• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best way to increase B12 levels?

JoanDublin

Quick question for those that know about these things. My young lads B12 results show that he is below the low range level for B12. His are at 206 and the range starts from 210 upwards.

His doc says to take B12 supplements which we've started but I was wondering if he shouldn't perhaps ask for b12 injections as a faster way of increasing his levels?

Just not sure how fast the oral supplements generally work to increase it.

What would you do?

Helen

I was wondering if he shouldn't perhaps ask for b12 injections as a faster way of increasing his levels?
My doctors (B12 experts) always put me on methylcobalamin injections every second day for three weeks to start with when I have had serious deficiences. Your sons lab result would be considered very low and serious by them. Injected B12 passes the blood brain barrier better which is important too.

Maybe your son´s defieciency will show up to be a dependency of B12, not only a deficiency, so be sure to follow his symtoms as the lab values may not show the state in the tissues.

Valentijn

His doc says to take B12 supplements which we've started but I was wondering if he shouldn't perhaps ask for b12 injections as a faster way of increasing his levels?
B12 is absorbed quite slowly in the gut, so most of an oral supplement isn't going to going to make it to somewhere useful. Injecting bypasses that problem.

JoanDublin

My doctors (B12 experts) always put me on methylcobalamin injections every second day for three weeks to start with when I have had serious deficiences. Your sons lab result would be considered very low and serious by them. Injected B12 passes the blood brain barrier better which is important too.

Maybe your son´s defieciency will show up to be a dependency of B12, not only a deficiency, so be sure to follow his symtoms as the lab values may not show the state in the tissues.

Thanks for replying Helen. I was caught a bit off guard when the doctor rang me yesterday and having mulled it over I was thinking that those levels are very serious and probably need quicker intervention. You've convinced me. I'm going to ring him and ask him to give him the injections and seek a follow up plan for monitoring. Thanks a million!

JoanDublin

B12 is absorbed quite slowly in the gut, so most of an oral supplement isn't going to going to make it to somewhere useful. Injecting bypasses that problem.

Thanks Valentijn. Yes I remember thinking I had read that about B12. Good to have it confirmed. Definitely think the injection is the way to go, even though the young lad won't be happy. He hates injections

alicec

I don't think there's much (if any?) evidence that B12 is absorbed well via the skin.

Greg from B12 oils says that the he gets about 80% absorption of his B12 oil product. I haven't seen the studies that this is based on, don't know if they are published, but he is a reputable scientist who has published in B12 research prior to the commercial venture.

Eastman

I used my own DIY B12 lotion - about 180 mcg daily - and found it very stimulating. Someone else who used the same amount ended up with swollen feet for about a month after stopping the B12. He was later diagnosed with atrial fibrillation and is still catching up on his potassium.

Now I only use it occasionally.