• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

If you cannot sleep with Machine, try this?

*GG*

Was reading on my Drs website, and he mentions this product that goes in your nose to open the ariways more. I know some people cannot sleep with the machines, so figured I would mention this here.

His words:

"The treatment of sleep apnea can vary from weight loss (always a good suggestion for those who carry extra weight) to treatment of the cause of sinus and adenoid swelling (most frequently allergy), to surgery, in extreme cases. And of course, there are machines, CPAP and BiPAP being the most common, that push air through the obstructions at night.

These machines have become less obtrusive torture in recent years, but still are not tolerable for many. I have my patients try a small contraption that fits into the nostrils easily, and sometimes provides the slight increase in breathing passages that improves the sleep. The inserts can be found at www.proventtherapy.com

http://www.proventtherapy.com

GG

Edit: I have nothing to gain here, just trying to help people out, perhaps this product is a good fit for your situation.

Last edited:

perchance dreamer

I tried Provent, but it seemed to reduce my breathing space since they sit inside the nose, which made it harder for me to breathe. I could only keep them in less than 30 seconds while awake. I could never sleep with them in.

I have trouble breathing through my nose, anyway, so they might work fine if you have unimpeded nasal flow and no congestion. I do applaud efforts to develop non-Cpap ways to help apnea patients.

*GG*

I tried Provent, but it seemed to reduce my breathing space since they sit inside the nose, which made it harder for me to breathe. I could only keep them in less than 30 seconds while awake. I could never sleep with them in.

I have trouble breathing through my nose, anyway, so they might work fine if you have unimpeded nasal flow and no congestion. I do applaud efforts to develop non-Cpap ways to help apnea patients.

Oh, didn't realize that, almost looks like they would go just outside of nostrils, although, how would it stay in place then? Just thinking I should look into this for when I travel, and cannot use machine (no power/camping).

GG

perchance dreamer

@*GG*, you are right. It's been so long since I tried them that I forgot that they do fit over the nose. You can look at youtube videos to see how they work.

For whatever reason, I felt like I couldn't breathe, so they aren't for me.

My ENT gave me a script and a coupon to buy just 10 for a very inexpensive price. It's worth a shot. Apparently, they work for some people.