• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Betrayal Series: "The Autoimmune Disease Solution . . ."

Old Bones

This is not an endorsement, since I've only seen the trailer and promotional material. However, I've just become aware of a free seven-part series starting next week called: "The Autoimmune Disease Solution They're Not Telling You". The content is described as:

"More Than 85+ Experts, including Doctors, Scientists, World Leading Functional Medicine Experts, as well as Sufferers now in Remission, are Lifting The Lid On The Auto-Immune Industry"

Some of the speakers will be familiar to those who have viewed/listened to various on-line health forums during the past few years.

The registration link is: https://dd340.infusionsoft.com/app/page/534511450740642b6f443e310cee3306

I'm posting this for two reasons. First, many of us have co-morbid autoimmune diagnoses. And, some researchers have expressed an opinion that ME is an autoimmune illness.

Second, I found one segment of the "trailer" particularly moving, and the type of message ME patients would love to hear. The narrator's anguish is palpable as he describes a 72-year-old patient who died of a heart attack on the way home from a blood test. He says:

"Ray's death hit me hard. I don't hold back anymore. We aren't holding back in "Betrayal". This is to carry the message out to the world. Not on my watch, never again."

Perhaps the series will include powerful examples that demonstrate how our advocates can get the message out that ME patients have also been betrayed by the mainstream medical establishment.

Last edited:

Hutan

I googled Dr Josh Axe, one of the doctors shown in the trailer.

https://draxe.com/4-steps-to-heal-leaky-gut-and-autoimmune-disease/

He seems to be suggesting leaky gut is the cause of allergies and autoimmunity - with undigested food and bacteria leaking through to the blood stream and causing problems. He points the finger at antibiotics causing dysbiosis, grains selected for high resistance to pests that therefore have high levels of lectins, emulsifiers in processed foods that disrupt the mucus lining of the gut, sugar, chronic stress and more.

The website of Dr Izabella Wentz, another doctor mentioned in the trailer, is similar - a good-looking young doctor promoting various products related to clean eating, reduced stress lifestyle and leaky gut. She also mentions gut infections as a factor.
http://thyroidpharmacist.com/articl...ission-after-helicobacter-pylori-eradication/

Old Bones

I googled Dr Josh Axe . . . The website of Dr Izabella Wentz, another doctor mentioned in the trailer, is similar . . .

Although not the solution for ME, based on the vast number of biological abnormalities being found by researchers, I believe some of the treatment strategies being used by doctors such as these could help us improve a subset of our symptoms. Even Doctor Komaroff, in his recent excellent talk, mentioned the microbiome being involved in the illness.

Last edited:

Old Bones

Sales, sales, sales. Marketing. Next they will say they have all what you need to fix the gut, for a price.

Sorry I don't buy it.

I don't deny the sales and marketing strategy with on-line offerings such as this one. Nevertheless, in my experience it hasn't been high pressure. And, many of the presenters are extremely well-educated, knowledgeable and experienced. With functional medicine practitioners charging between $900 and $1000 per hour in my city, getting information for free can be a viable alternative for discerning patients. Yes, some of them sell products. But some of them don't. Regardless, you don't have to buy.

Thanks for sharing the info, @Old Bones, and for those who commented on the personnel involved.

As a matter of fact, there was sort of a clue in the title as to what this was going to be about (my bolding):
"More Than 85+ Experts, including Doctors, Scientists, World Leading Functional Medicine Experts, as well as Sufferers now in Remission, are Lifting The Lid On The Auto-Immune Industry"
This just gives you a wee hint that they're going to offer secrets about how to recover.

To me, its unacceptable to claim you can cure diseases like MS or lupus with diet. Or even bring about significant remission. There's not the evidence. I don't care if the motive is financial gain or personal conviction or a bit of both. Its still not okay.

Effi

Did anybody watch episode 1? I didn't plan on watching but in the end I did, cause in the past I've learned a thing or two from these kinds of 'free events' (like @Old Bones said - free info can be helpful sometimes). But I must say I did not like it one bit. I feel like they were not talking about autoimmune disease, but about immune related symptoms, i.e. things like gluten sensitivity, minor allergies, etc. And that of course can be relieved (or 'reversed' as they like to call it) by diet. I found it overall underwhelming. Would love to hear what others thought about it.

Old Bones

Did anybody watch episode 1? Would love to hear what others thought about it.

I have watched the first three episodes. Episode 1 was aired in two versions. Like @Effi , I was disappointed in the first version. The second version, although improved, was too general to provide much worthwhile content for me.

The second episode was not bad, although without much new for those who have been following the various health forums online over the years.

I was more impressed with Episode 3. It included more strategies than the first two -- a few I hadn't heard of yet. But they did mainly involve diet. I'll probably watch it again, as a person with at least three autoimmune conditions (rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis and autoimmune thyroid disease). In my case, diet does make a difference, although not a cure, and this has been proven by blood test results. Even my rheumatologist and GP agree this is the case.

Some of the interviews were recorded at the International Congress on Autoimmunity in Germany earlier this year. Many of those interviewed are leaders in the field with very good credentials. Their advice may not be helpful for everyone, but if the remaining episodes are comparable to Episode 3, I will consider watching time well-spent.

Last edited:

Effi

In my case, diet does make a difference, although not a cure
Oh, I'm convinced it makes a difference, it does for me too, but they talk about 'reversing' and 'curing'. That's a bit far fetched IMO. I might check out episode 3. :)

Old Bones

. . . but they talk about 'reversing' and 'curing'. That's a bit far fetched IMO.

@Effi I've now watched Episode 4, and did so keeping in mind your comment above. The interviewed doctors and researchers are actually quite nuanced in what they say, using words such as "calm down", "improve" and "controlled", although there was one reference to "resolved" and one to "reversed". Similarly, phrases such as "not optimal to eat", "can be problematic for certain people" and "lots of shades of grey" also indicate these practitioners do not consider a "one size fits all" approach.

Actually, I was quite impressed with this episode. Anyone wishing to minimize the time spent watching can easily skip the first five minutes (content intended to "tug at your heartstrings") and the last ten minutes (testimonials and promotion). The "meat" of the episode is in the middle, and worthwhile, IMO.

Effi

"tug at your heartstrings"
Yeah I'm not a fan of tear-jerking. ;) But thanks for letting us know which part is interesting, I'll skip right through to that then! (And I agree, most of the interviewed doctors use pretty nuanced descriptions.)