• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Øystein Fluge to Give Public Talk in Norwich, UK, 26th Jan 2017

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Very pleased to see this. I know that livestreaming is expensive but I hope they might at least film it and upload it to YouTube later, for all of us who are housebound/bedbound and can't go to any of this stuff.

AndyPR

Very pleased to see this. I know that livestreaming is expensive but I hope they might at least film it and upload it to YouTube later, for all of us who are housebound/bedbound and can't go to any of this stuff.
I have asked if they will be doing this, the answer was essentially they'll see what they can do, hopefully they'll find a way.

Jo Best

Last year, Mady Hornig and Fane Mensah spoke at a Norwich meeting. Mady had been at the London Invest in ME Conference in May and returned to UK for the October meeting. Norwich is the base for the Invest in ME Research Centre of Excellence for ME and international collaboration is an integral feature of the work. I started a thread on yesterday's update on the UK Rituximab Research just fyi (I don't know if it was posted elsewhere).
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/uk-rituximab-research-update.47932

Jo Best

Last year, Mady Hornig and Fane Mensah spoke at a Norwich meeting. Mady had been at the London Invest in ME Conference in May and returned to UK for the October meeting. Norwich is the base for the Invest in ME Research Centre of Excellence for ME and international collaboration is an integral feature of the work.

Fane Mensah and Mady Hornig speaking in Norwich October 2015 -

Fane Mady Norwich.jpg

Fane and Mady pictured with Ian Gibson at Norwich October 2015 -

Ian Mady Fane Norwich.jpg

TrixieStix

Invest in ME Research have arranged for Dr Øystein Fluge from Haukeland University Hospital in Bergen, Norway, to give a public lecture in Norwich in January 2017.

http://www.investinme.org/ce-news-1611-04.shtml
Just watched the video of Dr. Fluge's presentation at a ME/CFS conference in Stockholm back in October. Great video. He mentions that they hope to release some findings very soon (weeks)once they clear peer review. Do you know if those findings have been released yet?

Here is a link to the Dr. Fluge presentation video from Stockholm (October)

TrixieStix

I think fluge and Mella have found something significant in metabolisme.
Hopefully they have come closer to figuring out which part of the energy pathway (ATP) system is causing the issue.

I'm intrigued by Dr. Fluge's comment in the above video that the body tries to use other things to make energy. He does not say what those other things are however? Also is the body able to actually produce energy using these other things or does it just try unsuccessfully?

Jo Best

What I particularly like about the work of Dr. Fluge's team (and Dr. Cambridge and Prof. Carding) is the way they're trying to formulate a hypothesis that ties together or makes sense of the complexities and multi-system nature of the disease. Perhaps this is because they are oncologists and can see that ME/CFS is a complex disease like cancer.

Last edited:

AndyPR

I'm intrigued by Dr. Fluge's comment in the above video that the body tries to use other things to make energy. He does not say what those other things are however? Also is the body able to actually produce energy using these other things or does it just try unsuccessfully?
If I remember correctly the body has a number of different ways to generate energy. The results Ron Davis has come up with point to amino acids being used up for energy in patients way beyond the extent they would be in healthy controls.

I'm sure @Hip or others more scientifically minded will be able to correct/confirm.

Jo Best

Just some more background to the collaboration between the UK and Norwegian rituximab researchers, from October 2015 -
The IiME B-cell / Rituximab Research UCL team recently visited Dr. Fluge and Professor Mella in Bergen as part of their ongoing collaboration. IiME wrote that at the EMERG (European ME Research Group) meeting yesterday it was nice of Dr. Fluge to recognise the important contribution that the UCL team are making to the Norwegian research at Haukeland and the importance of their continuing collaboration.
The IiME Rituxmab Research site is at http://www.ukrituximabtrial.org/
IiME announce the formation of EMERG -
http://www.investinme.org/IIME-Newslet-1507-06.htm
Let's Do It for ME blog - http://ldifme.org/emerg-new-era-in-me-research/

Bergen visit.jpg