• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Awful Biopsychosocial Pain Article (mentions FM/CFS/ME)

Old Bones

I wasn't sure if I should post this in "Joke of the Day", or news. Here's the link to an article called "Is your mind at fault for your chronic back pain": http://www.thesangaiexpress.com/mind-fault-chronic-back-pain/

Replace the words "back pain" with "ME" and you'd think he was writing about us, which he actually did at one point. Here are my favourite comments:

"This column is a kind of new prescription to rid people the heebie-jeebies of one of the greatest disabilities and socially superfluous blob of chronic back pain." What???

"In Britain where I live with a population of 64 million and where people get paid for being off work (National Health Security Benefit) . . . While I was practising, it was very difficult to sign off anybody that he was pain free, based on the absence of physical signs. . . More men complained of back pain than women . . .Women as tougher housewives, were more mentally resolute and less weepy." Way to go, women (for a change)!

"There is a curious disease called Fibromyalgia [Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)], which is more psychological than physical. I've seen a score of them. There are no physical signs. Diagnosis depends on the narrative of the patient about unexplainable pain all over the body with extreme tiredness. They are mostly women, complaining of inability to bend to do household chores." Oops, spoke too soon about those pesky housewives.

"A study published in the British Medical Journal found that people with long term back pain showed fewer improvements after spinal fusion surgery than with "cognitive intervention" (psychological counselling) with targeted exercises. Long-standing back pain remains a cryptic genre where visceral and emotional reaction is the whole point. Here comes David Rogers (author of referenced book) with 20 years' experience and brainstorm ideas. He has done research and identified psychological and social factors including depression and anxiety that indicate how long the pain would last, and the disability would continue, though pain is nothing to do with physical factors. He believes thinking patterns affect back pain and there are different techniques that can help. His method is called "biopsychosocial". . . . Rogers is saying that chronic back pain is mostly in the mind."

"More importantly, patients are taught to identify their thinking patterns that could be making their pain worse. Many studies of the psychology of back pain shows that 'fear of moving' in case you'll cause damage and thus losing self-confidence, causing distress with anxiety and depression, is the usual 'thinking pattern' in people with persistent back pain."

Gee, I sure feel better educated now. Anyone wishing to respond can contact the writer at:
irengbammmsingh@gmail.com

But, after visiting the author's website, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. www.drimsingh.co.uk

erin

This is terrible. Truly awful.
One of my friend forced by her GP to attend to a pain clinic, she was handled by the above sort of mentality management there. They messed her so much, both psychologically and physically she is not only ended up disabled and very depressed. She lost all her confidence, a sharp talented lady she was. Now housebound, broke and severely depressed. I am so upset for her.
I don't know how can one deal with these fascists?

sarah darwins

Ah, all is clear. A few months ago he read Suzanne O'Sullivan's book:

http://www.drimsingh.co.uk/2015/08/...physical-illness-caused-by-our-stressed-mind/

He's a retired doctor who spent much of his career in Bradford, UK. He now seems to spend his days pontificating on everything under the sun (some of his musings are quite entertaining in a bonkers sort of way).

He's not worth worrying about, except as an example of the damage done by O'Sullivan's brand of gosh-isn't-the-mind-an-amazing-thing-who'd-have-thought-it-where's-my-royalty-cheque brand of pop science twaddle.

Barry53

upload_2016-11-13_19-6-51.png

Where is this person ...
upload_2016-11-13_19-8-53.png

... coming from?

Cannot help laughing, it is hilarious really.

Last edited:

IreneF

He's unclear on the concept of the "strength" of the immune system. If you are infected by a rhinovirus, but don't have cold symptoms, your immune system--at least the parts that are supposed to go after those viruses--is
underactive.

And why, why, why is fibromyalgia associated with CFS/ME?

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates

RogerBlack

He's unclear on the concept of the "strength" of the immune system. If you are infected by a rhinovirus, but don't have cold symptoms, your immune system--at least the parts that are supposed to go after those viruses--is
underactive.

Neglecting the other points, this may not be incorrect for some viruses - I have not checked for rhinos.
In general, for viruses that do not kill cells in large numbers (most disease causing viruses that make you feel bad, but nearly all people recover from), the symptoms are not caused by the virus, but by the reaction of the immune system to the virus.
Damping down some aspects of the immune system can, while not affecting much the eventual clearance of the virus, greatly reduce symptoms due to the immune reaction to that virus.