• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can someone help me interpret my Genetic Genie results?

VDR Bsm rs1544410 TT +/+
MAO-A R297R rs6323 TT +/+
MTHFR 03 P39P rs2066470 AG +/-
MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 GG +/+
BHMT-02 rs567754 CT +/-
BHMT-08 rs651852 TT +/+

I dealing with severe fatigue that seems to only be getting worse. As well my anxiety/ depression is getting much worse. If anyone could help me figure out what supplements I should/ any other actions I should take according to my results that would be great!

Last edited:

alicec

The only one of those SNPs which does anything is the MTHFR A1298C. This would have a small slowing effect on the enzyme.

The SNPs are not causing your health problems.

caledonia

Your main methylation pathway has some slowing, but not major. Your secondary methylation pathway has some slowing, but since the main one is mostly ok, it's not really an issue.

MAO A could produce some mental health issues, especially in conjunction with MTHFR A1298C. So I would actually be more concerned about mental health issue with these SNPs.

Might want to get your vitamin D levels checked.

Also run your SNPs through the Detox report on Genetic Genie. The important one in terms of our disease is glutathione (GST).

The other detox SNPs can be helpful for general health, which medications you might have trouble with, which toxins to avoid, etc.

See my signature link for the SNPs Interpretation Guide.

alicec

MAO A could produce some mental health issues, especially in conjunction with MTHFR A1298C. So I would actually be more concerned about mental health issue with these SNPs.

MAO A R297R is a synonymous codon change. In other words the product of the variant gene is identical to that of the wildtype or ancestral gene.

It does not produce a slower enzyme, nor is it the so-called warrier gene, both of which are erroneously claimed in internet articles.

Actually there are very few MAOA SNPs which have any marked effect. Here is a post about those that do.

As for the association with mental illness, neither this SNP nor the MTHFR A1298C have withstood the rigour of extensive genome-wide association studies using robust statistics. There is no link.

Here are my detox results:

CYP1A2 164A>C rs762551 AC +/-
CYP1B1 L432V rs1056836 CG +/-
CYP1B1 N453S rs1800440 CT +/-
CYP1B1 R48G rs10012 CG +/-
CYP2D6 S486T rs1135840 CG +/
CYP2D6 2850C>T rs16947 AG +/-
CYP2E1*1B 9896C>G rs2070676 CG +/-
CYP3A4*1B rs2740574 CT +/-
GSTP1 I105V rs1695 AG +/- -------------------------------------- is this the Gluatathoine SNP you were talking about caledonia?
SOD2 A16V rs4880 GG +/+ my only homozygous mutation
NAT2 I114T rs1801280 CT +/-
NAT2 K268R rs1208 AG +/-

GSTT1 Present (it says this is impossible to determine from 23 and me results)

Also I heard that (800 mcg of Pure Non-racemic L-methylfolate | 1,000 mcg of Methylcobalamin and Adenosylcobalamin Vitamin B12 was helpful for people with MTHFR Snp problems) is that untrue?

alicec

Some of those SNPs may have an effect on enzyme activity but it is often combinations, rather than individual SNPs that are important, particularly for the CYPs and NAT2.

If you run your 23andme results through Promethease or codegen.eu you will get a better analysis of the combinations. However 23andme doesn't always test enough SNPs to get clear results - eg for CYP 2D6.

That GSTP1 SNP does cause some slowing of the enzyme though I think +/- is not great.

There are conflicting reports about the SOD2 SNP - some say GG is detrimental, some that it is an advantage.

Also I heard that (800 mcg of Pure Non-racemic L-methylfolate | 1,000 mcg of Methylcobalamin and Adenosylcobalamin Vitamin B12 was helpful for people with MTHFR Snp problems) is that untrue?

Those vitamins could be helpful though I wouldn't be fixing on those amounts. How much to take is something you would need to work out empirically. Some people are very sensitive and can cope with only tiny amounts. Others benefit from high doses. The cofactor for the enzyme, B2, might be a useful addition.

Whether or not you benefit from B12/folate supplementation has little to do with SNPs I think. There are many reasons why these pathways might not be functioning well, especially in people with CFS/ME.

The SNP that you have has only a small effect and healthy people eating well can cope with it without difficulty. When added demand is placed on the system (eg pregnancy, illnesses like CFS/ME which derange metabolism) then some supplementation could well be helpful.

caledonia

CYP1A2 164A>C rs762551 AC +/-
CYP1B1 L432V rs1056836 CG +/-
CYP1B1 N453S rs1800440 CT +/-
CYP1B1 R48G rs10012 CG +/-
CYP2D6 S486T rs1135840 CG +/
CYP2D6 2850C>T rs16947 AG +/-
CYP2E1*1B 9896C>G rs2070676 CG +/-
CYP3A4*1B rs2740574 CT +/-
GSTP1 I105V rs1695 AG +/- -------------------------------------- is this the Gluatathoine SNP you were talking about caledonia?
SOD2 A16V rs4880 GG +/+ my only homozygous mutation
NAT2 I114T rs1801280 CT +/-
NAT2 K268R rs1208 AG +/-

GSTT1 Present (it says this is impossible to determine from 23 and me results)

Those look pretty much like mine. The CYP1B1s are associated with estrogen dominance. The CYP2D6s and the next few are associated with problems with various meds. An upregulated SNP can be as problematic as a downregulated one. For example, for benzodiazepams, I do better with a longer acting variety like clonazepam instead of a short acting one like xanax.

Yes the GSTP is a glutathione SNP.

On a test my doc had me take, the SOD2 was reversed. I come out +/+ on this detox test, and -/- on my docs test. Now I'm confused - do I have a SOD2 issue or not?

I do have testing to show that I have a lot of oxidative stress, so that would make me think that I am indeed +/+ for this SNP. Or the mercury I have obliterates that and is the sole cause of my oxidative stress.

The NATs are associated with lung cancer, so best to avoid certain toxins and eat your fruits and veggies.

I forgot to mention, that Ben Lynch has a new interpretation called Strategene for $45. He spent two years researching it and I would actually defer to that for the methylation portion.
https://seekinghealth.org/product/strategene/

He only includes significant SNPs and that does include MAO A. He also has one called MAO B.

The detox interpretation is still good as far as I know. It's based on the Detoxigenomics test.

Remember that SNPs are just potentials, and just because you have certain SNPs, it doesn't mean they're expressed. So you if you don't have issues, you don't need to supplement. You could have the worst SNPs in the world and be perfectly healthy if your environment was healthy. The environmental portion is called epigenetics, or the environment's effect on gene expression.

Also if you decide to supplement with folate and B12, the amounts you quoted are normal ending amounts. If you're sick enough to be on this forum, I would suggest not starting with that amount. Instead start with very tiny amounts such as under 50mcg and gradually work your way up as tolerated. Even 50mcg could be too much for some people.

Have some nicotinic acid form of niacin and potassium gluconate on hand before starting, in case you run into problems.

The reason is that when you take these B vitamins, you're manipulating your methylation cycle, which controls over 40 major reactions in the body.

I have more info in my Start Low and Go Slow document, and also Roadblocks to Successful Methylation.