• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Natural ways to raise cortisol?

Horizon

My cortisol has been low. Anyone know natural ways to raise levels without taking steroids?

tdog333

I think there's ACE extract, isn't that just bovine cortisol? (Adrenal Core Extract) That would directly boost cortisol without using prednisone,hydro, or other steroids. Jarrow makes a good one i think?

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
Non-DGL licorice is the kind that will help cortisol levels stay higher. But keep an eye on your blood pressure, as it can raise BP - though often that's what people want, just be aware of this. DGL-licorice is often used for digestive issues but I don't think will do anything for cortisol.

alice111

Progesterone or pregnenelone can help boost, I also second the licorice but be be careful with that one cus it's pooooteeeent (I couldn't tolerate it)

Vineyard1

My cortisol has been low. Anyone know natural ways to raise levels without taking steroids?

Thank you for asking this question as my cortisol levels are very low as well and likely contributing to my hypotension, severe exhaustion, inflammation etc.. I just reached out to a Naturopathic Doctor for help but no appointments available until late January.

Horizon

Thank you for asking this question as my cortisol levels are very low as well and likely contributing to my hypotension, severe exhaustion, inflammation etc.. I just reached out to a Naturopathic Doctor for help but no appointments available until late January.

I would also like to find a ND or holistic practitioner in my area, it is so hard to filter the real professionals from the quacks though.

Paralee

@Horizon , I am on my first day of bovine adrenals. The dr's didn't seem to care that my cortisol levels had dropped from 22 in the morning to 6, so between talking to two med. sources I decided to try the bovine adrenals.

My neuropathy is almost gone, I have energy, I am in a good mood...........I hate to say too much because it's only the first day and I only took 1/2. I took 1/4 yesterday evening to make sure it wouldn't swamp me on Thanksgiving Day (today) and I am up doing things I haven't been able to do in weeks - every once in a while I get a good spell.

I'm almost positive my cortisol tanked on the cipro some, and then later more on the B6 toxicity. I was going to make a post about this but found yours.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Paralee

@tdog333 , would the ACE leave out the adrenals? I've heard leaving the adrenals in aren't the best way.

I had one good day and 1/2 good day on the bovine with adrenals. I wonder if leaving out the adrenals themselves is the best way.

@Horizon , there are some supplements other than from animals that can help raise. As soon as I find some, which may not be until Monday or Tuesday, I'll check and see if you've gotten any further with help on this. I will be asking a med/nat person about this.

Paralee

@alice111 , at one time I had high cortisol and took progesterone to take it down and it worked.....until it didn't, I guess. I got to feeling pretty bad until I went off the progesterone.
The explanation I was given is that the progesterone will bring high cortisol down until it's at about the right level, but if you keep taking it it goes back up? Is this true? Thank you.

alice111

@Paralee oh that's so interesting you took it for high cortisol??! I was given it for low cortisol. I'm not expert, but from things I've read and my understanding it does help increase as it's a precursor. You can google steroid pathways in images and you can see lots of info there, how progetserone becomes cortisol. I have heard though that DHEA can lower high cortisol... so.... perhaps the progesterone was being converted to dhea, therefore lowering cortisol? Just a thought.

I would give it a try, but honestly for me nothing has helped my adrenals, I have tried evvveeeeerryyything. I know there are a lot of people out there though who have major improvements by treating adrenals. It's my own personal theory that for those of us who have a virus or something like that going on, adrenals are not going to get fixed until that's dealt with... but that's just my current theory haha!

Paralee

@alice111 , it was my understanding it was self regulating, but the dhea could have been in on the process. I am postmenopause, though, and everything was low, cortisol was high. The progesterone brought it down very fast and I became an enigma, I guess, because it was supposed to take a lot longer than a few days.
|Now I'm tempted to try some to see if it will come up, I was just afraid my understanding was wrong and it would make it go down even more.