't mind sharing, what meds for OI are working for you?

I have had my ACTH tested and it is fine. I try to have quite a lot of salt, my blood pressure is very low so there is no problem with salt for me. I had level of insulin resistance of a diabetic last time tested, but sugar test was fine. The thought of diabetes insipidus crossed my mind as I was soo thirsty and drinking sooo much. But since my endochronologist has reset my hormones (naturally) this has improved a lot.

Dechi, I use quite a bit of Himalayan and Celtic salt. Did your Dr tell you why he recommended "French sea salt" in particular? I too have to go to bathroom at night. However it is only 5 secs away so no problem. I wouldn't be game to stop drinking at 2pm as I am on Valtrex ATM and if you don't drink enough it can damage your kidneys. Also I don't think I could get to sleep as I would be incredibly thirsty. Have you managed to do it and has it helped you?

Lakesarecool, with my most recent episode I had just had a coffee half an hour before! I have read something about coffee and alcohol aggravating it. I have felt for years that coffee was upsetting my gut but when I had a test coffee came up fine. I think I will forgo coffee now. I am happy this has helped you and hope it will do the same for me. I don't have much anyway, but like you I do love it every now and again.

taniaaust1

Hi Hotch, if you are still having issues while wearing adult diapers, I suggest to contact your local Independent Living Centre (looks like most states have one). They were heaps helpful to us (my daughter has incontience) and stock lots of different kinds of brands of diapers and adult incontience pants and should be able to give you advice if the ones you are wearing are not working well.

The other opinion would be surgery to be given a urinary bag (that's one option I had with my daughter).

You shouldnt have to live in constant fear of having an accident while out.

lansbergen

In my case the frequent incentives have disappeared long ago but I still sometimes get an urge. If I can not go to the toilet right away I will wet myself. I think the later is caused by an inability to keep the constrictor closed.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I urinate a lot. I'm housebound and partly bedbound so being near a bathroom isn't a worry, but it's annoying having to go so often.

If I drink plain water then I urinate more quickly than if I drink an electrolyte mix with salt added. Anyone who urinates very frequently should probably be drinking electrolytes to maintain the electrolyte balance in the body. I use Ultima Replenisher electrolyte powder because it has a nice array of electrolytes without added sugar.

I too have to go to bathroom at night. However it is only 5 secs away so no problem.

Raising the head of your bed by 6" might help to reduce night time urination. Sleeping on an incline changes the way fluids circulate in the body so not as much water makes its way into the bladder at night. It may help with your OI as well by increasing blood volume. I have very low BP but lie on an incline much of the day and all night, and feel better than when lying flat. I also rarely urinate at night anymore.

If I can not go to the toilet right away I will wet myself. I think the later is caused by an inability to keep the constrictor closed.

I've wondered if inability to keep the constrictor closed is related to the rapid muscle fatigue/muscle burn that some of us get. Maybe the constrictor just can't keep itself closed for long due to rapid fatigue?

lansbergen

I've wondered if inability to keep the constrictor closed is related to the rapid muscle fatigue/muscle burn that some of us get. Maybe the constrictor just can't keep itself closed for long due to rapid fatigue?

I think it is just another muscle that does not obey like so many other muscles fail to do the job the patient want it to do.

trishrhymes

A male friend in his 60's was having increasing problems and thought it was prostate. His GP suggested it might also be irritable bladder and told him to stop drinking tea. This has helped a lot. Apparently tea is a bladder irritant at least for some people, it's not to do with volume of liquid drunk, since he substituted water or hot chocolate in equal quantity to the missing tea.

Seven7

Seven
what meds for OI are working for you?
Midodrine: This will vasoconstrictor and raise my BP. I tried raising BP w salt, it masks the problem like the BP number shows ok but I am symptomatic, with midodrine, the BP is raised and the symptoms stopped.
Propanalol: Lowers HR, and controls my air hunger, I get less fatigue every day.
Florinef: Balance fluids in the body. I am on rest of this one because I was too puffy. This will raise the aldesteron hormone, this can be tested and if it is low they will prescribe.

What country are you?

Dechi

@Hotch Dr Hyde said the french sea salt (baleine)' content is close to what we find naturally in the blood.

As for stopping drinking at 2 pm, I started trying a few days ago but havent been able to. My eyes and mouth are dry and I need to drink. Also, when this urinating thing goes berzerk, it happens sometimes, I pee a whole lot more than I drink. Supplements, vitamins, coffee, too much proteins, anything will make me go more. So I am not even sure in those cases if drinking less would help.

Kati

Patient in training
Hi All,

Hotch
Hi @Hotch, incontinence is not a symptom of ME. Therefore the medical system, especially a good urologist may be able to help you out. We are also missing some valuable information, for instance, are you a man or a woman? how old are you? Have you delivered babies? Do you have a prostate problem? Do you have diabetes or any other conditions which could cause urgency? These things all matter. For women there are bladder/pelvic exercises you can do, but not before you undergo a physial exam to ensure you do not need pelvic floor surgery.

I would be careful, if I were you, to take on advice about how much fluid to drink or what remedies to take, until you have a proper medical evaluation. And just so you know, no one on this forum can do that :rolleyes: nor do you want anyone from here to do that :eek:

I hope your problem is fixable
Best wishes.

Dechi

Urinating more is indeed a symptom of ME. I suppose frequent and urgent urination can cause incontinence if your muscles aren't strong enough to hold it or for any other reason.

roller

wiggle jiggle
i :thumbsup: kati

she is mostly dead wrong, but maintains that for the 'meds' so typical bus conductor attitude with an ease...